CEO's 2021 review

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dvdrtldg

21 Dec 2021

Jesus f christ you guys. The CEO made a joke. Irritating perhaps, tone deaf for sure. But for fuck's sake, is there nothing you lot won't get butthurt and offended by? This forum is getting worse than the Waves group on Facebook, and that's saying something

guitfnky

21 Dec 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Jesus f christ you guys. The CEO made a joke. Irritating perhaps, tone deaf for sure. But for fuck's sake, is there nothing you lot won't get butthurt and offended by? This forum is getting worse than the Waves group on Facebook, and that's saying something
y so butthurt, yo?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Kuranes2021

21 Dec 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I'm butthurt, because unlike that CEO, i work my butt off in healthcare. And it is well known that the past two years have been particularly exhausting (in fact, it made me sick). I don't expect any thanks for my money, which I have entrusted to Reason studios for many years. But I don't expect to be ridiculed for this either. That makes you bitter...

Loque

21 Dec 2021

Guys, mind your language.

Thanks.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

Kuranes2021 wrote:
21 Dec 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Sorry, but I don't exactly get the connection between Jiggery's and my post.

Would be nice if you could elaborate.

I’m just enjoying the show. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

challism

21 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021

These are some great seats. Thanks for saving me one. Pass the popcorn.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

For me 2021 has been a year with very mixed emotions when it comes to the Reason world.

I do think RS has released some good and interesting devices, especially Algoritm. I've also rediscovered some of their older instruments: Europa, Grain, Parsec. And I've come to appreciate those even more than before. They're all great and a good reminder that RS are very capable of making fun, awesome, easy to use yet deep devices.
I do also like that RS is trying to be a bit more transparent and more active here on RT, engaging with us users. James presence is a good example.

That's where the good emotions come from.

The bad emotions has been regarding where RS are heading as a company. I absolutely hated the idea of subscribing when they first launched R+. And their never ending pursuit to push it down our throats has made that feeling even stronger. After all their constant nagging about R+ I'll never subscribe. If nothing else, out of spite. Pretty childish I know, but that's where it's gotten I'm afraid. It's like we get it, you have a subscription, great, now can you please just shut up about it.

Like many others have already expressed, their choice to neglect the "perpetuals" has left a sour taste in my mouth. And there's some bitterness around that for sure. The CEOs "joke" that everyone is talking about here didn't land very well because of how the perpetuals have been treated lately. I mean you can't treat someone like crap and then make a joke at their expense and expect that to go over well.

Also the whole R12 release was a complete mess. I lost a lot of trust in them due to their decision to sell a clearly unfinished product, without warning the buyer. I found that very disrespectful and dishonest to their customers.
So yeah there's been both good and bad, but for me unfortunately 2021 has been the year where I felt more negative emotions than good whenever the words Reason Studios have come up. And that's a new one for me.

Anyway that's my "2021 - year in review". Merry Christmas everyone.

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Dec 2021

scotward57

22 Dec 2021

I thought it was a good read. Not as offended by R+ since the 50% off sale seems to occur more than once a year. 2022 is going to be a good year for R12, especially once VST3 and M1 support get added. And it should get as close to bug free as any other past version of Reason got too.

And maybe 2022 is the year where the whiners who are consistently unhappy with Reason's sequencer will finally discover something like Ableton, Logic, Cubase, etc. RRP integrates super well as a plugin device.

Arrant
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

I think it's been an absolutely terrible year for Reason Studios. Bad timing of the R+ launch, releasing R12 too early, and worst of all the combination of the two: Lots of new potential customers wanting to try the platform only to be forced onto the most buggy Reason ever released. Talk about missed opportunities.
Worse, they have managed to alienate many of the 3rd party devs by hiding the shop, as well as losing or at least losing money on some of their actual whale customers, people who like to spend in said shop and have a history of using more than the subscription cost per year anyway.

Let's hope they get their act together for 2022.

Kuranes2021

22 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Kuranes2021 wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Sorry, but I don't exactly get the connection between Jiggery's and my post.

Would be nice if you could elaborate.
I'm sorry when my posts turned out to be overly dramatic. Yesterday was no good day for me. I guess I'm just frustrated about the course something take, that provided me relief from a world that is in serious trouble. Take care, stay safe, and merry Christmas

challism

22 Dec 2021

Kuranes2021 wrote:
22 Dec 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I'm sorry when my posts turned out to be overly dramatic. Yesterday was no good day for me. I guess I'm just frustrated about the course something take, that provided me relief from a world that is in serious trouble. Take care, stay safe, and merry Christmas
Completely understandable. Many of us are concerned about the direction and future of this DAW we all love.

Merry Christmas to you, too.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

scotward57

22 Dec 2021

Arrant wrote:
22 Dec 2021
I think it's been an absolutely terrible year for Reason Studios. Bad timing of the R+ launch, releasing R12 too early, and worst of all the combination of the two: Lots of new potential customers wanting to try the platform only to be forced onto the most buggy Reason ever released. Talk about missed opportunities.
Worse, they have managed to alienate many of the 3rd party devs by hiding the shop, as well as losing or at least losing money on some of their actual whale customers, people who like to spend in said shop and have a history of using more than the subscription cost per year anyway.

