Trance - uplifting old school style

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Digitus

21 Nov 2015

I just finished this track and I could use some feedback. It sounds very 1990's but that's my favorite era of trance so I'm okay with that... :puf_wink:

Aggie

22 Nov 2015

da da da daa da - da da da daa da.... :)

I think maybe if your first lead was 1 key lower and a tad harder, it would work to support the thickness of the whole piece - maybe try it out?

Thanks for the share
Aggie
Adam Gill | BandLab

jappe

22 Nov 2015

Hello Digitus!

Typing while listening:

intro sounds good. I'd add some more movement though, repetition meter alerts a bit.
The melodies makes me guess the genre would be dreamy trance? Perhaps some more reverb to make it even more dreamy.

Sounds are good.

It sounds like you have something good to build on and personally I'd like some twist/direction change, more automation and other things to make it engaging throughout the whole tune. Or perhaps even more dreamy so I can float away when listening to it from start to end.

VNUprod

22 Nov 2015

Cool! I find the HiHats a bit loud and may be overall a bit more of about 300 Hz and a bit less of about 800 Hz would add some warmth. Anyway, nicely done :)

Digitus

22 Nov 2015

Aggie wrote:da da da daa da - da da da daa da.... :)

I think maybe if your first lead was 1 key lower and a tad harder, it would work to support the thickness of the whole piece - maybe try it out?

Thanks for the share
Aggie
Yeah, the 1st lead is a Subtractor patch run through Fatuator, Ubik-A, BV15, and Scream 4. . It sounds like fuzzy guitar with lots of reverb but maybe it's a bit over washed. I'll try layering it with something lower and sharper.
jappe wrote:Hello Digitus!

Typing while listening:

intro sounds good. I'd add some more movement though, repetition meter alerts a bit.
The melodies makes me guess the genre would be dreamy trance? Perhaps some more reverb to make it even more dreamy.

Sounds are good.

It sounds like you have something good to build on and personally I'd like some twist/direction change, more automation and other things to make it engaging throughout the whole tune. Or perhaps even more dreamy so I can float away when listening to it from start to end.
So what sort of things do you feel would give it more movement? Should I add more filter sweeps, fx sweeps, and or melodic content? Whenever I write trance I seem to get stuck in formulaic style that causes a sort of tunnel vision. It's a tricky genre because if you break the rules you end up with something that isn't quite trance, but if you follow the rules too closely you get stuck in a formula rut. I would've thought I'd have figured it out by now. *sigh*

As for the genre, I didn't even know there was a genre of trance called dreamy trance but I'm not surprised. I think it fits so thanks.
VNUprod wrote:Cool! I find the HiHats a bit loud and may be overall a bit more of about 300 Hz and a bit less of about 800 Hz would add some warmth. Anyway, nicely done :)
Okay, I will adjust them. After working on a track for long hours, it's hard to hear things objectively so thanks for the tip.

VNUprod

23 Nov 2015

It is just my personal perspective and Ideas that came to (MY) mind. Just wantetd to clarify this ;)

XysteR

23 Nov 2015

Sounds cool, it's a fun track! I had a listen through the monitors whilst making a cup of tea earlier and my knee started jigging around lol

Digitus

24 Nov 2015

VNUprod wrote:It is just my personal perspective and Ideas that came to (MY) mind. Just wanted to clarify this ;)
That's the whole point of getting another point of view...lol. No worries, it's all good and thank you for sharing... :puf_wink:
XysteR wrote:Sounds cool, it's a fun track! I had a listen through the monitors whilst making a cup of tea earlier and my knee started jigging around lol
Thank you, I'm really glad you enjoyed it although you might wanna have a doctor take a look at that jigging knee...lol :puf_bigsmile:

ImageImageImage

XysteR

24 Nov 2015

Digitus wrote:
VNUprod wrote:It is just my personal perspective and Ideas that came to (MY) mind. Just wanted to clarify this ;)
That's the whole point of getting another point of view...lol. No worries, it's all good and thank you for sharing... :puf_wink:
XysteR wrote:Sounds cool, it's a fun track! I had a listen through the monitors whilst making a cup of tea earlier and my knee started jigging around lol
Thank you, I'm really glad you enjoyed it although you might wanna have a doctor take a look at that jigging knee...lol :puf_bigsmile:

ImageImageImage
It just dawned on me - My knee was only jigging due to my pigeon necking haha :D

Digitus

24 Nov 2015

XysteR wrote:
It just dawned on me - My knee was only jigging due to my pigeon necking haha :D
Yeah, you should definitely get that checked out...lol. Image

deepndark

30 Nov 2015

Pretty cool actually. The old school styled kick n bass combo make me smile but yeah, overall it had nicely done melodies. And the 90's are in atm.

Digitus

01 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:Pretty cool actually. The old school styled kick n bass combo make me smile but yeah, overall it had nicely done melodies. And the 90's are in atm.
Thanks man! :puf_wink:

• Information