(Rave) Tin Pan Opening Theme

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
logicalpocket

04 Jun 2017

Threw this one together this afternoon for a free party I'm playing at on Friday.

Not sure if rave is really the right genre description but I don't think any genre really covers what this is precisely :P

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Alex
Last edited by logicalpocket on 07 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Blep

modecca

04 Jun 2017

I think this would be perfect if the bitspeek stuff was not used quite as much.
I like bitspeek, but here it seems a little too noisy and it distracts from the other stuff, which sound great.
🔗💥

Daniel36

04 Jun 2017

Rave defintely sounds like the right term! Very unapologetic rave too! I really like it! I think the kick could benefit from just a very slight tad of the right type of reverb, to lengthen it, so it flows into the next kick, and it could be me, but I do believe the kick's pitch should be put slightly lower, it doesn't quite sound like the right pitch to me.

BUT! It's recognisably old school while at the same time incredibly refreshing and unique. I quite like the break!

pLv2

06 Jun 2017

Nice, old school rave vibe that could've done better without the vocal. Keep in mind the techno kick reverb method that Daniel mentioned is used to intentionally fill out the space and add impact in the bottom end. Warehouse vibe.

PSoames

07 Jun 2017

Always had trouble with genre definitions of EDM music, sounds kinda old-skool, acidy, prog-techno-ish, dance to me.

Good to hear. I think if you were to pay attention to the stereo placing of the different sounds it would really help. It all sounds as though it's coming from one place at the moment, with only delays on the edge of the stereo field.

Some of the best and most creative sounds of the time seemed to play a lot with positions. One such party even went so far as to go quadraphonic with the stage being a scaffold tower in the middle of a field and at the centre of 4 speaker stacks. A semi-circular projection screen was stretched between 3 of those speaker stacks and both sounds and images would whizz around the circumference of the dance area.

Oh my! Thanks for the memory!

logicalpocket

07 Jun 2017

I think this would be perfect if the bitspeek stuff was not used quite as much.
I like bitspeek, but here it seems a little too noisy and it distracts from the other stuff, which sound great.
In think you're right that it was a bit too dominant in the sound. I've gone back and brought the overall volume down, added some reverb and set it panning so it's a bit more ambient.
Rave defintely sounds like the right term! Very unapologetic rave too! I really like it! I think the kick could benefit from just a very slight tad of the right type of reverb, to lengthen it, so it flows into the next kick, and it could be me, but I do believe the kick's pitch should be put slightly lower, it doesn't quite sound like the right pitch to me.

BUT! It's recognisably old school while at the same time incredibly refreshing and unique. I quite like the break!
Thanks, I've gone back and applied a bit of reverb of reverb to both of the kick layers and it's sounding a lot more atmospheric :)
Nice, old school rave vibe that could've done better without the vocal. Keep in mind the techno kick reverb method that Daniel mentioned is used to intentionally fill out the space and add impact in the bottom end. Warehouse vibe.
I quite like the vocal but it was definitely too dominant. I've stripped it back a lot. Hopefully it's less annoying now :D
Always had trouble with genre definitions of EDM music, sounds kinda old-skool, acidy, prog-techno-ish, dance to me.

Good to hear. I think if you were to pay attention to the stereo placing of the different sounds it would really help. It all sounds as though it's coming from one place at the moment, with only delays on the edge of the stereo field.

Some of the best and most creative sounds of the time seemed to play a lot with positions. One such party even went so far as to go quadraphonic with the stage being a scaffold tower in the middle of a field and at the centre of 4 speaker stacks. A semi-circular projection screen was stretched between 3 of those speaker stacks and both sounds and images would whizz around the circumference of the dance area.

Oh my! Thanks for the memory!
I think that part of the stereo issue was that I forgot to switch out of the ASIO Balance drivers when I encoded. For some reason it always biases stuff to the right channel when I encode using those drivers. That being said I've gone in and moved a few elements around. The breaks in particular have been split into a left and right channel and I've added a few new fills etc to keep it interesting. It was a bit of a rush job initially but hopefully it's sounding a little more focused now :)

Thanks guys!
Blep

• Information