(Melodic Electronic) - Decoded

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2023

Decided to dig up an old tune I started years ago and finish it.
The song is very straight forward. I've sort of taken a minimalist approach where only the most important elements exist.

muckmclane

10 Oct 2023

Do u remember pete lansford?
This reminds me of one of his brass heavy techno tracks.
I see you doin the minimalism thing.
Was that inspired by cameron from venus theory lol.
I see you are going back to old songs and finishing them.
Do you ever go back to older finished tracks and take them into new directions?
All those .rns files to be opened and taken in a new direction, even if slight.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2023

muckmclane wrote:
10 Oct 2023
Do u remember pete lansford?
This reminds me of one of his brass heavy techno tracks.
I see you doin the minimalism thing.
Was that inspired by cameron from venus theory lol.
I see you are going back to old songs and finishing them.
Do you ever go back to older finished tracks and take them into new directions?
All those .rns files to be opened and taken in a new direction, even if slight.
Yes I remember Lansford. I've seen the Venus Theory video. I don't know if the minimalist approach might be a one-off. It's very much what I think is appropriate for each track.
Right now it's all over the place music making wise. I'm working both on completely new material, but also checking if there are any unfinished old tracks that I'd like to turn into full songs. In the past I've focused on one or two songs at a time, while right now I have maybe 10 different tracks I switch between. I figured it could be nice to try a new approach. We'll see in time whether this method works or not. :puf_smile:

I haven't made many remakes of my own tracks, at least not entire songs. I have on rare occasions reused melodies and put them in completely new contexts, basically making it an entirely new track.
I had look for these for a while before I found them. :puf_smile:
Here are two examples where I've taken old melodies and reused them. I've left some of the stuff around the melody just so you can hear it in context of the track.

The same melody can be found at 0:13 and 1:07. The first bit really is pretty horrendous production/mixing wise. But hey it was 11 years ago.

Here's another example I found. The same melody can be found at 0:50 and 1:48. The first bit is a musical sketch I wrote for my Synthetic Flesh project a long time ago. So the production is non existent. It never turned into a finished produced song.

It could be a fun idea to sometime make a project out of covering my own songs though. I have sooo much material to draw from. It's probably around 8 hours of fully produced music, perhaps even more, from the last 11 years.

muckmclane

11 Oct 2023

As you may recall "Legend" is one of my faves.

bossa
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2023

Great sound mixed!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2023

muckmclane wrote:
11 Oct 2023
As you may recall "Legend" is one of my faves.

Even though the two of us makes very different music, I think we share some views philosophically. I definitely see music making or any creative endeavour as an exploration. I want to see what kind of track happens next. I believe staying open to different outcomes help a lot. I don't think it's good to start a project from a too rigid place.

I too have a bunch of ideas/concepts saved and written down for possible music projects. Most of them don't get realized. But a few do. Some of them just need to be there a couple of years before I'm ready to actualize them. The idea of covering/reinterpreting my own music definitely gets added to that list of possible projects. I actually hadn't thought of that. I like that idea. But intuitively I know right now is not the time for that particual musical path. My head is elsewhere at the moment.
The last "theme" I did was with my last project/EP "Unknown Species" where I used an image as inspiration for all the tracks. I think all those art vidoes I've been consuming added to the music becoming very visual in its nature. I think I mentioned this mindset with an earlier song as well.

I don't have that inclination to work super fast as you do though. In fact lately I like to take my time, to not feel like I'm in a hurry. I have a very relaxed approach to music right now. But it seems my output hasn't decreased because of it. If anything it's made me feel more open to experimentation. I do tend to get pretty obsessed during the end of finishing a track though. Those last tweaks and arranging decisions. That's where discipline takes over for me. It might not be super fun, but I do like feeling like I've done what I've can to make the song as good as I can.
But I can see where you're coming from with not wanting to get stuck in details and instead keep things moving. Being playful. Not everything we enjoy has to end with some sort of end goal that we can show off. I don't see anything wrong with valuing the activity itself more than the end result.

The only time I work fast is with melodies. Anytime I hear a melody in my head I'm very quick to get it down in the sequencer (or on the phone if I'm not at home). Things like that can be very fleeting and is soon forgotten if I don't take action immediately.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 12 Oct 2023, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2023

bossa wrote:
12 Oct 2023
Great sound mixed!

muckmclane

18 Oct 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Oct 2023

intuitively I know right now is not the time for that particular musical path
As much as clever ideas can inspire, in some areas they can overwhelm.
Like starting a song for example. I find there is less creative down time, if I just start the song from scratch, with an initialized subtractor and scribble some midi in the sequencer, than if I get too carried away with clever inspiration ideas at that phase. It’s usually after I have achieved a momentum, that I will feel more comfortable doing things out of the norm.

• Information