Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

22 Sep 2016

joeyluck wrote:
rcbuse wrote:
svenh wrote:It looks great and sounds great but why, oh why :?:, putting the delay and the reverb on the back panel?
My guess would be so the same UI can be used as a RE and on an iPad. Those knobs look touch friendly.
I think you might be right.

If you watch the video, you might notice the wood panels, which are not Reason's rack rails.
And the patch browser in the video is different. Unless it is an AU/VST... Looks like an iPad app.

CPU load on my MBPro is heavy. Cool that it can run on iPad. Maybe iOS is far more efficient than OSX.

joeyluck

22 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
rcbuse wrote:
svenh wrote:It looks great and sounds great but why, oh why :?:, putting the delay and the reverb on the back panel?
My guess would be so the same UI can be used as a RE and on an iPad. Those knobs look touch friendly.

If you watch the video, you might notice the wood panels, which are not Reason's rack rails.
And the patch browser in the video is different. Unless it is an AU/VST... Looks like an iPad app.

CPU load on my MBPro is heavy. Cool that it can run on iPad. Maybe iOS is far more efficient than OSX.
Well sounds like an AU/VST was confirmed, so this could be that...

Marco Raaphorst

22 Sep 2016

is this the introductory price?

superb sounding RE btw.

Marco Raaphorst

22 Sep 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
rcbuse wrote:

yes makes sense. iPad probably is not yet able to run something like this.

fieldframe
RE Developer

22 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
rcbuse wrote:

Maybe not with other apps through AudioBus, but just a single instance doesn't seem unreasonable for one of the more recent iPads.

joeyluck

22 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
rcbuse wrote:

I'm not sure about that. The Moog Model 15 is amazing and complex

tumar

22 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Actually iPad run something like this:

Marco Raaphorst

22 Sep 2016

tumar wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Actually iPad run something like this:
nice! I guess my late 2013 MBPro is getting a bit outdated :D

jfrichards

22 Sep 2016

tumar wrote:...Actually iPad run something like this:...
The Arturia presenter has answered, "What happened to my son's hamster?" "Our Piggy ate her."

Shokstar

22 Sep 2016

Bounce in place is my best friend within Reason :) Someone told me it can help me to save some DSP, if I need more :)

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

23 Sep 2016

Just to clarify the video shows the VST version. It looks practically identical, just the CV connectors and the External inputs are missing since this doesn't exist in the VST world :)

Richard

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

23 Sep 2016

pedrocaetanos wrote:Hi Richard,
Thank for your participation in the forum, and thank you for great products - by now I have almost all :)
Although a bit off-topic, could I get an hint to my question, please?... or am I hitting a trade secret? :D
No secret, it was the QRS. We added/changed quite a bit though, the original has less density and does not have modulation for instance. That's why we wrote "inspired by" in that case.

Richard

sdst
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2016

it seems that the strong of this Synth, are the bass and lead, I think, I need to try it

sounds good, :)

riemac

23 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
Thank for your participation in the forum, and thank you for great products - by now I have almost all :)
Although a bit off-topic, could I get an hint to my question, please?... or am I hitting a trade secret? :D
No secret, it was the QRS. We added/changed quite a bit though, the original has less density and does not have modulation for instance. That's why we wrote "inspired by" in that case.

Richard
Maybe you could add the reverb Algorithmen from the legend to antidote and dr-1 as well in an update. Or release it at least as a separate Rack extension.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Sep 2016

Some beautiful presets in this one, and it's a shame the FX, but especially that lovely reverb, were relegated to the back when it's only a 7U device. It's not too late to fix this. ;)

More problematic is why was the fader handle left at the incorrect height? It means the travel distance of the fader requires about four times the actual range. Looks to me like fader handle height (probably around 10mm) has been set to the height of the fader travel range. Rather surprised and even disappointed something that simple that got past beta tbh, I spotted that the first time I moved the wheels with a mouse. If the device is at the top of a full screen rack column, and the fader at zero, it can't even travel the full range in one mouse movement, as the cursor hits the top of the screen first.

edit: A quick follow-up and rechecking of this error on my other machine this morning and actually the issue is bit more complex so I could be wrong there. I have feeling because it's Mod Wheel it might be forced to operate in a different manner. On the one hand, if Mouse Range Precision is set to "Normal", the wheel faders will appear to operate correctly, so I guess it's possible there is a circumstance it got overlooked if everyone had Normal range set. I'd still suggest the fader setup might be wrong, as even using when "Very Precise" as the range, the travel distance of the mouse cursor should still be the same unless one is holding Shift to get the extra precision. But as I say, it's possible the mod wheel parameter forces the fader to operate in an unexpected and quite poor manner that's out of the devs control. Hmmm. :(
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 24 Sep 2016, edited 5 times in total.

pedrocaetanos

23 Sep 2016

riemac wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
Maybe you could add the reverb Algorithmen from the legend to antidote and dr-1 as well in an update. Or release it at least as a separate Rack extension.
I suppose The Legend's filter input will allow to use the reverb, but even with the filter all open won't the simulation will be still running and burning CPU? Releasing the reverb standalone is a great idea.

