Kalimba Practise :)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2024

Some of you may have seen it in another thread I posted. I've bought myself some new instruments. One of them is a kalimba. I've just felt a sudden urge to play some physical acoustic instruments. And specifically instruments that I've never played before.
I've tried to practise a bit here and there since I got the kalimba. It's still pretty hard and my playing isn't super smooth yet but I'm getting there. :puf_smile:
I just thought it could be fun to document some of my progress, mostly for myself. But I might share something here and there occasionally.
The recording quality isn't that great, but it's good enough for the documenting purpose it serves.

This is where I'm at currently. No edits.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2024

Harry Potter-ish Tetris theme. Love it!

Bes
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2024

heck yeah love that thocky sound
- Certified Reason expert

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2024

Quarmat wrote:
19 Jan 2024
Harry Potter-ish Tetris theme. Love it!
Glad you like it :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2024

Bes wrote:
19 Jan 2024
heck yeah love that thocky sound
Thanks. I just learned a new word, "thocky". :-)

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2024

It has a beautiful sound.

selig
RE Developer

21 Jan 2024

I got a little kalimba once and soon gave up - sampled it and use it all the time now!
Your playing is nice and even, something I struggled with. My main problem is like with guitar, I really needed to build up some callouses to play more than a few minutes at a time!

I have a producer friend with a big home-made bass kalimba (marimbula?) and he always talks me into playing it - and I always get sore fingers every time (when will I learn). ;)

[EDIT: found a picture! It is so big you sit on it when you play…]
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

21 Jan 2024

Years ago someone gave me a simple kalimba that they had bought from a junk shop. It was made out of a dried gourd or similar with just 7 tines that didn't adhere to any musical scale. I spent hours sampling it into the Akai and tuning the samples to make a playable thing but hardly used the samples after that. Those samples probably still live on a floppy disk in a box somewhere, unlike the sampler which is long gone. Not sure what happened to the kalimba. I have vague memories of one of the tines working loose.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2024

avasopht wrote:
21 Jan 2024
It has a beautiful sound.
Yes I think the kalimba has a pretty nice sound. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
21 Jan 2024
I got a little kalimba once and soon gave up - sampled it and use it all the time now!
Your playing is nice and even, something I struggled with. My main problem is like with guitar, I really needed to build up some callouses to play more than a few minutes at a time!

I have a producer friend with a big home-made bass kalimba (marimbula?) and he always talks me into playing it - and I always get sore fingers every time (when will I learn). ;)
Thanks.
I don't know if you're supposed to, but I actually play with my thumb nails. It sort of works as a guitar pick.

Bes
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2024

:clap: i would damage my fingers for this sound

:clap:
- Certified Reason expert

DaveyG

25 Jan 2024

If anyone has got Kalimba envy but doesn't want the hassle of having to actually learn or touch a real instrument (ew!), this just popped up my emails:

https://www.echosoundworks.com/kalimba- ... e-download

mimidancer

26 Jan 2024

nice thumbs

• Information