Can not even use reason at this point

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ethernine

09 Dec 2019

Yeah so for years i have used reason never ever in one day have i ever got my computer was to slow EVER! into now

my specs

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB

Maybe i just need a new mac all together... But this thing is flipping out hard i mean i can't even make beats yet alone open Songs i did with artist with vocals songs that used to open without a skip or a Dsp bar moving.. now same song say my computer to slow
My hard drive is pretty freed up also i ssd i have 3 ssd external glyph and 1 inside the mac.

either way if someone could help me that would be great. oh i'm in reason 11

Little more info... Dsp bar goes nuts then audio stop working. I have a Apollo Twin sound card i updated all the drivers and software for it. still going nuts

reddust

10 Dec 2019

Are you using a lot of VST plugins? If so, I'd recommend to "freeze" the tracks with VST instruments you're not currently working on to save some CPU, that could help a lot.

By "freezing" I mean bounce the midi track to audio and after switch off the VST instrument until you need to work on that track again, not switching it off won't save you any CPU usage.

Another possibility might be your audio card, a friend of mine has one of these Apollo Twin cards as well and they're quite fast out of resources from what I hear from him. I think it happens when you load their own effects as they seem to be very heavy and the sound cards themselves aren't often very powerful to handle many of those effects at a time. He's always talking about upgrading the card, which I find not really an optimal solution, then they are quite expensive.

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2019

I've got a machine with muuuch lower specs than that and it works perfectly fine for me.

Something else is most likely going on here.

JdA57

10 Dec 2019

avasopht wrote:
10 Dec 2019
I've got a machine with muuuch lower specs than that and it works perfectly fine for me.

:thumbs_up:

Yes, same here. My Mac has much slower specs too, and since years works perfect for me too :thumbs_up:

think same, maybe to much plugs, or the plugs are not used opotimized

- reduce Polyphonie,
- reduce oversampling,
- change plugs - often you can do same sound with anoter not as so cpu-hungry plug / RE etc ...

and yes, like another user say'd: convert some sounds to audiotrack.

and maybe change buffersize of your audiocard to higher value

( :D and Internet off, while working with Reason helps sometimes too :D )

bitley

10 Dec 2019

Disconnect the audio interface, use your mac's internal audio. Just to try things out.

Check for firmware & driver updates to your interface, if none available, consider selling it.

Despondo
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2019

Make sure to try adjusting these settings. Try a few different things depending on your setup.
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.25.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.25.18 AM.png (422.09 KiB) Viewed 1165 times

stp2015

10 Dec 2019

avasopht wrote:
10 Dec 2019

Is your machine a mac? Are you running reason in low resolution mode?

ethernine

15 Dec 2019

stp2015 wrote:
10 Dec 2019
avasopht wrote:
10 Dec 2019

Is your machine a mac? Are you running reason in low resolution mode?

Yes its a mac...

i don't know maybe i just reboot my mac back to the day i got cause this is really pissing me off now....

my wife even said f$%k reason lol cause when i woke up i swear there was a xmas gift MPCX on the table today lol im like wtf :shock: :o I asked for a fusion and got a mpcx :shock: :thumbs_up:

think am about to just move on to studio one and use reason as a plug or something i feel proud i did two albums in reason and maybe over 500beats So am feeling good about the jump i guess.

still if anyone could help id be grateful... this mpcx learning curve gonna hurt

real fast...... problem does not happen when reason come on i could mix and i could do a beat for maybe 5mins then stuff starts to flip out DSP bar jumps to full fast and thats with built in devices.. Never had this happen ever

and another qestion if i updated from 10 to 11 could i remove 10? could that be the problem cause i think both are installed?

Last thing it really freaks out when i have google chrome open... yeah i know chrome is crap lol

chimp_spanner

15 Dec 2019

Weird. All I can say is, it’s obviously not supposed to do that. I’m on a 2017 mbp and run for hours with no issues. So this would point to something specific to your system. Have you disabled Hyperthreading?

10 and 11 can do exist without issues so I doubt it’s that. So yeah sorry I can’t think of a solution straight away - not something I’ve encountered.

Hopefully someone else will have a brain wave but cleaning your system out might be the only thing that does it.

Bjørn Felle

15 Dec 2019

Disable Retina resolution for Reason, I believe that solves this problem.

• Information