And did I guess wrong again when I thought that Fat Space is inspired by the AMS RMX 16? :)

PS: might as well ask it too - what classic is a two-stage design like the DC-2? unless... Dimension D?

Thanks!
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

svenh

24 Sep 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:Some beautiful presets in this one, and it's a shame the FX, but especially that lovely reverb, were relegated to the back when it's only a 7U device. It's not too late to fix this. ;)
The great delay and reverb of this synth are important parts of the overall sound when designin patches, and all the important sound design elements should be easily accessible. The knobs on the back are not as easily accessible, they could even be severely hidden by cables when the routing gets complex in the rack.

Even worse: when they are on the back, they can not be mapped on my Panorama, i.e. I get less of that lovely hardware feeling that I get when I can reach all sound design parameters by twisting knobs on my controller.

Having said that, I already bought the synth so obviously I find the value good enough anyway, but still as JP wrote, it's a shame...

Loque

24 Sep 2016

joeyluck wrote:Is it possible to use Distributor with only two instances of The Legend to get 8 voices?
It should be. Distributor switches after each note. But i am not sure if it works with polyphony chords, maybe if you conbine the note outs to only 2 or tweakt it a bit - never tried tbh.
Reason12, Win10

pjeudy

24 Sep 2016

I saw one maybe 2 post on here with people mentioning that they wanted to also get the VST version along side the RE version...well SYNAPSE just officially released the VST version as off 30 minutes ago :
http://www.synapse-audio.com/thelegend.html
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

24 Sep 2016

pjeudy wrote:I saw one maybe 2 post on here with people mentioning that they wanted to also get the VST version along side the RE version...well SYNAPSE just officially released the VST version as off 30 minutes ago :
Yes, remember the crossgrade is free. In case of a RE->VST crossgrade we need the receipt/invoice as proof of purchase, and for a VST->RE crossgrade, we need your PH username to issue a NFR license.

Richard

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

24 Sep 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:edit: A quick follow-up and rechecking of this error on my other machine this morning and actually the issue is bit more complex so I could be wrong there. I have feeling because it's Mod Wheel it might be forced to operate in a different manner. On the one hand, if Mouse Range Precision is set to "Normal", the wheel faders will appear to operate correctly, so I guess it's possible there is a circumstance it got overlooked if everyone had Normal range set. I'd still suggest the fader setup might be wrong, as even using when "Very Precise" as the range, the travel distance of the mouse cursor should still be the same unless one is holding Shift to get the extra precision. But as I say, it's possible the mod wheel parameter forces the fader to operate in an unexpected and quite poor manner that's out of the devs control. Hmmm. :(
Thanks JP, we'll look into this.
pedrocaetanos wrote:And did I guess wrong again when I thought that Fat Space is inspired by the AMS RMX 16? :)

Thanks!
No, it certainly is :) But the RMX has both a completely different sound and uses a completely different technology- since it's based on just a few delay lines which was all processors back then could handle.

Richard

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

24 Sep 2016

riemac wrote:Maybe you could add the reverb Algorithmen from the legend to antidote and dr-1 as well in an update. Or release it at least as a separate Rack extension.
We thought about the latter, not sure if/when we'll get around to that though. If we made it separate it would certainly be something bigger and with more features :)

Richard

joeyluck

24 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
pjeudy wrote:I saw one maybe 2 post on here with people mentioning that they wanted to also get the VST version along side the RE version...well SYNAPSE just officially released the VST version as off 30 minutes ago :
Yes, remember the crossgrade is free. In case of a RE->VST crossgrade we need the receipt/invoice as proof of purchase, and for a VST->RE crossgrade, we need your PH username to issue a NFR license.

Richard
I've always been wondered about NFR licenses for Rack Extensions. If they can't be resold or traded, aren't they all NFR? Curious why the distinction. Unless maybe Propellerhead plans to potentially offer reselling in the future...

But anyways, really great of you for doing this :thumbs_up:

riemac

24 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
riemac wrote:Maybe you could add the reverb Algorithmen from the legend to antidote and dr-1 as well in an update. Or release it at least as a separate Rack extension.
We thought about the latter, not sure if/when we'll get around to that though. If we made it separate it would certainly be something bigger and with more features :)

Richard
That would be great. DR-1 is my go to reverb in reason and it would be great If you would make a new reverb with more features. I will be the first to buy it.

• Information