Dysfunctional Instinct - (Electronic/Breakbeat?)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2016

I took some of you guys advice and made the decision to revisit the mix. This will be the final mix.

Who said Parsec was only good for glassy, thin sounds. Pair it up with Scream4 and you can get some pretty hard tones out of it.
Parsec is used for all the riff sounds from 0:08-0:49 and then later used for the lead melody starting at 0:50.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 04 Aug 2016, edited 3 times in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2016

Wow, like it... very high energy and flows along... really nice sound design there, well done :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Wow, like it... very high energy and flows along... really nice sound design there, well done :)
Thanks, appreciate it.

Last Alternative

28 Jul 2016

Very good. Lots of cool dark sounds. You took dubstep bass and left the lame parts of dubstep out. The wah synth lead reminds me of Daft Punk, Infected Mushroom, and Pendulum in a really good way. This is awesome.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Very good. Lots of cool dark sounds. You took dubstep bass and left the lame parts of dubstep out. The wah synth lead reminds me of Daft Punk, Infected Mushroom, and Pendulum in a really good way. This is awesome.
Thanks. I wasn't really influenced by dubstep at all, at least not intentionally. Though there my be some elements that resembles dubstep I guess. I agree that the wah synth sounds kind of Daft Punkish.

cosignsessions

28 Jul 2016

@tritoneaddiction you are just one of those musicians/artist that could be the next.....

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2016

cosignsessions wrote:@tritoneaddiction you are just one of those musicians/artist that could be the next.....
I don't know about that but I appreciate it. Still a long way to reach Rob Swires production skills and my music is pretty random from track to track so I don't think my music is very marketable.
I'm currently more focused on getting in to the video game music industry. I've just started though.
But it's nice to just write "normal" tracks as well. I'll probably continue to do both.

Troyvasanth

30 Jul 2016

Killer track :)
Though the beginning lead gets a little harsh on the ear.
A slight tonal adjustment will sort it. Just an opinion :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2016

Troyvasanth wrote:Killer track :)
Though the beginning lead gets a little harsh on the ear.
A slight tonal adjustment will sort it. Just an opinion :)
Thanks for the feedback, but the song has already gone through my "listen with fresh ears to see if anything bothers you" test so it's very unlikely I'll change anything at this point. I prefer to leave a song after that. Still appreciate your comment. Feedback like this sometimes makes its way to future tracks.

angorapostfrosch

30 Jul 2016

Nice,

And when reading about getting into video game music I just thought that it sounds a little bit like an modern Turrican-ish soundtrack.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2016

angorapostfrosch wrote:Nice,

And when reading about getting into video game music I just thought that it sounds a little bit like an modern Turrican-ish soundtrack.
Thanks. I take that as a great compliment since Turrican 2 is one of my favorite soundtracks :)

logicalpocket

31 Jul 2016

Really cool percussion and melody throughout. Good job! There's so much good stuff on this portal today.
Blep

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2016

logicalpocket wrote:Really cool percussion and melody throughout. Good job! There's so much good stuff on this portal today.
Thanks, really appreciate it.

VHS

01 Aug 2016

wow, I liked this a lot, but it seems like you high passed all the bass out. If you don't mind me asking, why?

Noplan
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2016

but it seems like you high passed all the bass out. If you don't mind me asking, why?
because high pass is still better than mud. ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2016

VHS wrote:wow, I liked this a lot, but it seems like you high passed all the bass out. If you don't mind me asking, why?
Thanks, glad you like it.
I don't know if you're talking about the riff parts at 0:07-0:49 where the bass is supposed to have a lot of space between each hit or if you're reffering to the entire mix. The drums has a filter around 30Hz and the lower bass has a filter at 27Hz. It sounds alright in my speakers.

After hearing what some of my earlier mixes/songs sounded like in speakers that could handle lower frequencies really well I pretty much decided I'd rather have too little bass than too much. It sounded like an unlistenable mess and sometimes ruined my songs.
Now having said that I'm not a pro mixer by any means and I'm working on my mixing all the time and I might change my mixing habbits at any point.

VHS

01 Aug 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote: Thanks, glad you like it.
I don't know if you're talking about the riff parts at 0:07-0:49 where the bass is supposed to have a lot of space between each hit or if you're reffering to the entire mix. The drums has a filter around 30Hz and the lower bass has a filter at 27Hz. It sounds alright in my speakers.

After hearing what some of my earlier mixes/songs sounded like in speakers that could handle lower frequencies really well I pretty much decided I'd rather have too little bass than too much. It sounded like an unlistenable mess and sometimes ruined my songs.
Now having said that I'm not a pro mixer by any means and I'm working on my mixing all the time and I might change my mixing habbits at any point.
I was speaking about the whole mix, but please don't take it the wrong way. The track sounds great. Id say you clearly know what you're doing and I thought it was an intentional choice. I am also no pro, all I have is hd205 sennheisers and an Ihome mono speaker, so most low freq stuff is guess work. Again, this is very well made, sounds great.

Skullture

01 Aug 2016

You know why I dig this. Because this is very different to anything else out there. Please do yourself a favor and good look for a openminded label.

I agree with @VHS, you need more lowend power. This music begs for it.

RTFX

02 Aug 2016

Boom! Right in my face. Love it. Approved big time!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

VHS wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote: Thanks, glad you like it.

I was speaking about the whole mix, but please don't take it the wrong way. The track sounds great. Id say you clearly know what you're doing and I thought it was an intentional choice. I am also no pro, all I have is hd205 sennheisers and an Ihome mono speaker, so most low freq stuff is guess work. Again, this is very well made, sounds great.
No worries. I appreciate the feedback. I might experiment with the lower frequencies more in future productions.
Yes I agree, the low freq stuff is a lot of guess work. Thanks for your comments.

cosignsessions

02 Aug 2016

On the conversation regarding setting low-end (punch instead of a dark cloud of mud) does Reason have a decent sub harmonic generator? I rewire to Reaper and use Pusher by Waves. But I think there may be one in Kong that can be used as a send FX?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

cosignsessions wrote:On the conversation regarding setting low-end (punch instead of a dark cloud of mud) does Reason have a decent sub harmonic generator? I rewire to Reaper and use Pusher by Waves. But I think there may be one in Kong that can be used as a send FX?
I do pretty much the same thing. I export my mix to Reaper and use the harmonic exciter in Izotope Ozone for mastering if I need it.
I own the RE 200 Bass Enhancer (got it from a Song Challenge) but hardly ever use it. I think I've used it once or twice. I'm not really sure how good it is. I've tried the other two exciters in the Prop shop and I really disliked them. That's one of the few things I miss in Reason, a really good exciter.

• Information