(Trip Hop) My Shadow, My Love

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Jivethompson

01 Jul 2016

Song about feeling good about yourself but also a tribute to Dj shadow whom got me into making music in the first place.

Has some mastering faults but i do like the overall mix; perhaps some dull moments here and there.
Let me know what you think! (technical & musical wise) :D

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2016

Funky....
Started off a little, oh, hum, hmmm, and then it KICKS in, WOW, The mix is so full (something I have never been able to achieve), the style of music I can't pin down, a little bit fast for chilling, but at the same time it has this chilled overtones about it and then it gets funky funk, get my head moving. Top banana :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :cool:

tibah

01 Jul 2016

Maybe I was expecting a "darker" mood when reading trip hop, but great track nonetheless. Very chilled. Not a big fan of the vocals tbh, but different folks and all that. :)

The Private Press is one of my favorite albums. More dirty and more micro-editing than your track, but you have that drum work down. :thumbs_up:

Jivethompson

01 Jul 2016

You guys are too kind!

@Carly, much appreciated man. Yeah i used a lot of reverb (also on the top-end of the acoustic bass for example). The acoustic bass makes it also really full i think because its such a, well full sound :)

@tibah, thanks dude. Trip hop is probably not the best classification for this track but i cannot really think of something else (maybe funky/lounge?)
Endtroducing is my all time favorite by far; but private press is really good as well (haven't heard that album in a while btw). His style has complete changed though, moving away from sampling and more towards electronic even a little bit of trap i think

tibah

01 Jul 2016

Jivethompson wrote: @tibah, thanks dude. Trip hop is probably not the best classification for this track but i cannot really think of something else (maybe funky/lounge?)
Endtroducing is my all time favorite by far; but private press is really good as well (haven't heard that album in a while btw). His style has complete changed though, moving away from sampling and more towards electronic even a little bit of trap i think
I think his new album was just released? Just had a SoundCloud feed about and listened to the same. Not my cup of tea anymore, so Private Press it is for me, which is probably also dedicated to the time, discovering albums and all that jazz, since surely every artist needs development.

Jivethompson

01 Jul 2016

tibah wrote:
Jivethompson wrote: @tibah, thanks dude. Trip hop is probably not the best classification for this track but i cannot really think of something else (maybe funky/lounge?)
I think his new album was just released? Just had a SoundCloud feed about and listened to the same. Not my cup of tea anymore, so Private Press it is for me, which is probably also dedicated to the time, discovering albums and all that jazz, since surely every artist needs development.

Nah, his new work is not my cup of tea either. But kudos to him for taking a different direction; takes balls i reckon.

Ironically the name 'Endtroducing' was quite fitting since he never achieved that excellence again in my humble opion. That album made me feel that anything is possible musically and that i can do that as well (sampling, making beats, etc.).

tibah

01 Jul 2016

Need to listen to that for sure.

Well, this time was very interesting for me, as mentioned earlier, to discover many albums that still are my favorites today. Portishead - Dummy, Massive Attack - Mezzanine, Air - Moon Safari. I just started to produce back then and my interest in different kinds of music just went to extremes, which in the long run is a gift and a curse at the same time, now as producer. Gift because you have many views and ideas about your own music, curse because you can never decide or commit to a style, so your "craft" develops on equal levels for each of the things you like about music, but I would still rather have this than a more limited perspective on music. :)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2016

Jivethompson wrote:Trip hop is probably not the best classification for this track but i cannot really think of something else (maybe funky/lounge?)
"Funky Lounge", no slash matches it well or just "Lounge Funk"... but I like the word Funky LOL

Jivethompson

01 Jul 2016

Haha, 'Lounge Funk' ....i do like the ring to that :D

Bloma

03 Jul 2016

Yes. Very, very nice production on this one. Sounds trip-hopish to me. Perhaps the flute is a bit corny for me and that middle section the flute stays on a bit long. But real nice groove.

Djstarski

03 Jul 2016

Nice sounding track . Feels good .

