Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

Goodbye wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Why PH includes Radical Piano and Synchronous which like %90 of old users have them.
They have included it because 90% of users have them, so they don't lose any potential sales. It's just to bulk a thin release out a bit. Like with all the samples and the novelty SoundIron REs. This release is basically two (admittedly interesting) synths and loads of filler. Oh and loads of marketing.
Or here's a thought - perhaps they included them because 100% of new users don't have them at all. If you want to remain a successful company, you need to sell new products, too.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017

By the way, I wonder who these people were though, who wanted MORE internal synths and MORE drum samples. And like, WHERE are they, because they surely aren't HERE.
*slowly raises hand* I mean. I want those things, and here I am, so...

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

Sorped wrote:
22 Sep 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017

It doesn't stop at version 10 but I sure as shit will be stopping at version 9.5 if all that is being added is new devices. More to me is features I would gladly pay for an update if 20% of the many great feature suggestions here and sent into props were added. The foundation of Reasons sequencer is not solid a lot needs to be changed and streamlined to pave the way for new devices. I said it when VST's were added and again. To me I love having VST's but without the other features for workflow Reason is not at its potential its below it and I would gladly trade VST support if even 30% of user suggestions were added.
I can't wholeheartedly disagree with you, for sure. Did you btw see chimp_spanners post about other tweaks in 10?
Must have missed with all the replies which post?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Goodbye wrote:
22 Sep 2017

There has been a lot of honest feedback recently but you seem to have ignored it all. Have a look at the Reason 10 Feature Request thread recently to see what users actually want. I don't think there is a single feature from it in Reason 10.
davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Here are our CURRENT feature requests though: viewforum.php?f=6

Be a good little product manager and actually read them (no, but I mean like FOR REAL) and pass them along to your boss.
We track that thread too. In fact, I read most all feedback and do tons of research, not only on forums. We do listen. Reason 9.5 and Reason 10 are actually direct results of that. And since it's worth saying again: we will keep improving Reason. We have nothing to gain by releasing versions that nobody wants. :)
Don't listen to the users too much - next you'll get the complaint that you "lack a clear innovative vision" :lol: Like Game of Thrones, just fan service :P

kuhliloach

22 Sep 2017

But we make instruments dammit! Coding shmode-ing. Here, have a piano you already purchased!

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017

By the way, I wonder who these people were though, who wanted MORE internal synths and MORE drum samples. And like, WHERE are they, because they surely aren't HERE.
Yeah I've seen plenty of complaints about "the dated Soundbank" and such. Reason used to be very good out-of-the-box in that regard - but after 10 years, it tended to become stale for a lot longtime users, and not modern enough for new users.

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Sep 2017
* Raises hand with you*

At the upgrade cost, I can honestly say I've spent more on sound libraries and/or refills over the course of 1 month than it's going to cost to get several new instruments - with new patch libraries - plus all of that new sample content in 10. I mean, seriously - I know I would have loved to seen a dozen other things in Reason before this, but the content/synths alone are easily worth the cost of upgrading IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

22 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote: but can't help thinking, why didn't they update some of the devices they already have such as the Combinator, Thor and the NN-XT?
I'm always surprised that so few people understand this idea. How would you feel if 5 years from now or 10 years from now you decided to pull out one of your old compositions and do a little bit of work on it or remix it or edited or change it to included in something new, and you can't because the new version of Reason has changed the old instruments and now you cannot play back your composition from 5 or 10 years ago? If propellerheads changes the native built-in instruments it immediately destroys hundreds of thousands of users musical compositions.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
They have already updated the old instruments in the past without breaking backwards compatibility. Remember when they brought in the ability to actually sample within the samplers?

If you look at the rest of the industry stuff like Kontakt updated regularly without breaking things.

Sorped

22 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Sorped wrote:
22 Sep 2017

I can't wholeheartedly disagree with you, for sure. Did you btw see chimp_spanners post about other tweaks in 10?
Must have missed with all the replies which post?
Sorry, my bad, I was confusing it with the 9.5.2 - see Matthias' thread in Reason General! :)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Don't listen to the users too much
Propellerhead: "Behold, Reason 10."

WongoTheSane

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Sep 2017
* Raises hand with you*
Hands up here too.

