(DNB) Inspired by the jump

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2020

Hi all basically I enjoyed the jump +24 (see below) by another reason talk user (danc) and inspired me to try and make a drum and bass track of some description. The below was the end result but still needs mixing properly.

Any comments welcome.

danc

15 Aug 2020

Popey wrote:
15 Aug 2020
Hi all basically I enjoyed the jump +24 (see below) by another reason talk user (danc) and inspired me to try and make a drum and bass track of some description. The below was the end result but still needs mixing properly.

Any comments welcome.
Ok... critique from me on 'Inspired by the jump'

Love the intro - nice simple chords... covering wide enough spectrum to sound powerful... nice vocals come in.

The simple kick and clap sound cool.

I feel the snare around 17 seconds comes in too early.

Section up to 33 seconds cool.

Bass line around 34 is cool.. except it then quickly starts to sound messy - and I think it's because you change note either too quickly or not in a natural timing.

At 44 you remove stuff, which is fine and needed but it feels a little messy (again)... and I think you need to remove just a little more... take a listen to all the layers and see which one can be switched off and decide what isn't needed. Actually - I listened to this little bit about 5 times and I know what it is... it doesn't transition well to the less busy bit... you need to think carefully on how to transition.

Again - the switching to the breakbeat around 49 comes in unnaturally. The breakbeat is fine - just jarred start.

And again 55 you bring in the lead instrument and again it feels unnatural.. maybe you need to breakdown the stuff beforehand in a really quick fashion... like in 1 bar. Using filters... or something. And the same for 1:39.

Ok - I'm going to stop there because it is actually the same issues going on from there... which is this... you introduce new bits but don't transition and so they feel forced upon the listener and a little jarring. This kind of track needs morphing elements - so you don't know why it evolves, but it does. Yes - you can have moments of really hard hitting new bits.. but not at each junction.

HOWEVER... I actually really love what you are doing here. With care and time it could be corker.

Also - probably consider a drop or a breakdown or something part way through and then build up again.

I am perfectly aware that one could easily pull each of my tracks apart and kind of wish people did, because I would be more than willing to listen and take action.
Check my Soundcloud:

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

Hi dan thanks for the feedback it is handy to know and I can take on board. Totally agree on the transitions and I also identified a few things I want to change not covered above. Certainly enjoyed making it so far and still learning so you taking the time to give constructive criticism is appreciated.

teddymcw

16 Aug 2020

Great track, very interesting. The feedback above is interesting too. A version with the elements in the first feedback would be great too. I personally like when it gets a little messy or overwhelming at times and the mix remains very clean to my ears throughout which allows a little messiness or unexpectedness to happen imo. It'd be really interesting to hear a diff version with the diff pronounced elements. The one creative choice I def easily agree with in orig feedback is the snare coming in too early. You've got so much cool stuff going on in the first bit I'd like to hear it w/o the snare at first. Thanks for track and learning exp!

drk73

16 Aug 2020

For me - it's good! 👍

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

Hi,
Thank you all for your comments. Worked on it a bit this morning and as it will be next weekend until I can finish it thought I would share to show I appreciate you taking time out to help. Will post once finished and thanks again as imo it is starting to sound a lot more cohesive.

Heigen5

18 Aug 2020

Liking the style. It's pretty much like what the dnb fans would want. But the highs and the overall sound, sounds too dry/harsh. It's just my opinion that a bit more darker sound would fit this genre more of, but still - nice work!

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
18 Aug 2020
Liking the style. It's pretty much like what the dnb fans would want. But the highs and the overall sound, sounds too dry/harsh. It's just my opinion that a bit more darker sound would fit this genre more of, but still - nice work!
Hi heigen5 thanks for the feedback I will take this on board when working on this track at weekend 👍

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2020

Made some changes to this track and gonna move on now to other things. At the very least I have learned I have a long way to go with transitions/drops/build ups etc but was good fun doing something different.

Skimrok

25 Aug 2020

I think its a cool track personally :thumbs_up: great vibe and feeling to it :puf_smile: love the vocal sample, little 80s synths going on I'm a sucker for them, nice fusion , yeah good stuff :cool:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

• Information