Jivethompson

04 Jul 2016

tibah wrote:Need to listen to that for sure.

Well, this time was very interesting for me, as mentioned earlier, to discover many albums that still are my favorites today. Portishead - Dummy, Massive Attack - Mezzanine, Air - Moon Safari. I just started to produce back then and my interest in different kinds of music just went to extremes, which in the long run is a gift and a curse at the same time, now as producer. Gift because you have many views and ideas about your own music, curse because you can never decide or commit to a style, so your "craft" develops on equal levels for each of the things you like about music, but I would still rather have this than a more limited perspective on music. :)
Ah man i can relate to that! To be honest; its still a curse for me sometimes as I find too many genres interesting!

Jivethompson

04 Jul 2016

Thanks Bloma and Djstarski!

Audiol

06 Jul 2016

Very nice track. Nice, fluffy drums. Wonderfull.

FATCheese

07 Jul 2016

WowTF!

That's an awesome track man!
I definitely hear the Shadow influence.
I hope to create a funky track as that some day.

If you really want soem critism on your track than this is the only thing I can say:

The track as whole sounds like nothing is in mono and everything is in stereo.
That creates some sort of strange airy feeling like there's some solid ground missing.

Hope that makes sense...

Just my personal opinion.
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Jivethompson

07 Jul 2016

FATCheese wrote:WowTF!

That's an awesome track man!
I definitely hear the Shadow influence.
I hope to create a funky track as that some day.

If you really want soem critism on your track than this is the only thing I can say:

The track as whole sounds like nothing is in mono and everything is in stereo.
That creates some sort of strange airy feeling like there's some solid ground missing.

Hope that makes sense...

Just my personal opinion.

Hey man! Thanks a lot for your kind words!

And great feedback because i was not aware of this! I did monomize everything below 150hz (i think) but there is soooo much reverb on the mid to high range that i understand it is lacking some 'spacial grip'. So yeah, that definitely makes sense :D Also, i think the amount of reverb might be causing some problems on low quality speakers (like smart-phones) as it causes too much signal in the mid-high range spectrum.

VHS

07 Jul 2016

this is fantastic, very shadowey, great vibe. Ill be listening to this again.

Pete B

15 Jul 2016

Good track. Very listenable. I like all the sounds, especially the floaty woodwindy one that's there sometimes. Early on it sounded a little bit Stevie Wonderish as well to me.

I think the repeated piano could do with a bit more variation after a while. It's a nice phrase but I wanted you to go all improv jazz mad and knock it about a bit! I know the notes changed occasionally but how about changing its rhythm too? I wondered if that's why you dropped it out after a couple of minutes. When you did drop it out though the song seemed to be treading water for a while -- you can't please all of me all of the time! Maybe the woodwindy sound could do some blowing over that part, or instead of that part.

Jivethompson

15 Jul 2016

Pete B wrote:Good track. Very listenable. I like all the sounds, especially the floaty woodwindy one that's there sometimes. Early on it sounded a little bit Stevie Wonderish as well to me.

I think the repeated piano could do with a bit more variation after a while. It's a nice phrase but I wanted you to go all improv jazz mad and knock it about a bit! I know the notes changed occasionally but how about changing its rhythm too? I wondered if that's why you dropped it out after a couple of minutes. When you did drop it out though the song seemed to be treading water for a while -- you can't please all of me all of the time! Maybe the woodwindy sound could do some blowing over that part, or instead of that part.

Yo thanks for the feedback :)
I know what you mean, the song misses a little bit of variation. It still has this 'sequencer vibe' to some degree. Will take your remarks for my next song!

Jivethompson

15 Jul 2016

VHS wrote:this is fantastic, very shadowey, great vibe. Ill be listening to this again.
Thanks a bunch dude :D , glad you like it

Troyvasanth

15 Jul 2016

Hey Great track man, very nice drum work :)

ilikestargazing
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2016

Interesting stuff! Drums are tight.

Faxxer

21 Jul 2016

This could EASILY be on a Cafe Del Mar Album
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

• Information