(Alternative Hip-Hop) My Version of the Blues

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Musicbyproseed

10 Jul 2023

I recorded my vocals with the Shure SM 27 (I like this mic) and mixed everything in Reason. Used the SSL compressor on vocals and a few of the instruments. High pass filter on vocals. Otherwise didn't mess with the EQ. Played guitar and turned what I recorded into a sample and put it through Mimic using my midi controller pads to line up the bars.Thoughts on the mix?

When blues meets hip-hop & soul meets new age.

https://www.dereosroads.com

FrankJaeger

13 Jul 2023

90s nostalgia with this one.
The mix sounds good and the song makes me feel like I was digging through records and found a gem.
As a +, the rhyme schemes in the second verse really set things off. Good job.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Musicbyproseed

15 Jul 2023

Appreciate the feedback! I definitely made an effort to step it up on verse 2. I've been having someone else do most of my mixing lately but I got the itch to try my hand at it again. I may step back into it when the song is simple enough. There's just a few instruments here.

Thousand Ways

16 Jul 2023

Really like the two-note minor key synth riff that comes in around 1:14 – goes well with the guitar. Also like the drum loop dropout parts later on. The drum loop doesn't change (unless I've misheard it), so maybe there's room to manipulate it occasionally, eg. one or two beats reversed? Maybe when the loop drops out, there could be some delay on the last couple of drum hits, just so it doesn't drop out quite so cold? Alors, just a thought. This might not be what you want at all.

Musicbyproseed

24 Jul 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
16 Jul 2023
Really like the two-note minor key synth riff that comes in around 1:14 – goes well with the guitar. Also like the drum loop dropout parts later on. The drum loop doesn't change (unless I've misheard it), so maybe there's room to manipulate it occasionally, eg. one or two beats reversed? Maybe when the loop drops out, there could be some delay on the last couple of drum hits, just so it doesn't drop out quite so cold? Alors, just a thought. This might not be what you want at all.
Appreciate the feedback. That's definitely a good idea. You're right the drums don't change much (til the end).

• Information