(Electronic) New Album

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Tau Ceti

06 Jun 2016

Here is my new album.
It contains some old and unfinished songs that i have finished and remixed.
I made this album both to practice my mixing skills and in thought that the songs were to good to be forgotten.
Most of the tracks are made in 2010 and 2011 but there is a few from 2014.
Everything is done in Reason.
Hope you like it.

tibah

06 Jun 2016

Just some general ideas. Hope you find them helpful.

A gentle feel of over-compression throughout so far, but this is more of a taste thing. Lead in Mercury Sunrise is way too bright and gets annoying rather quickly because of too many high frequencies. In general I feel your upper mids lack definition. Shadows is a track I simply can't listen to because of the high end. I have Tannoy Reveal speaker which have a tendency for sounding more bright, but this is something else. Sea of Tranquility has the same thing going on, once that synth pops in at 3:15ish. It's also rather unbalanced since it stands out from the rest way too much.

I stopped listening here and I apologize if this comes across bad. Rather try to use nothing but the faders and some simple filtering for starters and just work with these tools for a while, which I believe is a great practice, before you even start using compression and dedicated EQing.

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2016

Hi Mr Ceti

As you know I have you last outing and as luck would have it I popped it on the other evening. Every time I play the album I do enjoy it but feel it suffers from some of what tibah says: too much compression so it sounds more like a relentless wall rather than breathing, and at times the mix just feels off in that an instrument seems too pointed.

That said I do like your last record and have dipped in to this new one too. This time I thought you may have had more variety which is good.

Don't let any of these comments get you down as firstly you are one of the few actually making albums and releasing them (very nicely I might add) and your style is consistent and generally pleasing.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Tau Ceti

08 Jun 2016

Thanks for listening and for your feedback.
I still have a lot to learn when it comes to mixing.
Hopefully i will get better some day :puf_wink:

Tau Ceti

08 Jun 2016

I´m glad that you liked my last album Benedict´ :puf_smile:

decibel

08 Jun 2016

Tau Ceti wrote:Thanks for listening and for your feedback.

your tracks have a nice vibe, just keep working on our mix's yeah ;)
*im curious what you are using to monitor or work ? what sort of space your working in ? headphones or studio monitors etc ?
i have no doubts that if you sent some of this stuff to an experienced engineer, that they could completely add whole new layers of depth to the mix and really take our initial ideas to a more sonically evolved place.

Tau Ceti

09 Jun 2016

decibel wrote:
Tau Ceti wrote:Thanks for listening and for your feedback.

your tracks have a nice vibe, just keep working on our mix's yeah ;)
*im curious what you are using to monitor or work ? what sort of space your working in ? headphones or studio monitors etc ?
i have no doubts that if you sent some of this stuff to an experienced engineer, that they could completely add whole new layers of depth to the mix and really take our initial ideas to a more sonically evolved place.
I use headphones, Beyerdynamic DT880Pro.
Bought a pair Audio-technica ATH-M50 not so long ago but i have not used them when i mix.
I have a pair of nEar04 monitors but i have always prefered headphones.
Thanks for listening.

• Information