Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Interpretation of the statement is certainly up for debate.
Only if you feel that selling software is no longer a viable business for Reason Studios. ;)
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I am imagining me telling my wife the following:

"What if I had a girlfriend and I did not love you anymore? I am not saying that this is the case, but I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will or will not be a girlfriend in the future. Regardless, I think you and me have many great things in the pipeline for the next years!

I think I would end up on the couch or in my own apartment.
If you think your example is the same as what Mattias used as an example, then it's my opinion that you belong on the couch in your own apartment. :lol:
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Not charging for upgrades works fine for FL Studio, no? Did you just suggest that they are not "anyone with a common sense" ?
If continually charging for software wasn't a better business model for Reason Studios compared to a "one-time charge and you get everything for free forever" business model, why do you think Propellerhead (now Reason Studios) ever adopted such a business model to begin with? ;)

I'll wait.

Also, to clarify how Image-Line works their "free updates for life" policy, new software synthesizers and effects are often a separate purchase and there are usually optional add-on purchases.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Only if you feel that selling software is no longer a viable business for Reason Studios. ;)
I am trying to interpret his statement, not to project my opinion on it. ;) Btw, talking about upgrades, not software per sé.

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
If charging for upgrades wasn't a better business model for Reason Studios compared to a "one-time charge and you get everything for free forever" business model, why do you think Propellerhead (now Reason Studios) every adopted such a business model to begin with? ;)
You may or may not be aware that Reason Studios (formerly known as Propellerheads) is under new leadership. ;) It is not uncommon that companies change strategies when CEOs change. A new CEO will often have a different view on what the best strategy is. Business environments also change. What worked years ago may not work today ;)

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I am imagining me telling my wife the following:

"What if I had a girlfriend and I did not love you anymore? I am not saying that this is the case, but I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will or will not be a girlfriend in the future. Regardless, I think you and me have many great things in the pipeline for the next years!

I think I would end up on the couch or in my own apartment.
If you think your example is the same as what Mattias used as an example, then it's my opinion that you belong on the couch in your own apartment. :lol:
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Not charging for upgrades works fine for FL Studio, no? Did you just suggest that they are not "anyone with a common sense" ?
If continually charging for software wasn't a better business model for Reason Studios compared to a "one-time charge and you get everything for free forever" business model, why do you think Propellerhead (now Reason Studios) ever adopted such a business model to begin with? ;)

I'll wait.
selling specific versions directly for a set price is certainly the most common way to stay profitable, but it’s hardly the only way. personally, I’d be surprised if they went totally free, but they wouldn’t even be the first major DAW to do so, if they did.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

esselfortium

26 Jan 2021

The FL Studio free-updates-for-life model is great if you want the developers to have to focus even more on flashy but redundant plugins to continually target more and more new users with. If you're tired of Reason Studios putting out rack extensions you don't care about, the FL Studio model would be a great way to get even more of what you already don't want.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I am trying to interpret his statement, not to project my opinion on it. ;)
Isn't your opinion derived from how you are interpreting it? ;)
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
You may or may not be aware that Reason Studios (formerly known as Propellerheads) is under new leadership. ;) It is not uncommon that companies change strategies when CEOs change. A new CEO will often have a different view on what the best strategy is. Business environments also change. What worked years ago may not work today ;)
Oh there's no doubt that strategies changed since the new CEO took over. But I will absolutely guarantee you that they will not exit the business of selling software anytime soon, whether it's through upgrades or other means. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Oh there's no doubt that strategies changed since the new CEO took over. But I will absolutely guarantee you that they will not exit the business of selling software anytime soon, whether it's through upgrades or other means. ;)
I know that you know a lot about RS and Reason, but your personal guarantee is worth little to me.

Regardless, I can only repeat: I do not think they will stop selling software. All I have said is that there may be business models that the new CEO believes are the best choice that do not involve paid full version upgrades. This leaves a lot of room for selling new licenses, selling Rack extensions, making the entire software subscription and so on.

I am not even saying that I think this is the most likely outcome! I am just saying it is possible.

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

esselfortium wrote:
26 Jan 2021
The FL Studio free-updates-for-life model is great if you want the developers to have to focus even more on flashy but redundant plugins to continually target more and more new users with. If you're tired of Reason Studios putting out rack extensions you don't care about, the FL Studio model would be a great way to get even more of what you already don't want.
That would be bad... I wouldn't like it. I think there is confusion here about what I think is possible and what I would like to see. I would like to pay for Reason 12, with HighDPI and hopefully full apple M1 support down the road.

Creativemind

26 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
26 Jan 2021

Yes I would, then who turns up at the door...
So long as it's not ulrika jonsson!
https://images.app.goo.gl/BDzeK7ZN2NZMeRin8
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Aosta

26 Jan 2021

Well, I will be leaving the announcement stream if it's
A subscription service
A tutorial service
Integrated video
Online music collaboration
Allihoopa v2
A free yellow mug with the next upgrade.
Tend the flame

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

Aosta wrote:
26 Jan 2021
A subscription service
A tutorial service
Integrated video
Allihoopa v2
If it is an orange mug, I will stay on. Otherwise agree.

