(HipHop/Trap) WAR..."possibly the best track I've ever made" :D

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
FrankJaeger

02 Feb 2023

Hello Hello,
Hope you all are doing great.
I made this beat yesterday and mixed it today using all of the things I learned recently in a music mixing course that I took. Very challenging was the course, but also very rewarding. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it.

Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

soroc sosta

02 Feb 2023

Hello, I checked it out your beat!
Did you intentionally not quantize it?
Im currently taking the Mixxin course online.

Which one are you taking?

FrankJaeger

02 Feb 2023

soroc sosta wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Hello, I checked it out your beat!
Did you intentionally not quantize it?
Im currently taking the Mixxin course online.

Which one are you taking?
Hey man thanks for listening..
If you're talking about the drums, I only do a max of 50% quantization during recording and play the sounds by hand. I don't really like tracks that sound to robotic and quantizing beyond 50-75% makes it sound that way to me. It's just personal taste.

The course I took was called "The Complete Mixing Masterclass" at Udemy.com
It's a very in depth course and goes over everything you'll need to know.

How did the track sound to you though? Was it :thumbs_up: or :thumbs_down:
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

moalla

03 Feb 2023

Well made, only the tschick voice must be a little bit tamed, 3db lower. At all i after ive checked your previous tracks, this sounds most professional, not to bright or attenuated, more centered, my first impression ;) Obviously this masterclass course is recommeneded.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Quarmat
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2023

I am not really into this genre but what can I say is: Low end sound good, kick and bass are full and punchy! The melody and harmonic elements are ok, well mixed I can hear all the different voices clearly and the female choir, even tho is goin all the time does not becomes annoying. The high end and the hats have a pleasant presence and sizzle but not ear fatiguing. The only thing I feel is a little off is the clap/snare: it lacks slap, I think a stronger, clicky attack could improve the thing.

Overall, good job!

soroc sosta

03 Feb 2023

I like the sound selection, the quantization threw me off... for the Genre.
Mix is on point as far as my computer speakers tell me.
I will listen to your other tracks to check out your growth

Thank you for the course suggestion. Wish I could just take off and go to a proper audio school, LOL!

FrankJaeger

03 Feb 2023

moalla wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Well made, only the tschick voice must be a little bit tamed, 3db lower. At all i after ive checked your previous tracks, this sounds most professional, not to bright or attenuated, more centered, my first impression ;) Obviously this masterclass course is recommeneded.
Thanks for listening man.
Yeah, the course basically paid for itself with its usefulness. I don't know which sound you're talking about, however, that you feel should be turned down. You called it the tschick but I don't know what that is... :question:
Midniite Music

FrankJaeger

03 Feb 2023

Quarmat wrote:
03 Feb 2023
I am not really into this genre but what can I say is: Low end sound good, kick and bass are full and punchy! The melody and harmonic elements are ok, well mixed I can hear all the different voices clearly and the female choir, even tho is goin all the time does not becomes annoying. The high end and the hats have a pleasant presence and sizzle but not ear fatiguing. The only thing I feel is a little off is the clap/snare: it lacks slap, I think a stronger, clicky attack could improve the thing.

Overall, good job!
Thank you so much for the compliments.
I agree about the snare as well. I was told by a friend that my previous mix's snares were too sharp, almost sizzling.
I guess I just over corrected.
Midniite Music

FrankJaeger

03 Feb 2023

soroc sosta wrote:
03 Feb 2023
I like the sound selection, the quantization threw me off... for the Genre.
Mix is on point as far as my computer speakers tell me.
I will listen to your other tracks to check out your growth

Thank you for the course suggestion. Wish I could just take off and go to a proper audio school, LOL!
I wish I could go to an audio school too, but who has the thousands of dollars for that right?!?
Midniite Music

moalla

03 Feb 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
03 Feb 2023
moalla wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Thanks for listening man.
Yeah, the course basically paid for itself with its usefulness. I don't know which sound you're talking about, however, that you feel should be turned down. You called it the tschick but I don't know what that is... :question:
I mean this most prominent clap sound :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Last Alternative

17 Feb 2023

How much was the course? I think that would do wonders for my attempted skillz lol. PHAT low end. Dope beat. The ahhs are nice until it goes for too long. I think some changes would benefit. Then again I understand this was an practice run on what you learned. Production is almost flawless. I think the hats need a touch of de-esser. Otherwise you're onto something if you build on this.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

FrankJaeger

20 Feb 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
17 Feb 2023
How much was the course? I think that would do wonders for my attempted skillz lol. PHAT low end. Dope beat. The ahhs are nice until it goes for too long. I think some changes would benefit. Then again I understand this was an practice run on what you learned. Production is almost flawless. I think the hats need a touch of de-esser. Otherwise you're onto something if you build on this.
Thanks for listening and the compliments. Yeah, Hip Hop beats tend to be repetitive by design so that the artist recording over it doesn't have too many transitions to write to. I try to change it up some even if it's in a predictable way so the rapper doesn't feel the beat is too jarring.

The course I took was on Udemy.com from Jason Allen and it's called The Complete Mixing Masterclass. The course is usually around $100 but he sent out an email to his students saying he discounted all of his courses to around $10 dollars for a limited time. Also if you buy 3 of his courses at that price and message him that you did, he'll give you an additional two courses in sound design for free. Not sure how long that's going to last though.
Midniite Music

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2023

I like the concept, choice of sounds, and melodies.

You've created some very strong samples here as well.

• Information