[Trance] All that could have been

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
phoken

02 Nov 2017

Hello Reasoners,

tried to come up with some trance music, basically this is the result of digging into Hydlide's Trance HowTo Series on Reasonexperts.com https://www.reasonexperts.com/reason-vi ... roduction/
This is not meant to be cross site marketing or something, i am just awfuly thankful sites like reasontalk and reasonexperts exist and want at least mention them, because without them i never would have finished this track.

Spend a lot of the time with mixing, but as i have only Headpohnes for that, hope for some feedback of anyone of you has the time to listen to the track.
I am quite new to making music, this is the 3rd track i finished. Think there's a lot room for improvement.

Hope you like it anyways.

Thanks for listening

Cheers

Phoken

Edit: typos

Hoyos

02 Nov 2017

do not know much about trance but mixing isnt bad in terms of levels. On the other hand, most synths sounds are pretty thin, there is much space that is not being used, and the bass isn't really that present in the mix which I think would be extremely important in trance. I'd recommend some layering on the synths and work on the bass so it can pump more and be more present in the high end. (distortion, saturation and a bit of side processing)

phoken

03 Nov 2017

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the track and your feedback.
Regarding the synths, i find your comment rather interesting and useful. I on the contrary had the impression that i should maybe add another small element in the 1st half of the song instead of altering the sounds of the existing ones, but i guess you are right. Even though the main synth that comes in at the drop, that is already layered of 2 Thors, maybe theres room for one more.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

Cheers

lakinlakin

03 Nov 2017

phoken wrote:
03 Nov 2017
Thanks for taking the time to listen to the track and your feedback.
Regarding the synths, i find your comment rather interesting and useful. I on the contrary had the impression that i should maybe add another small element in the 1st half of the song instead of altering the sounds of the existing ones, but i guess you are right. Even though the main synth that comes in at the drop, that is already layered of 2 Thors, maybe theres room for one more.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

Cheers
Liked it. Well done.

I agree you could add something perhaps a few swirly effects (sfx or white noise sweeps - all the usual stuff). But it is really difficult to know when to stop/start.

Hoyos may be right about the bass.

phoken

03 Nov 2017

Thanks man. Yes, i think especially the 1st hald, before the break need one addiizonal element, to make this minute a bit more interesting. i tried to add a subtle variation to the arpegged synth, but thats not enought. Also i'd agree that, especially in the climax, there should be something more in the bass area. Maybe i've oderdone the HPF on all elements execpt the Drum-track. My aim was to make this track as interesting as possible, even though it kinda lacks sound design, i did not want to be too repetetive.
Do you guys think the song structure could be improved? i have the feeling more than 6:53 would be too long then...

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Kenni
Site Admin

03 Nov 2017

All in all well done.

The stereo image of some of the synths is a bit wide, which makes them stand out too much, though without being too loud. If you work a bit on boosting the bass levels, they'll sort of blend more and balance each other out.

I think the lead synth @ 4:08'ish is a bit too loud though. I'd EQ out some of the lower mids and turn the synth down a bit.

I like the drone-bass throughout the track though. I love it when people are able to add moving melodies on top of drone basslines and still make it interesting!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

phoken

03 Nov 2017

Thanks for The feedback. I highly appreciate it.

I think the real trouble is me mixing with headphones. Even if they are not the cheapest ones, (open back headphones AKG K702) and try to stay as neutral as they can, they still exaggerate the bass a bit, which then again leads to mixed with not enought bass when listening in the car on the phone using in ears.

The initial idea of the saw lead from 4:08 on was that it kinda jumps tight into your face, to some extend i wanted something 'big' or more like drastic to reward you for the long buildup. I hate it when people do long buildups which then lead to an mediocre climax which is only stuff played 2 minutes earlier. Anyways, i'll maybe fiddle around at the EQ a bit and see what happens

Thanks again, man!

katerli1

04 Nov 2017

hi
you got a couple of fine trax. I dig especially your techno trax. left you a follow and some comments on soundcloud. cool stuff!

phoken

04 Nov 2017

Thanks for listening and your comment.
But for the other ones, especially the very ist track, that is exactly what the names suggests: a techno attempt.
Looking back, this one is a bit embarrasing, bit as it's my firstborn, i have to like it. :lol:

Cheers

• Information