Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

Wow, classic. You guys are going through the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and now you’re at ACCEPTANCE, lol.

I’m not moving past anger. Anger and version 9.5.

FYI, Logic Pro 11 is coming out very soon. It’s going to be AMAZING.

miscend

22 Sep 2017

Even the sample content isn’t new. The Soundiron stuff has been on sale many times in the shop and included in at least one or two of the shop bundles. This is like when they repackaged the decade old Analog Monsters refill into a new RE. The Samplemagic drums and loops have also been around.

Do you remember a time when Reason came with entirely new sounds? I don’t see the value in charging people for sounds they may already have in the form of third party refills.

Loque

22 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I sometimes have trouble getting the screen/qwerty piano to stay focused on a VST after I tweak the VST or switch patches. Maybe this will sort that out.
There is a patch 9.5.2 out today. This could help maybe.
Reason12, Win10

craven

22 Sep 2017

pjeudy wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Ok I'm gonna write this before watching the full video.

In R10 what I want to see is serious upgrades to the Mixer, sequencer, Midi editing ,audio editing windows, browser with real time time-stretch and sync with host BPM.

Oh....yea of course new devices. Ok now let's see the full video.
haha, curious to read what you will say once you watched it
:ugeek:

O1B

22 Sep 2017

I LOVE THIS UPDATE!!!!

Bye, Logic. Don't care. REASON. And, those ReInstruments are Monsters!
Yes, I'd want more. But, an awesome blueprint has been laid.
EUROPA, GRAIN, PANGEA, KLANG, HUMANA, from memory!! Missing one..

Grain - Nice GUI. Europa - FUN.
Pangea... an orchestra easily laid out in stereo. on and on an on...

I'll be mousing these Babies.
Plenty of Room left for RE devs to compete.

chimp_spanner

22 Sep 2017

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Nice update if that is what we needed, but I have to agree that it seems Propellerhead have now stopped taking users into consideration. I did expect big things from R-X and once again the Swedes had the earplugs in so as not to hear us. So frustrating!
Don't get me wrong, I too was expecting a huge change with Reason X, if only because that's the only time they'll get to use a name that cool :lol:

But I think how you react to it is a matter of perspective. Granted the impact of new devices is perhaps a little less than it would've been before we had access to a huge pool of third party devices. In the old days we had to wait for something like Thor. Now we've got access to the likes of Legend, eXpanse, Nostromo 2, Viking 2 and *then* VSTs on top of that. But, any two of the aforementioned devices would cost more than this update, and in addition to Europa and Grain we are getting a factory sound bank update and another three instruments (not including Rad Piano or Synchronous as I already own them). So value for money, to my mind, is good. Perhaps a little more so for new users but I'm still happy. It is a content update. And technically, in terms of size in MB, it is also probably the biggest, yes.

Also consider that 9.5 was probably the biggest change we've seen to Reason since audio tracks, and that was "free". Of course, it wasn't really. We bought a slightly underwhelming 9, and then got a game-changing 9.5 a few months later. Now with 10 I feel we're actually getting a pretty substantial update in terms of the new sounds and songs we'll be able to produce PLUS it'll grant us access to 10.5 whenever that comes out.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Sep 2017

22 Sep 2017
Nice update if that is what we needed, but I have to agree that it seems Propellerhead have now stopped taking users into consideration. I did expect big things from R-X and once again the Swedes had the earplugs in so as not to hear us. So frustrating!
This is the exact opposite of the truth. :puf_bigsmile:

VST was a direct result of our most requested feature of all time. A content upgrade was also a result of the many users who've requested new instruments or updated stock devices since the introduction of Reason 6.5. We listen to our users more than ever!

It's important to realize though that us listening and hearing all feedback does not mean we suddenly can do everything at once. Luckily it's not like Reason 10 is the last version. ;)

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Wow, classic. You guys are going through the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and now you’re at ACCEPTANCE, lol.

LMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're adorable.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Big expectations. I just stumbled about this :lol: : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-l ... -soon.html
Reason12, Win10

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

Sorped wrote:
22 Sep 2017
To all the snowflakes who are pissed off their most wanted feature isn't included - relax! PH can't cater to all of us at once. We got VST in 9.5, new devices in 10 and I'm pretty sure the future versions will have new features too...