And in any case, a better offer for new users = more new users = more cash = more money to develop the "engine". Having lots of ideas isn't the difficult part (particularly when the ideas are like "I want this but better", which is 99% of the suggestions here), financing them is.

esefelipe

22 Sep 2017

I’ll be upgrading. Yes, it’s missing the feature updates we’ve mentioned, but as I’ve started treating Reason more like a music-creation rack and less like a DAW, this update is ironically perfect. Two modern stock synths, cool, why not?

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

I'm wondering though: why a public beta?

Why is that needed if it's just these instruments? Haven't instruments usually been released without public beta's?

Is it just because it's R10 and the beta is for the looks of it, or is it because there's something special to test?

davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

Jesus christ, Enochlight....there's just something suspiciously funny about you. Are you on Propellerhead's payroll or something?? Do you even make music? Can I hear it?

kuhliloach

22 Sep 2017

Let me guess -- almost nobody bought Layers for their absurd sale price and now Props is trying to figure out some way to sell instruments for a premium price without actually improving Reason. So, calling it version "10" is a psychological strategy. As far as I can tell it's not an upgrade -- not even a small upgrade.

I have to admit I'm growing increasingly concerned about the leadership of Propellerhead Software as a company. Do they have any serious programmers? Does the management think Reason's UI is acceptable? Who at that company approved the announcement of a version 10 without any UI or workflow improvements?

EdGrip

22 Sep 2017

I dunno how closely you follow this place, Matthias, but Davidvilla is basically our version of Alex Jones from Infowars.

esselfortium

22 Sep 2017

I'm really eager to put Europa and Grain to use in some songs. They're a massive upgrade from the stock instruments Reason has shipped with until now. With that said, I also sincerely hope that 10.5 brings some comparatively massive upgrades and overhauls to other parts of the program!
kuhliloach wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Let me guess -- almost nobody bought Layers for their absurd sale price and now Props is trying to figure out some way to sell instruments for a premium price without actually improving Reason. So, calling it version "10" is a psychological strategy. As far as I can tell it's not an upgrade -- not even a small upgrade.
:lol:
Didn't Layers just come out, like, a week or two ago? I'm pretty sure it takes longer than that to put together a new version release.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

Why thank you! I'm honored! I'm more of a David Icke guy though....

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

I'm happy with the new offering. I like Thor and there are some fantastic REs but these new devices seem pretty competitive.

UI improvements would be welcomed too. Just so ya know.

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Why thank you! I'm honored! I'm more of a David Icke guy though....
:lol:

synaptyx

22 Sep 2017

kuhliloach wrote:Who at that company approved the announcement of a version 10 without any UI or workflow improvements?
This. All the this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Reason 1

Goodbye

22 Sep 2017

So how is this even a release? It's just an RE bundle and a refill. This should just be sold in the shop.

miscend

22 Sep 2017

Goodbye wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Why PH includes Radical Piano and Synchronous which like %90 of old users have them.
They have included it because 90% of users have them, so they don't lose any potential sales. It's just to bulk a thin release out a bit. Like with all the samples and the novelty SoundIron REs. This release is basically two (admittedly interesting) synths and loads of filler. Oh and loads of marketing.
This is true. I think going forward in future this will become the trend. The most popular refills and RE's will be added to Reason once they have maximised potential sales. Synchronous for example was given away for free to early adopters of 7.1 and then sold in the shop for some time. Pulsar and Audiomatic were also given to early adopters for free, then sold in the shop for a time and then finally included in Reason.

I can see either Polar, PX-7, Parsec or Antidote as potential future candidates for inclusion.

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

Goodbye wrote:
22 Sep 2017
So how is this even a release? It's just an RE bundle and a refill. This should just be sold in the shop.
I think this is aimed at the people who would be annoyed if stuff like this is only released through the shop. This update is easily skippable if you're not interested in the new additions, of course, and that's not that different from a shop release.

For me, I can't wait to play with Europa :) Seems like a synth that's (almost) as good as Expanse - worth the price for me.

FlowerSoldier

22 Sep 2017

Grain looks lit af.
I'm personally excited.
I think we should wait until Oct. 25th before we all start grumbling...It's not even out yet for goodness sake.

• Information