[ambient/new age/krautrock] Landscape

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
rorystorm

23 Dec 2021

A little bit of a mixed bag - it's as much Jean Michele Jarre as it is Steve Roach or Eno.
I made it in three days earlier this week, so hopefully it sounds all good. Made with Reason 12 point whatever we're up to, and mastered with T-Racks.

--------

A little bit of information for non New Zealanders who aren't familiar with te Reo Maori, the indigenous language. The song titles are all names of places I've lived in or near.

Pāuatahanui is an inlet north of Wellington, a couple of minutes drive from the house I lived in when my children were born. It's very beautiful and has amazing native and introduced bird life. The literal translation is "A single large pāua" - pāua are a kind of shellfish and a staple pre-European food. However apparently it was also slang for a man's parts, so as the inlet runs into the end of the long, narrow Porirua harbour, it's more likely it means 'One massive testicle'. Rich people park their boats there now.

Titirangi is the suburb of West Auckland where I grew up. In the 70s it was mainly hippies and artists. It's gentrified now and also polluted with the rich. Titirangi means 'Near the sky' although its current inhabitants prefer the mildly nauseating 'Fringe of heaven'. Maunga is hill or mountain; Titirangi Maunga in English is Mt Atkinson, the hill behind the house I grew up in that the suburb's named after. It's one of the highest points in the Auckland isthmus.

Central Auckland, where I lived in my 20s, is built on a bunch of small dormant volcanic cones. One is Maungakiekie. Kiekie is a kind of vine apparently - I had to look this one up. Before the European settlement of Auckland Maungakiekie had one of the largest pa, or towns, in Aotearoa. After the Maori were displaced it was made into a nature reserve, and for years was a landmark due to a big monument and massive tree which was visible for miles until it was cut down by lands rights activists.

In the 2000s I lived in a small university city called Dunedin near the bottom of Te Wai Pounamu, the South Island of Aotearoa New Zealand, with the best arts and music scene in the country. Aramoana is a small coastal settlement about 20 minutes north of Dunedin, and its name means 'Spring tide'. Quite New Age, although the town itself is desolate. It has a huge Victorian era pier, long disused, but is most famous for a mass shooting in 1990. It's still a very beautiful place.

I acknowledge the history of Aotearoa New Zealand and the rights of Maori, its indigenous people, in this work.

--------------

Last edited by rorystorm on 23 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

rorystorm

23 Dec 2021

oh, and the cover is a detail of Colin McCahon's 'The Days and Nights in the Wilderness'. He was mates with my dad.

rorystorm

27 Dec 2021

Just bumping this as I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has some, good or otherwise....

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2021

So why doesn't it sound like The Bats then? Nothing about your leather jacket at all! LOL

My current working partner is from Dunedin. He was picked up by a Split Enz bassist for a song he wrote when he was a teen:

One of the Policy Review podcasts I prepared was on "The Individual" and the Mosque attacks. Sad stuff all around.

I am not sure if you are aware but there was a semi-famous band called Landscape in the early 80's. Probably safe now but worth a check perhaps.

That gave me some listening time: I like it. Not a lot else to say but it is a reasonable fit for some of the things I do myself. There is a Facebook Group for Berlin School etc on Bandcamp. Post it there for some traffic.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2021

Long time ambient fan/musician, and this is right up my alley. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

rorystorm

29 Dec 2021

Awesome, thanks guys!
Started work on some more but I've had to put it on pause as I've managed to hurt my right inner ear which is extraordinarily painful so boo.

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2021

Sorry to hear.
:-(
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

rorystorm

30 Dec 2021

Thanks, its currently very painful indeed but apparently my actual eardrum is undamaged and there'll be no long term anything.

• Information