Just to correct you features are not included.... If they added everything that would impact on workflow positively in Reason there would be no need for new devices you only have the want for new devices because of the lack of features on old devices. New devices are a distraction from what is not there its like a cat with a laser!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Loque

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
22 Sep 2017

VST was a direct result of our most requested feature of all time. A content upgrade was also a result of the many users who've requested new instruments or updated stock devices since the introduction of Reason 6.5. We listen to our users more than ever!

It's important to realize though that us listening and hearing all feedback does not mean we suddenly can do everything at once. Luckily it's not like Reason 10 is the last version. ;)
We want it all, and we want it now! (singing...and hand clapping...)

Relax! (singing again...) Great update, just maybe not for everyone. I do not need Face-ID, but 90% of customer need it, just wanted to say that :lol: ...
Reason12, Win10

etyrnal

22 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote: but can't help thinking, why didn't they update some of the devices they already have such as the Combinator, Thor and the NN-XT?
I'm always surprised that so few people understand this idea. How would you feel if 5 years from now or 10 years from now you decided to pull out one of your old compositions and do a little bit of work on it or remix it or edited or change it to included in something new, and you can't because the new version of Reason has changed the old instruments and now you cannot play back your composition from 5 or 10 years ago? If propellerheads changes the native built-in instruments it immediately destroys hundreds of thousands of users musical compositions.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

etyrnal

22 Sep 2017

Goodbye wrote:If this is it, then they haven't listened to anything their users have been saying. At all.

It actually looks like they haven't updated the app in any way.

They are saying 'The Biggest Update. Ever', when is is clearly not even close. This is the Trump way, say the exact opposite of the truth but do it really really loud and with conviction.
Keep in mind they not too long ago got a huge investor putting Capital into their company, so they are less worried about making users happy, and more worried about making money now. But they forget that the way they originally made their customers happy was by giving their customers what they wanted. Now they're just trying to make investors happy and they don't care so much about what their users need, because there's a bottom line called money now. The instant a company like this takes outside money they lose control over processes like this. The investing company doesn't have a direct control necessarily, but the musical company has an obligation to fulfill that overrides any of their creative inspirations.

pongasoft
RE Developer

22 Sep 2017

Utterly disappointed by this "upgrade".

Reason 10 is Reason 9.5 with 5 new REs + 2 old REs (that you probably already paid for) + new samples. How can they even call call that an upgrade?

And I thought Propellerhead finally got their sh*t together...

Yan

Andy
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

R11 only will have workflow improvements. There will be gripes about no new instruments or FX was included. Mark my words. :)

Great update Propellerhead.

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017

SKIP...
That's a shame. You should spend some time with them!
Yes and No. Yes, because I really feel dumb when using them atm. But NO - because they are very poorly making sense when learning/using them. Appeal level to use players is not good yet IMHO. Because of their design. Do they look good? Yup. But are they making sense, so people would know what they are doing, when trying to create patches? NOPE!

pjeudy

22 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017
pjeudy wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Ok I'm gonna write this before watching the full video.

In R10 what I want to see is serious upgrades to the Mixer, sequencer, Midi editing ,audio editing windows, browser with real time time-stretch and sync with host BPM.

Oh....yea of course new devices. Ok now let's see the full video.
Watch the video and try not to keep your mouth open with shear shock and horror.

https://media.giphy.com/media/10V2NtDmZ4lAek/giphy.gif
Lol.. hahahaha....are your watching me? :-)

Let me say this in all caps (sorry):
"REASON IS THE KING OF BEAUTIFUL LOOKING UI"

but not for me! Propellerhead is what Propellerheads is. After kissing my sreen when those beautiful devices are first loaded. I'm still Stuck with the same workflow that made me try another DAW for the first time ever.
Same sequencer, same Midi edit window, same huge Rack that takes up half of your screen when all you want to do is adjust a single knob. etc etc.

