(rock) What about the mix here?

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
ejanuska

25 Nov 2017

I'm looking for feedback about the mix and sound quality.
Feel free to comment on the rest but the mix quality and what could be improved with it is the primary focus.

thanks

https://soundcloud.com/manofreason/ghos ... rch-street

Last Alternative

25 Nov 2017

Hey, thanx for the advice on my song. I will consider it.
Tried to listen to yours but SoundCloud is saying it can’t find the song. Did you pull it?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

ejanuska

25 Nov 2017

Last Alternative wrote:
25 Nov 2017
Hey, thanx for the advice on my song. I will consider it.
Tried to listen to yours but SoundCloud is saying it can’t find the song. Did you pull it?
This should work. I was messing around with soundcloud...

https://soundcloud.com/manofreason/ghos ... et/s-M5zjr

Last Alternative

26 Nov 2017

Everything sounds clean. It's a good blues rock tune with nice lyrics. Lyrical stories are always most interesting. Cool riffs.
Mix-wise, I would bring the kick click out a little and maybe some bass mids. Plus the general mids are a little muddy in the song as a whole. Master EQ tinkering would help bring out some shine.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

ejanuska

27 Nov 2017

Last Alternative wrote:
26 Nov 2017
Everything sounds clean. It's a good blues rock tune with nice lyrics. Lyrical stories are always most interesting. Cool riffs.
Mix-wise, I would bring the kick click out a little and maybe some bass mids. Plus the general mids are a little muddy in the song as a whole. Master EQ tinkering would help bring out some shine.
Thanks.

stratatonic

27 Nov 2017

ejanuska wrote:
25 Nov 2017

This should work. I was messing around with soundcloud...

https://soundcloud.com/manofreason/ghos ... et/s-M5zjr
Could use a touch more bottom, and maybe slightly less mids, but it's not bad at all.
I like your use of echo on certain words and how you change the eq around "65". Cool.

ejanuska

27 Nov 2017

stratatonic wrote:
27 Nov 2017

Could use a touch more bottom, and maybe slightly less mids, but it's not bad at all.
I like your use of echo on certain words and how you change the eq around "65". Cool.
Thanks for your feedback.
I love automating effects on vocals here and there.
Trying to keep it fresh.

Ocean of Waves

28 Nov 2017

The guitar sound lacks a bottom, I'm guessing it's a software-amp? I think when you're able to get a bigger guitar sound the other instruments will need something tweaking as well. Cymbals are squashed but great singing!

demt

28 Nov 2017

if i really tried hard to find an improvement id say lower the vocals and increase the vol of the drums in the mix
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

ejanuska

28 Nov 2017

I was concerned about the levels of the vocals but I left them alone since there isn't much else going on.

strangers
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2017

I originally wanted to say the low end was lacking but it fits the raw, bluesy style of the song. I still wouldn't mind either the kick or the bass dominating the low end a bit more, just for that added oomph. The only thing that bugged me a little bit was the amp buzz. That's the enemy in my own music and the only reason I noticed it since I'm so used to hearing it lol.

Cool song though. Post another track if you end up making any changes. I'd like to hear it.

ejanuska

01 Dec 2017

Ocean of Waves wrote:
28 Nov 2017
The guitar sound lacks a bottom, I'm guessing it's a software-amp? I think when you're able to get a bigger guitar sound the other instruments will need something tweaking as well. Cymbals are squashed but great singing!
I micd my amp, but I cut some of the bottom to make room for the bass and kick. Which I'm trying to clean up.
First time ever my singing was called great.

ejanuska

01 Dec 2017

strangers wrote:
30 Nov 2017
I originally wanted to say the low end was lacking but it fits the raw, bluesy style of the song. I still wouldn't mind either the kick or the bass dominating the low end a bit more, just for that added oomph. The only thing that bugged me a little bit was the amp buzz. That's the enemy in my own music and the only reason I noticed it since I'm so used to hearing it lol.

Cool song though. Post another track if you end up making any changes. I'd like to hear it.
I brought the kick up and used to different bass instrument. I was using the NN-XT with the Hofner bass but it was just not the right sound, too muddy. Really the whole low end of the track was suffering because of it.

I think some improvement has been made. Thanks everyone.

ejanuska

01 Dec 2017

ejanuska wrote:
01 Dec 2017
strangers wrote:
30 Nov 2017

I brought the kick up and used to different bass instrument. I was using the NN-XT with the Hofner bass but it was just not the right sound, too muddy. Really the whole low end of the track was suffering because of it.

I think some improvement has been made. Thanks everyone.

https://soundcloud.com/manofreason/ghos ... rch-street

• Information