music laws regarding using loops?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

05 Jun 2020

So if i take a single loop out of reason and just repeat it over and over, would it be ok? can i sell it this way for example?

also what if i just take the loop repeat it and put a vocal over it?

i'm trying to understand usage of loops.....in terms of music law

thanks

Aquila

05 Jun 2020

Depends on the licensing of the loop source. Most commercially available loops or samples provide sufficient license to use it indefinitely but always double check.

Loops in Reason's factory sound bank, for example, should be fine to use.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

I think you'd be fine if you put a vocal over it.
Even if you just had a Reason loop repeating alone, my guess is you'd probably be fine. Perhaps it depends on if someone has done that before with the same loop. Maybe they could claim you ripped them off in that case. I suspect many times it's simply a matter of being first. But who would actually make a loop with nothing else added, just repeating it for a couple of minutes and then try to sell it as a song?

Not trying to be rude here. But what is your overall goal with your music?
I just find many (not all) of your questions to be pretty random and confusing. Like what knowledge are you supposed to gather from some of these questions? Someone said in one of your earlier threads that "You're asking the wrong questions". That may have sounded rude but what I suspect was that the intent was to say that sometimes your focus seems be on small unimportant things while missing the bigger picture.

That's why I'm asking "What is your overall goal with your music?" What kind of music do you make? In many cases we could probably help you out more if we could hear some of your music so we know what your overall aim with music is. Would you be willing to share a recent track you've made?

Tiny Montgomery

05 Jun 2020

Rihanna's global hit Umbrella used a stock drum loop from Garage Band.

samsome

05 Jun 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Even if you just had a Reason loop repeating alone, my guess is you'd probably be fine. Perhaps it depends on if someone has done that before with the same loop. Maybe they could claim you ripped them off in that case. I suspect many times it's simply a matter of being first. But who would actually make a loop with nothing else added, just repeating it for a couple of minutes and then try to sell it as a song?

I just find many (not all) of your questions to be pretty random and confusing. Like what knowledge are you supposed to gather from some of these questions? Someone said in one of your earlier threads that "You're asking the wrong questions". That may have sounded rude but what I suspect was that the intent was to say that sometimes your focus seems be on small unimportant things while missing the bigger picture.

That's why I'm asking "What is your overall goal with your music?" What kind of music do you make? In many cases we could probably help you out more if we could hear some of your music so we know what your overall aim with music is. Would you be willing to share a recent track you've made?
hi i'm just trying to gain some confidence into using loops in general...not in the way i described it but i took the question into extreme just to understand. I was watching the Avicii dancing in my head video and said loops without any shame, so who am to consider not using loops :P Will try get in the habit incorporating them when playing around. I don't have many tracks to share, anyway

thanks for your answers guys

samsome

05 Jun 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
05 Jun 2020
Rihanna's global hit Umbrella used a stock drum loop from Garage Band.
interesting...

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2020

samsome wrote:
05 Jun 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Jun 2020

hi i'm just trying to gain some confidence into using loops in general...not in the way i described it but i took the question into extreme just to understand. I was watching the Avicii dancing in my head video and said loops without any shame, so who am to consider not using loops :P Will try get in the habit incorporating them when playing around. I don't have many tracks to share, anyway

thanks for your answers guys
I understand you took it to an extreme with your example.

But do you get my other point though, regarding the overall picture of making music? Obviously you're free to ask any question you want.
But if I were you I would finish a couple of tracks first even with all the "rookie mistakes", flaws and all, just to gain some practical experience. The process of finishing tracks contains so many possibilities to learn from: Songwriting, arrangement, sound selection, creative vision, tweaking sounds/effects, mixing, (mastering). You'll learn a ton by doing that.
And then after a couple of finished tracks ask more of these specific questions that have come up during your music making. That's what I've trying to convey to you in many of your other threads. I'm not saying this to be mean. I just feel like you're doing things in the wrong order and you won't progress very fast doing it like this. It's a bit like reading a bunch of recepies or asking people what ingredients are the best while simultaneously never cook a meal in your life. How much can knowledge can a person really gain from that? We need practise in order to make the theoretical part valuable.

Anyway this is my subjective opinion and it's the best I can offer you. Take what you want from it. This will probably be my last response to you in a while. I just can't keep answering more questions when I feel the focus is on the "wrong" things.
Good luck. Take care mate. Let me know when you've finished a track, would love to hear it, whatever level it's at.

chimp_spanner

05 Jun 2020

When I used to work for a loop library, we had a very specific clause in our EUA that said the samples/construction kits couldn't be released as-is. There must be some element of adaptation or transformation. I don't know how we ever would have enforced that, or if we ever did, but I know that they didn't want people just releasing stuff they didn't actually do.

Now I work in library and production music. From that perspective, the disincentive to using stock loops is that music coordinators and supervisors might recognise them. I'm at that point now where I know when someone's using popular presets or loops (for instance, if someone submits orchestral/hybrid music using Damage, we either tell them to redo the drums or we just reject it because those loops are SO overdone).

There's also the matter of content recognition errors. We had someone recently contact us to say that we'd made a claim on a song of theirs on YouTube, even though they've never worked for or with us. Our best guess is, they used the same loop as someone else who supplied some music to us. And as far as the system is concerned, they're the same song.

None of which is to say I'm against the use of loops. But just be aware that if you can use it, so can someone else. So ideally the end goal should always be to do something transformative and original with it.

EdGrip

05 Jun 2020

I'd go so far as to say, don't worry about legalities at this point. If you want to sample a break or a chunk of a famous song, or a line from a famous film, because you've got an idea for something fun you want to do with it - just do it. You just need to be making stuff.

IF you get to the point where your music might in any way need to have clearances, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. But that's not for now.

Loops from loop libraries like Loopmasters, or from stock libraries that come with DAWs like Reason, are made to be used in any way you like, even commercially. The only exception might be, as chimpspanner noted, trying to package those loops and selling them as-is. But you're not going to try that, cos you're not a terrible person.

• Information