Oh well, but I'll stay optimistic, Maybe Reason 11.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

etyrnal

22 Sep 2017

jayhosking wrote:Europa and Grain alone seem worth the price of admission. Seems like they've been paying attention the REs that people are buying and using (i.e. things like Expanse and Proton). I'm excited to play with these new toys.
Grain looks way to over simplified for a granular synth engine. It's like one of the most basic ones I've seen. There are a number of other granular synthesizers out there that have far more than this synthesizer has. Only one oscillator? It's like they lowered the bar all the way to the ground so that they could just step over it.

synaptyx

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Maybe, but we would appreciate knowing that some of the underlying broken VST stuff has been looked at and fixed. Propellerhead's tight-lippedness has long been a major frustration.
And not a single major workflow improvement to crow about?
Disappointing and frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by synaptyx on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Since Reason 1

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

pongasoft wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Utterly disappointed by this "upgrade".

Reason 10 is Reason 9.5 with 5 new REs + 2 old REs (that you probably already paid for) + new samples. How can they even call call that an upgrade?

And I thought Propellerhead finally got their sh*t together...

Yan
Yep! Will still try the beta though before I completely make my mind up about it :D
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

stp2015

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
22 Sep 2017

I also have to say: I requested the remotable for VST window open/close , I know Matthias read it, and now it is there in the 9.5.2. Small victory! I would also still like some more remotables, especially for the zoom engine. For now I have put the zoom shortcuts on my beatsteap encoders using some, but it is not ideal.

fotizimo

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017

You are still here? Why don't you just leave? What possible reason do you have to stay here and continue to comment on any thread? We all know that every word you say will be a comment about hating this product and the community and that every other DAW is better. You have nothing new to add at this point but noise.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Goodbye wrote:If this is it, then they haven't listened to anything their users have been saying. At all.

It actually looks like they haven't updated the app in any way.

They are saying 'The Biggest Update. Ever', when is is clearly not even close. This is the Trump way, say the exact opposite of the truth but do it really really loud and with conviction.
Keep in mind they not too long ago got a huge investor putting Capital into their company, so they are less worried about making users happy, and more worried about making money now. But they forget that the way they originally made their customers happy was by giving their customers what they wanted. Now they're just trying to make investors happy and they don't care so much about what their users need, because there's a bottom line called money now. The instant a company like this takes outside money they lose control over processes like this. The investing company doesn't have a direct control necessarily, but the musical company has an obligation to fulfill that overrides any of their creative inspirations.

The most important part about making money as a company is making users happy. That's product 101. This hasn't changed for us and I as product manager personally strive toward that goal. Many users did want better stock devices in Reason. :)

Sorped

22 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Sorped wrote:
22 Sep 2017
To all the snowflakes who are pissed off their most wanted feature isn't included - relax! PH can't cater to all of us at once. We got VST in 9.5, new devices in 10 and I'm pretty sure the future versions will have new features too...

Just to correct you features are not included.... If they added everything that would impact on workflow positively in Reason there would be no need for new devices you only have the want for new devices because of the lack of features on old devices. New devices are a distraction from what is not there its like a cat with a laser!
I used new feature as in anything new, upgrade of the sequencer, addition of X, inclusion of Y. Point of the matter is; we can't have all wanted upgrades/features/additions/whatever-you-want-to-call-them in the same upgrade. A lot of people in this thread seem ticked off that the one or two particular things they want, isn't included. Reason doesn't stop with version 10.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

fotizimo

22 Sep 2017

The reality is that v10 was probably planned internally within PH exactly as it is, going back some time. They gave Reason VST and hyper-threading in v9.5 as a way to make those users who wanted access outside the Reason sandbox as well as some performance improvements. But with v10, they obviously wanted to bring some new sounds. New features and functionality in Reason has always been slow, and we as a group tend to get fixated on what we do not have versus what we already got. AS someone who stepped away from Reason for a few years and came back at v8, I was trully amazed at the progress that had been made.

To me, new sounds are always welcome. With the prices of some of these instruments lately, I for one think the upgrade will be a great idea. I will be on-board for the upgrade day-1. I am glad to see PH is committed to keeping Reason sounding fresh with some new devices. I do hope the pace of performance and functionality improvements do improve within the product.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

• Information