Billy+

26 Jan 2021

Ahh that's better, back to speculation

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

why do so many people seem to assume there’s some sort of tutorial subscription coming here? most people don’t care much for the tutorial window (and have said so), and I don’t recall RS making much of a big deal about it in the first place. they barely mentioned it, AFAIR, and it would be hella weird for them to tease something that boring, days in advance, and even go so far as to give it its own special name.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

KGB

26 Jan 2021

TrueStory wrote:
26 Jan 2021
If anything we should be getting a Piano Roll + which is long overdue. A complete overhaul of the piano roll allowing you to set custom scales on it would be super.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It has to be in the next update...

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
26 Jan 2021
why do so many people seem to assume there’s some sort of tutorial subscription coming here? most people don’t care much for the tutorial window (and have said so), and I don’t recall RS making much of a big deal about it in the first place. they barely mentioned it, AFAIR, and it would be hella weird for them to tease something that boring, days in advance, and even go so far as to give it its own special name.
I am assuming it will be something bigger, because the CEO will be there. Anything smaller, Ryan could do on his own, or maybe with Mattias. Maybe I am reading too much into this fact, though.

Billy+

26 Jan 2021

Only 20 hours to go

rgdaniel

26 Jan 2021

Whoever said VSTs are disappearing from the shop, I'm seeing that too. Only on the main shop page is "VST" listed as an option under Format, but no actual VSTs are found, and that disappears as an option in deeper pages. All of my shop-purchased VSTs (a very small handful) link to 404 page when I click "view product page". So maybe [insert rampant speculation here]...?

Billy+

26 Jan 2021

rgdaniel wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Whoever said VSTs are disappearing from the shop, I'm seeing that too. Only on the main shop page is "VST" listed as an option under Format, but no actual VSTs are found, and that disappears as an option in deeper pages. All of my shop-purchased VSTs (a very small handful) link to 404 page when I click "view product page". So maybe [insert rampant speculation here]...?
I spotted it a few hours ago :exclamation:

ab459

26 Jan 2021

Aosta wrote:
26 Jan 2021
A subscription service
A tutorial service
Integrated video
Allihoopa v2
A neural pumping

EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I know that you know a lot about RS and Reason, but your personal guarantee is worth little to me.
Even if there's a money back guarantee? :puf_bigsmile:
stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Regardless, I can only repeat: I do not think they will stop selling software. All I have said is that there may be business models that the new CEO believes are the best choice that do not involve paid full version upgrades. This leaves a lot of room for selling new licenses, selling Rack extensions, making the entire software subscription and so on.

I am not even saying that I think this is the most likely outcome! I am just saying it is possible.
If there's anything we can agree on, it's that there will be something new announced tomorrow that will certainly be sold at a cost to the user. I still don't think paid upgrades are going away, though. :thumbs_up:

Billy+

26 Jan 2021

Anyone remember this happening:- https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... aintenance

The Tutorial section in Reason is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance

7 months ago Updated

Due to maintenance of our back-end systems the Tutorial area to the right in the Reason song window is temporarily unavailable.

We are working hard to fix this issue and hope to have the Tutorial area up and running shortly.

We're really sorry for the inconvenience!

stp2015

26 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021
If there's anything we can agree on, it's that there will be something new announced tomorrow that will certainly be sold at a cost to the user. I still don't think paid upgrades are going away, though. :thumbs_up:
Definitely agree with this smallest common denominator :lol: :D

EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Definitely agree with this smallest common denominator :lol: :D
Progress! :clap: :lol:

OverneathTheSkyBridg

26 Jan 2021

The more I think about what this "Companion" is the more I think its a mobile app, like Figure and Take. The word speaks to me as something that physically comes along with you. Probably for sketching ideas that you can bring into Reason directly, like a simplified sequencer.

Billy+

26 Jan 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
26 Jan 2021
The more I think about what this "Companion" is the more I think its a mobile app, like Figure and Take. The word speaks to me as something that physically comes along with you. Probably for sketching ideas that you can bring into Reason directly, like a simplified sequencer.
How would it be started by Reason on your desktop system?

The option in preferences clearly gives the option to start companion when Reason launches

Cap10NRG

26 Jan 2021

I have a hypothesis regarding Reason+ and Companion... Now if my guess is correct, I have no inside knowledge officially, it just seems right to me...

First - we are about due for an update to Reason - so that is probably part of it... But my thought and I could be way off base, but I am wondering if it is some kind of touch interface situation - possibly the iPad --- or possibly my suggestion that I sent in... The idea was that since virtual machines tend to eat up a lot of processing power maybe have a way to load up some virtual effects / synths on a second machine and connect them to your core reason app, like you would do in a render farm. My concept was something I was calling "side car"... But I guess we'll see what happens...

• Information