(Mellow) A New Life - My First Vocals...

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Aggie

02 Mar 2017

....so go easy on me lol

Linke updated to "private":

""

Cheers! :)
Adam
Last edited by Aggie on 20 Mar 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Gill | BandLab

normen

02 Mar 2017

Sounds nice, I like the color of your voice. Maybe try flexing your belly muscles when you're singing to give you a more stable base and think about the air column in your chest.

Aggie

03 Mar 2017

normen wrote:Sounds nice, I like the color of your voice. Maybe try flexing your belly muscles when you're singing to give you a more stable base and think about the air column in your chest.
Thanks - I didn't really put that much into it but I am planning to re-record the vocals.

Cheers,
Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

03 Mar 2017

<link removed>
Last edited by Aggie on 20 Mar 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Gill | BandLab

jappe

04 Mar 2017

Aggie wrote:....so go easy on me lol

https://soundcloud.com/simply_adam/a-new-life

Cheers! :)
Adam
Congratulations to having a voice with great tone quality.
You know I'm a fan of your spoken poetry, there is something with your voice and expression that sounds mesmerizing to me.

The song is very nice; altogether I think of Jim Kerr/Simple Minds when I listen to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAC4UeWGd0

If you want encouragement and advise for how to improve your singing, I recommend r/singing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/singing/

They also have a critique thread where you can get your singing evaluated and get some advise.

Looking very much forward to hearing more vocal songs from you! :thumbs_up:

Aggie

04 Mar 2017

Thanks - I'm always up for learning! :)
Adam Gill | BandLab

Pete B

06 Mar 2017

Well done. I generally prefer songs with singing. Your vocals match the mood and the music well. Reminded me very much of Lawrence and early Felt. E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44h5VA ... YFTDo6wsY9

Aggie

06 Mar 2017

Thanks Pete! :)
Adam Gill | BandLab

HepCat

06 Mar 2017

Wow man that is a professional voice, not just saying that.

Aggie

06 Mar 2017

HepCat wrote:Wow man that is a professional voice, not just saying that.
I'm not confident enough to be sure you mean that. Very under-confident, in fact...

Thanks if you really mean that! :)
Adam Gill | BandLab

HepCat

06 Mar 2017

Aggie wrote:Thanks if you really mean that! :)
I think everybody here agrees it's good stuff :) I love to criticise, but l don't have anything to point out this time - well done! Peace :)

mbfrancis

07 Mar 2017

This is great. Your voice is nice and rich, almost like a Jarvis Cocker / Lloyd Cole / SImple Minds guy. I would fix the small pitch issues, it would improve the recording a lot.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Aggie

07 Mar 2017

Thanks everyone. I will see what I can do to Pitch Adjust....
Adam Gill | BandLab

slightlyprog

07 Mar 2017

That song has a lot of potential with a bit of tweaking, a middle-8 / breakdown of some kind. And IMHO the part that goes 'Good times we had together, I'll remember you forever' should be the culmination, the resolution, the payoff. So you want to 'hint' at it earlier and then really let it bloom at the end and fade out on that line. You bring it in but at the moment it comes before the 'new life' part - it really should be at the end of that section right before a breakdown or middle-8. Then when it comes back at the end you let it be as big as possible, really vamp and fade out on that.

Someone else already mentioned Simple Minds, that's what imediately came to mind. Vocally I don't think you have to do anything too different, just work on the pitch in places where it needs to be right on, but having a loose vibe is OK sometimes as well.

sumusik

07 Mar 2017

You sound like Eric Clapton!

Aggie

07 Mar 2017

slightlyprog wrote:That song has a lot of potential with a bit of tweaking, a middle-8 / breakdown of some kind. And IMHO the part that goes 'Good times we had together, I'll remember you forever' should be the culmination, the resolution, the payoff. So you want to 'hint' at it earlier and then really let it bloom at the end and fade out on that line. You bring it in but at the moment it comes before the 'new life' part - it really should be at the end of that section right before a breakdown or middle-8. Then when it comes back at the end you let it be as big as possible, really vamp and fade out on that.

Someone else already mentioned Simple Minds, that's what imediately came to mind. Vocally I don't think you have to do anything too different, just work on the pitch in places where it needs to be right on, but having a loose vibe is OK sometimes as well.
Thanks - so keep the 'Good times...' as one line with a different line earlier in the piece, then repeat it later with the culmination of '...I'll remember you forever' as part of the payoff/fade-out. Got it! :)

Thanks again,
Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

07 Mar 2017

sumusik wrote:You sound like Eric Clapton!
:o
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

07 Mar 2017

...so, I re-recorded some of my croaky bits, updated the lyrics slightly and repeated the fade-out element:

""

Link updated - now "Private"
Last edited by Aggie on 20 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Gill | BandLab

slightlyprog

07 Mar 2017

Aggie wrote:
slightlyprog wrote:That song has a lot of potential with a bit of tweaking, a middle-8 / breakdown of some kind. And IMHO the part that goes 'Good times we had together, I'll remember you forever' should be the culmination, the resolution, the payoff. So you want to 'hint' at it earlier and then really let it bloom at the end and fade out on that line. You bring it in but at the moment it comes before the 'new life' part - it really should be at the end of that section right before a breakdown or middle-8. Then when it comes back at the end you let it be as big as possible, really vamp and fade out on that.

Thanks - so keep the 'Good times...' as one line with a different line earlier in the piece, then repeat it later with the culmination of '...I'll remember you forever' as part of the payoff/fade-out. Got it! :)

Thanks again,
Adam
You're very welcome. Obviously it's a personal preference thing and depends on where you want to go with the song. My impression is that it could be a very nice 'haunting' atmosphereic thing and lyrically I'd have the line 'Good times we had together, I'll remember you forever' being the the focal point that it comes back to. You have a melancholic snapshot of someone knowing they need to move on and expressing some sorrow and maybe a touch of regret about what was or could have been. And that's always something that works when it's done well :puf_smile:

Aggie

08 Mar 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
Aggie wrote:

Thanks again,
Adam
You're very welcome. Obviously it's a personal preference thing and depends on where you want to go with the song. My impression is that it could be a very nice 'haunting' atmosphereic thing and lyrically I'd have the line 'Good times we had together, I'll remember you forever' being the the focal point that it comes back to. You have a melancholic snapshot of someone knowing they need to move on and expressing some sorrow and maybe a touch of regret about what was or could have been. And that's always something that works when it's done well :puf_smile:
Thanks again - I've updated the SoundCloud version.... :)
Adam Gill | BandLab

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2017

Really nice track, the vocals remind me of Simple Minds, Don't you (forget about me), just slowed down :)

I do like the way this one flows, great piano playing as usual, could easily have seen this fitting in a 80's movie....

Aggie

15 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Really nice track, the vocals remind me of Simple Minds, Don't you (forget about me), just slowed down :)

I do like the way this one flows, great piano playing as usual, could easily have seen this fitting in a 80's movie....
Thanks - I am showing my age.... :)
Adam Gill | BandLab

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2017

Aggie wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Really nice track, the vocals remind me of Simple Minds, Don't you (forget about me), just slowed down :)

No you are showing that you are from the same good vintage as me LOL

Aggie

15 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
Aggie wrote:

No you are showing that you are from the same good vintage as me LOL
:thumbs_up: :D
Adam Gill | BandLab

raymondh

18 Mar 2017

sounds very nice to me! Yeah I can hear Simple Minds in it too. I'd suggest the vocals being a tad dryer, but otherwise nice.

• Information