(Brostep) E v S - Pale Male

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
VHS

01 Dec 2016

The intro and middle are comprised of Navi Retlav presets and internet vocals, the drops are expanse and serum eating each-other.
I have a shitty setup so any feedback about the mix (i.e. bass level, overly sharp highs) is highly appreciated.

Skullture

01 Dec 2016

I always like your productions a lot. Mix seems pretty good to me. The stereo elements could be done differently (some elements in the drop have more spread compared to others I think).

That said, I love the Dennis Rodman track. I want a copy of it, so good!

VHS

01 Dec 2016

Skullture wrote:I always like your productions a lot. Mix seems pretty good to me. The stereo elements could be done differently (some elements in the drop have more spread compared to others I think).

Sepcifically the first drop right? I hear it now. Definitely went too far on the spread at points.

Thanks man for the kind words, and Ill make that song downloadable when I finish cleaning it up for sure :puf_smile:

Skullture

01 Dec 2016

VHS wrote:
Skullture wrote:I always like your productions a lot. Mix seems pretty good to me. The stereo elements could be done differently (some elements in the drop have more spread compared to others I think).

Sepcifically the first drop right? I hear it now. Definitely went too far on the spread at points.

Thanks man for the kind words, and Ill make that song downloadable when I finish cleaning it up for sure :puf_smile:
Keep it going, send your stuff to Owsla or something. It's too good not to be heard by a larger audience ;)

VHS

01 Dec 2016

Skullture wrote: Keep it going, send your stuff to Owsla or something. It's too good not to be heard by a larger audience ;)

Well that's a confidence booster, I'll look into it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Jivethompson

02 Dec 2016

As the others said,

Always a pleasure to hear your sounds! Really wel put together and sick drops dude :D
Definitely appriopate for gig on a friday/saturday night ;-)

Mix-wise,
I have no issues with higher freq (usually they become apparent when uploading to soundclouds lower bitrate) but i do have a feeling these tracks lack a bit of bass presence in the lower (sub) frequencies. Do you any change mix in a small room? This might explain why the bass is actually lower than you perceive while mixing (just a thought).

Anyway, great stuff!!

VHS

02 Dec 2016

Jivethompson wrote: i do have a feeling these tracks lack a bit of bass presence in the lower (sub) frequencies. Do you any change mix in a small room? This might explain why the bass is actually lower than you perceive while mixing (just a thought).
I work in headphones so you're very right about bass perception :oops: . Any advice? or just turn the bass up a bit past where i normally would?
Thanks for the feedback!

Peter

02 Dec 2016

Pretty good as always...top notch. You might benefit from getting a Sub Pac for mixing the bass with a headphone setup especially for the kind of music you do.

Jivethompson

03 Dec 2016

VHS wrote:
Jivethompson wrote: i do have a feeling these tracks lack a bit of bass presence in the lower (sub) frequencies. Do you any change mix in a small room? This might explain why the bass is actually lower than you perceive while mixing (just a thought).
I work in headphones so you're very right about bass perception :oops: . Any advice? or just turn the bass up a bit past where i normally would?
Thanks for the feedback!

TBH, just leveling the bass might screw up your already very good mix since your kickdrum takes a pretty amount of space in that spectrum (right?).
You can try this of course but be careful/gentle!

Personally, I would isolate both kick and (sub)bass and see how the sub can be leveled without intefering with the kick (you propably already know this). So you can for instance cut some sub in your kick and add some in your subbass or sidechain your kick with the subbass. SIdechaining can have a cool effect as it 'cuts' through the bass when it kicks. This is especially handy when your kick and bass are frequently on top of each other :D

BTW, do you also use earbuds when mixing? I tend to use both headphones and earbuds, especially for the low frequencies. In earbuds there are less present but they should be present to some degree. This will help getting the subbass right --> not too booming on headphones and not too weak on earbuds :D

Jivethompson

03 Dec 2016

Peter wrote:Pretty good as always...top notch. You might benefit from getting a Sub Pac for mixing the bass with a headphone setup especially for the kind of music you do.

Holy crap, did not know this existed!! Very cool!
I'm writing Santa about this

winkie

03 Dec 2016

I like your stuff blood, keep at it. : ))

• Information