(Funk) ELECTRODE

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
minihilly

20 Jun 2023

I made this for the Reason Studios' "Objekt Challenge" - all instruments are Objekt.
This was more fun than expected, Objekt has a fantastic sound and great patches!

I'm new here, and new(ish) to Reason. I'm still learning a lot about music production.
Thank you for listening.

Chizmata

23 Jun 2023

minihilly wrote:
20 Jun 2023

I made this for the Reason Studios' "Objekt Challenge" - all instruments are Objekt.
This was more fun than expected, Objekt has a fantastic sound and great patches!

I'm new here, and new(ish) to Reason. I'm still learning a lot about music production.
Thank you for listening.
are you aware there is no working link here?

minihilly

23 Jun 2023

Chizmata wrote:
23 Jun 2023
are you aware there is no working link here?
I removed it after receiving feedback informing me that, well, it just didn't sound very good.
I don't know how/if I can delete this thread.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

minihilly wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I removed it after receiving feedback informing me that, well, it just didn't sound very good.
I don't know how/if I can delete this thread.
That's a shame. Please don't let someones negative comment deter you from posting your music here.
I don't know how the comment you recieved was written. But usually if it's just some asshole stating that they didn't like it, or that "it sucks" without giving any form of explanation or useful feedback to back it up, it should most likely be completely ignored. It's also important to remember that music is very subjective. Some people can't even listen to something that's outside of their own preferred genre without thinking it's bad.

I know there are several people here (me included) who are more than willing to give constructive feedback without being rude.
Let us/me know if you change your mind.
If you don't want the feedback shown publicly, feel free to send me a PM with the link to your track.

minihilly

23 Jun 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2023
That's a shame. Please don't let someones negative comment deter you from posting your music here.
It wasn't one person's comment, it was 4 people. I had asked for feedback on how it was mixed, only to receive some firm criticism on the tone and quality of the instrumentation. They felt the composition was good, but the timbre of the voicings I chose sounded "awful, like cheap MIDI instruments". I didn't give them the context that I was doing it for the Objekt Challenge, so they couldn't have known how this was recorded. I thought it sounded alright, decent even, but this was eye-opening to me. I have a poor perception on tone and what makes good sound design.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

minihilly wrote:
23 Jun 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2023
It wasn't one person's comment, it was 4 people. I had asked for feedback on how it was mixed, only to receive some firm criticism on the tone and quality of the instrumentation. They felt the composition was good, but the timbre of the voicings I chose sounded "awful, like cheap MIDI instruments". I didn't give them the context that I was doing it for the Objekt Challenge, so they couldn't have known how this was recorded. I thought it sounded alright, decent even, but this was eye-opening to me. I have a poor perception on tone and what makes good sound design.
I see. Well you mentioned it yourself that you are still newish and learning more about production. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if I were you. Developing a good ear for mixing and production takes time. You're still learning and growing, as we all are.
I don't know where you posted your track originally, but judging from your example, perhaps that isn't the best place to receive encouraging feedback.

minihilly

23 Jun 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I see. Well you mentioned it yourself that you are still newish and learning more about production. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if I were you. Developing a good ear for mixing and production takes time. You're still learning and growing, as we all are.
I don't know where you posted your track originally, but judging from your example, perhaps that isn't the best place to receive encouraging feedback.
I'm relatively new to Reason, but I am not new to music production on the whole. The things I make that get good or okay feedback are all centered around piano - makes sense, since I'm a pianist. Not a great one, but good enough to sometimes compose something worth listening to I suppose. I think the failure of this track is I god too excited using a new synth that I barely understand how to shape its sound, and had no feedback until I had basically finished something. Yes, the feedback I received was blunt to the point of being quite harsh, but it was what I needed to hear else I'd only make more mistakes due to my own naivety. I need to get out of the bubble of only arranging things for piano and strings, as its now been made extremely clear to me that I am absolutely awful at anything else.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

minihilly wrote:
23 Jun 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2023
It is really a pity that you removed the track because of negative comments. Everyone starts somewhere and at the beginning you are bound to be unaware of many aspects of the production and also unable to grasp them because the ear has to form. I have learnt through experience that the one thing you cannot develop unless you let time take its course is your ear. If I listen to my tracks from just a year ago, I realise flaws in the mix that I didn't see at the time and, indeed, they sounded like mixes at their best. I very much hope that in a few years' time I will be able to say the same about my mixes today: it will mean that I have improved. No place is perfect but ReasonTalk is definitely one of the best places to learn, compare and thus grow and improve in production and - why not - also in composition and arrangement/orchestration.

At the beginning of my 'career' I thought I was a good composer and that everything related to mixing/mastering was boring engineer stuff that had nothing to do with creativity: I was very wrong. The road is long and uphill but every step you climb brings new perspectives, new skills and above all new satisfaction and enjoyment.

Don't let anyone demoralise you, it is easy to distinguish the dickheads from those who can give you sensible advice. Focus on the latter and ignore the former.

I would be very curious to hear your funk track! I hope you can reconsider.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

minihilly wrote:
23 Jun 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I'm relatively new to Reason, but I am not new to music production on the whole. The things I make that get good or okay feedback are all centered around piano - makes sense, since I'm a pianist. Not a great one, but good enough to sometimes compose something worth listening to I suppose. I think the failure of this track is I god too excited using a new synth that I barely understand how to shape its sound, and had no feedback until I had basically finished something. Yes, the feedback I received was blunt to the point of being quite harsh, but it was what I needed to hear else I'd only make more mistakes due to my own naivety. I need to get out of the bubble of only arranging things for piano and strings, as its now been made extremely clear to me that I am absolutely awful at anything else.
Alright. Well as long as you got something out of it.
Sounds like you know what you want to work on.
Yes sometimes it's good to ask for feedback before the actual finished release of a song.

minihilly

23 Jun 2023

To be honest, I'd rather just forget about my submission, the contest, and move on. Take a break from making music for the sake of my own self-esteem.
I feel pretty low about it.
Besides, this is getting into off-topic territory so I'll stop posting any further.

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

minihilly wrote:
23 Jun 2023
To be honest, I'd rather just forget about my submission, the contest, and move on. Take a break from making music for the sake of my own self-esteem.
I feel pretty low about it.
Besides, this is getting into off-topic territory so I'll stop posting any further.
I know you said you will stop posting so no need to respond if you don't wish to. However I listened to your song before you took it down and thought it was quite good.

I only did not comment as I listened to it through my phone speaker and tend to only comment when I have listened through monitors or headphones.

I appreciate it is hard to hear negative comments on our work but I will also say the feedback I have received on here is helping me develop.

I personally find people on here will comment on what they think is wrong but do it in such a way that is polite and also helps you evaluate where you can spend time developing. Asking further questions on the area highlighted often comes with good ideas on how it could be fixed.

That said creating music should be fun so if you currently are not feeling that then always do whats best for your own mood.

If you ever change your mind and wish to share anything in the future I would personally love to help if I can and I'm pretty sure others on here feel the same way too.

• Information