(Metal/Industrial) Deliverance

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2021

If you are open to a reply from someone else on this, I discuss the reasons to not hard-gan guitars (or anything) in a track in several places in this Mix Walkthrough of our Slava's track

I rarely hard pan anything as I find that while in the short term it seems wider, in the long term it feels more cramped and less muscular. Wide & Overwhelming vs Deep & Rich. Your call. A mono mix actually sounds the most Tough & Brutal of the lot.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
14 Oct 2021
If you are open to a reply from someone else on this, I discuss the reasons to not hard-gan guitars (or anything) in a track in several places in this Mix Walkthrough of our Slava's track

I rarely hard pan anything as I find that while in the short term it seems wider, in the long term it feels more cramped and less muscular. Wide & Overwhelming vs Deep & Rich. Your call. A mono mix actually sounds the most Tough & Brutal of the lot.

Thanks. I'll watch it in installments. I've gotten to the halfway point where you talk about having enough room on the sides to let the reverb reach around, or something to that effect. Very interesting.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

Yep, Mr Rainbows, that is the heart of it.

Because I was trained to mix for AM Radio - in glorious mono - it was all about depth. If stereo were to be in the song's future, it would not need to be as important as depth. Interesting that these days depth is all but ignored and it is the "shallow" dimension that is obsessed over ;-)

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

strangers
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2021

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
14 Oct 2021

I'm curious why you didn't hard pan the L and R guitars. If you're at 90%, why not just go 100? I ask because since there are 3 guitar tracks, I would think you'd want them as far apart and wide as possible. OFC this is a matter of preference.

How's work coming on the EP? Are you still going to do it? If you are going to record real guitars, I'm very curious to hear them compared to the sims.
I'm not sure I had a specific reason for not hard panning the guitars other than I liked how it sounded. I'll have to check out Benedict's video since I'm really curious to see what he does and recommends.

The EP is in the works. I've been working on song ideas. I'm my own worst enemy where I'll come up with 25 ideas, scrap all of them, rinse and repeat. Once I get further along maybe I'll post some early demos.

Auryn

18 Oct 2021

I started listening to this and blacked out, and when I came to my senses again I was in a field somewhere naked, strangling a goat

what did you do to me?

what am I becoming..?
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Oct 2021

strangers wrote:
18 Oct 2021
I'm not sure I had a specific reason for not hard panning the guitars other than I liked how it sounded. I'll have to check out Benedict's video since I'm really curious to see what he does and recommends.

The EP is in the works. I've been working on song ideas. I'm my own worst enemy where I'll come up with 25 ideas, scrap all of them, rinse and repeat. Once I get further along maybe I'll post some early demos.
Thats a good enough reason: you liked how it sounds!

Good luck working on your EP. I look forward to it.

strangers
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2021

Auryn wrote:
18 Oct 2021
I started listening to this and blacked out, and when I came to my senses again I was in a field somewhere naked, strangling a goat

what did you do to me?

what am I becoming..?
:lol: I'm hoping you've made it back to your original location. I will keep this in mind for the future EP and be sure to include a disclaimer to avoid any and all animals from being harmed. The EP should be an even bigger journey/experience. You may want to buckle up now.
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
21 Oct 2021
strangers wrote:
18 Oct 2021

Thanks for the encouragement. It means more than you'd think. I've been working on the EP in pieces when time permits. I had a slew of ideas over the weekend and managed to write and record the bulk of a new song on the spot. I may post a short teaser or two at some point. So far, the overall vibe of the EP is on the darker side. Too many ideas and not enough time.

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Oct 2021

strangers wrote:
26 Oct 2021
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
21 Oct 2021

Thanks for the encouragement. It means more than you'd think. I've been working on the EP in pieces when time permits. I had a slew of ideas over the weekend and managed to write and record the bulk of a new song on the spot. I may post a short teaser or two at some point. So far, the overall vibe of the EP is on the darker side. Too many ideas and not enough time.
Too many ideas is a good thing. It's cool that you layed down the bulk of the foundation quickly. Working quickly is something I need to work on. Often I'll get the 'bulk' of something down, only to tinker with it for months before I finish it.

Keep it up!

man made material

05 Nov 2021

Auryn wrote:
18 Oct 2021

what did you do to me?

what am I becoming..?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

man made material

05 Nov 2021

this is Epic! and sounds MASSIVE!.. just brilliant, i can't offer anything other than praise i'm afraid!

• Information