Reason Hypersampled Pianos?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Captain Boyfriend

29 Aug 2016

I was going to buy the Chenille RE but noticed a pretty great sale on this refill: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/reason-pianos/

I use piano a lot. Is this sample set as great as the video boasts? What are your experiences? :puf_smile:

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2016

Edit ---

Correction: Radical Piano is an entirely different product with different recordings.

Original ---

Reason pianos, like any piano sample set is always subject to taste.

These are recorded to sound great in a mix, so playing them solo might sound a little odd if you're accustomed to a particular tone.

The same samples are used in Radical Piano (currently on sale for a similar price), so check out that Rack Extension to see if you enjoy playing with this sound set.
Last edited by avasopht on 30 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Boyfriend

30 Aug 2016

avasopht wrote:Reason pianos, like any piano sample set is always subject to taste.

These are recorded to sound great in a mix, so playing them solo might sound a little odd if you're accustomed to a particular tone.

The same samples are used in Radical Piano (currently on sale for a similar price), so check out that Rack Extension to see if you enjoy playing with this sound set.
Thanks for the reply. I have the Reason Drum sample kits and I think they sound great. I really liked that they recorded the samples on many different mic patterns. I'm not accustomed to anything in particular, I use the A Grand Piano patch most of the tim.

Is the difference between the Radical Piano set and the hypersampled set only that the Radical Piano has additional processing (envelope, tuning, reverb, EQ, etc) features? Since they both use the same samples and mic captures, I mean.

bpmorton

30 Aug 2016

Reason Pianos one more mic position than Radical Piano. The ID8 piano uses some of the same samples from the Steinway and upright so that could give you a clue as to how they sound.

Reason Pianos mics:
Amb stereo
Bottom mono
Close stereo
Floor stereo
Jazz stereo
Ribbon mono

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Aug 2016

avasopht wrote:
That is untrue: Radical Pianos RE and Reason Pianos ReFill are entirely different products featuring different pianos. (I was corrected on this matter by PH themselves ;) )

JNeffLind

30 Aug 2016

Jiggery is right, and to my ear Reason Pianos is much more authentic. Especially if you use the sustain pedal and get the "sympathetic resonance" (unplayed strings resonating from sound waves of played strings) it really sounds amazing. I believe it's hands down the best piano in Reason. There are three different pianos with tons of mic positions, not to mention tons of cool combinators with all sorts of effects heavy patches. I highly recommend it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
avasopht wrote:
That is untrue: Radical Pianos RE and Reason Pianos ReFill are entirely different products featuring different pianos. (I was corrected on this matter by PH themselves ;) )
Aah. My bad!

I've corrected my post.

QVprod

30 Aug 2016

For $39 it's a fantastic deal. It's the best realistic sounding piano option that exists for Reason. A major step above the 'A Grand Piano' patch

Loque

31 Aug 2016

I have them, and they sound clear and great, except one note had some jitter in it - dont know if it should be, but i dont like it. I think it was E3, but not sure atm.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
avasopht wrote:
Maybe they were thinking about ID8, which IIRC uses a subset of the Steinway samples from Reason Pianos for the grand piano (please correct if I'm wrong about this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Captain Boyfriend

04 Sep 2016

Well I bought it, the hypersampled refill. I'm playing around mostly with the upright for now. Sounds pretty damn good, definitely better than the stock piano patches. I really like having all these mic options.

• Information