UK bass?

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
JesusChristIsLord

03 Aug 2015

Anyone here making some UK bass?
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior :thumbs_up:

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2015

WTF is UK Bass. Is it something that comes from the bottoms of UK Subs?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Scoobyman II

03 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:WTF is UK Bass. Is it something that comes from the bottoms of UK Subs?

That's some nice bass playing. The lyrics aren't very sophisticated. I think the original punk revolution was on its way out at this point.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2015

I found this attempt at a definition:

"UK Bass is a loose term used for certain stylistic developments in British dance music, arising from Dubstep and UK Funky in 2009 and 2010. It includes a strong emphasis on bass and sub-bass, but tends to experiment with the structure and format, as well as variations of the bpm. Influences from other genres, such as Juke, Footwork, Techno, House, UK Garage, Contemporary R&B and Wonky, are frequently repurposed and filtered through a Dubstep and UK Funky sound. The result is a varied range of sounds that stretches or breaks the barriers for the latter genres."

I love that new genre can be defined by something as irrelevant as a change of a few BPM.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

JesusChristIsLord

03 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:WTF is UK Bass. Is it something that comes from the bottoms of UK Subs?

http://ukbassradio.com

Last edited by JesusChristIsLord on 04 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Thousand Ways

04 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:Juke, Footwork, Techno, House, UK Garage, Contemporary R&B and Wonky, are frequently repurposed and filtered through a Dubstep and UK Funky sound.
Nine genres in one sentence, and I've never previously heard of four of them.

Dante

04 Aug 2015

The most important was of course John Wetton, who played bass in the band UK :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wetton

pushedbutton

04 Aug 2015

I'm in the uk and I consider bass to be an element of my production work.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ronin

04 Aug 2015

pushedbutton wrote:I'm in the uk and I consider bass to be an element of my production work.
Same here, but I dont make anything like what has been posted here. I hadn't actually heard that term before.
(I make stuff thats more in the dub/breaks/drum'n'bass type area)

JoshuaPhilgarlic

04 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:... such as Juke, Footwork, ... and Wonky, ...
ROFL, never heard of that. I'll create my own genre now and I'll name it Dumb Hat, because the hihat is stupidly loud :mrgreen: .

JesusChristIsLord

04 Aug 2015

I was hoping to hear some UK Bass music from people here, not people ridiculing the existence of it as a sub-genre... :(
I'll look elsewhere then.
Thanks!

Ronin

04 Aug 2015

Yeah, the ridicule is a bit unnecessary, but its only joking about.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2015

Sorry Mr Lord

Honestly it seems such an obscure sub-genre and I was really asking what it was as you assumed we all knew - and combining the stuff I had just heard on the news about submarines (and a little scatology for good measure).

Can't say I have a sense of what the sub-sub-genre really is as the examples you gave didn't seem significantly different from D&B etc (or even consistent from track to track). But this is not a set of styling I like at all so take the answer to your initial Q as a No from me.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

JesusChristIsLord

04 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:Sorry Mr Lord

Honestly it seems such an obscure sub-genre and I was really asking what it was as you assumed we all knew - and combining the stuff I had just heard on the news about submarines (and a little scatology for good measure).

Can't say I have a sense of what the sub-sub-genre really is as the examples you gave didn't seem significantly different from D&B etc (or even consistent from track to track). But this is not a set of styling I like at all so take the answer to your initial Q as a No from me.

Thanks Benedict. :)

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Felt like I bit into a Mitsubishi or Mercedes when the chirp sounded.

UNDENIABLY CLASSIC TUNE

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Garage, Bass House, UK Bass with a straight beat and or 2 step rhythm (Super Swing)
Goes really good or glues well with Breaks from 126 - 160+

If Garage and Breaks are coming back strong, confirmed by the rise in acid house, no thanks to Aira and then 1st and 2nd Gen Ravers wanting to turn back the clocks to good music this can only mean 2 tings.
The return of Ali G
The Return of Red Dwarf
the Return of Mr Bean

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

JesusChristIsLord wrote:I was hoping to hear some UK Bass music from people here, not people ridiculing the existence of it as a sub-genre... :(
I'll look elsewhere then.
Thanks!
I would be more than happy to start a project with someone such as yourself. I like the genre a lot. It's a fresh vibe too. The music is fuller on this cycle.

I've taken some jabs, quick jabs.

I find myself in Breaks, House, Techno and Electro most of the time.

I feel that having the right vocal 1 shots, verses and dub stabs and effects essential. Before anything else. It feels as tho we can paint a image/story starting there.

If I send you anything in that Genre, it wouldn't be complete. Either due to family/time constraints or my ADHD.

I did make one recently with the Sebastian Leger Chris Lake Aqua light Melody.

it didn't take off as "Bass" Track but the dubby/ragga vox and stabs are there and it folds into a "tech funk" Simon Shackleton/D Ramirez Rhythm.

It may or may not be a good musical bed, but it might be a fun project.
Just picked up Serum. That could anchor the low end very well.

Let me know if you're interested.

paulm0000

10 Aug 2015

Garage, Bass House, UK Bass & jackin house

grow up listening to niche/bassline house/speed garage

and the classic posted above by sneakerpimps :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:

now produce along the lines of organ based house or heavy bass orientated bass house music

i dont know if it counts lol

paul.

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

JesusChristIsLord wrote:

http://ukbassradio.com

Yeah I like this stuff. Some tracks more than others. It's rather varied. I hadn't heard of the genre name UK Bass either - but I do enjoy the darker, melancholic and techy side of Dubstep (as I would describe it), like in that first Soundcloud mix, there's a track by VVV I think, @8:30, played that on my own radioshow too. I've always simply regarded stuff like that as the kind of Dubstep I like, as opposed to the screechy Skrillexy stuff.

Edit: track @20:00 is fantastic too.

• Information