Let's hope they get their act together for 2022.
I felt exactly as you did just a few weeks ago. But once I became an R+ subscriber, I now understand why Reason Studios chose the route they did. The rack extensions, Rewire, REX files, Remote and other Reason proprietary technologies are slowly getting faded out. Like it or not, fewer customers are going to need or want Reason as a standalone tool. Sure there will always be a main sequencer and such, but it's not going to be something that new customers are going to be drawn to.

Believe me, I hated the idea of this direction. But getting Logic Pro helped me recognize what Reason Studios really excels at and I don't worry so much about what the sequencer can't do. Instead, it's going to be about the rack experience, combinator programming and sound packs. Will that be enough for you?

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

I wondered if he meant that subscribers outnumber perpetual users now but only the ceo knows what he meant or if it was a joke.
As a perpetual but a perpetual not on 12 I am probably dead to rs anyhow so am just going to forget this and continue to use reason to make music. Can understand how some feel about this though and can't see how stating it in this way benefits anyone.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

Hej CEO...you reading this??
RS staff? If you see the CEO and he's not reading this can you please ask him to.
Thanks.
Oh and thanks again for R+. Future development and all that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Tiny Montgomery

22 Dec 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Hard agree :clap:

Funny how everyone missed the joke he made about subscription services: "And on top of that, believe it or not, there are actual real people who prefer to subscribe over buying. In fact, we’re pretty sure about that because we confirmed it with both of them before launching Reason+. "
I think the tone is fine generally. I used to edit comms for a very well known company and may have worded that bit that upset everybody slightly differently but it really wasn't that bad.

What's bad is that there are grammatical mistakes still in it e.g. "Why did it" should be "Why do it", Im sure there's more but im not copy editing for free!

Tinnitus

22 Dec 2021

Have to agree I don't think the joke was bad, it's just that many of us are sensitive of being forced down a subscription road.

I notice he didn't make other more obvious jokes.

How about something along the lines of " We feel your resistance to a subscription model so with the recent upgrade price rises, we've made the decision a bit easier for you?"

Would that get more laughs I wonder? :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

Tinnitus wrote:
22 Dec 2021
Have to agree I don't think the joke was bad, it's just that many of us are sensitive of being forced down a subscription road.

I notice he didn't make other more obvious jokes.

How about something along the lines of " We feel your resistance to a subscription model so with the recent upgrade price rises, we've made the decision a bit easier for you?"

Would that get more laughs I wonder? :)
That is actually much funnier.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carrick

22 Dec 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Dec 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Hard agree :clap:

Funny how everyone missed the joke he made about subscription services: "And on top of that, believe it or not, there are actual real people who prefer to subscribe over buying. In fact, we’re pretty sure about that because we confirmed it with both of them before launching Reason+. "
I think the tone is fine generally. I used to edit comms for a very well known company and may have worded that bit that upset everybody slightly differently but it really wasn't that bad.

What's bad is that there are grammatical mistakes still in it e.g. "Why did it" should be "Why do it", Im sure there's more but im not copy editing for free!
Oh, i didn't miss the "joke", i actually mentioned it in my post earlier in this thread, so i suppose most people got it, when they read the CEO's statement.

The thing is, it just doesn't feel like a joke at all. To be able to make fun of customers usually requires a certain reputation and connection to your customers, which to be fair are both nowhere near as good as they were before the start of R+ or the problems with R12. Also you have to consider the recent marketing moves which ignored/annoyed exactly those same customers which are now being made fun of. This combination just doesn't work imho, it would obviously be a different matter if R12 would have been a more finished product, with all the promised features etc. well but that didn't happen. I actually doubt Niklas would shop at a store where the owner would constantly make of him or try to aggressively force him to rent some stuff instead of selling him what he would rather have.

Btw. i'm talking only about the CEO here, the other people at RS have nothing to do with his statement as far as i'm concerned.

dvdrtldg

22 Dec 2021

MrFigg wrote:
22 Dec 2021
RS staff? If you see the CEO and he's not reading this can you please ask him to.
Why would he bother? I'm pretty sure this forum represents a minuscule fraction of the Reason user base. He'd be paying attention to sales figures, not a tiny bunch of bedwetters on the internet

Tiny Montgomery

22 Dec 2021

I think the mistake some people make on this forum is that their software bugs or gripes with the company are shared widely because they have one or two allies here that adopt a similar attitude. What you forget is that people on here are a small self selected group of users and your specific concerns are likely not widely shared beyond this board.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Dec 2021
MrFigg wrote:
22 Dec 2021
Why would he bother?
There’s the problem in a nutshell.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

22 Dec 2021

love the dismissive apologists. "it doesn't bother me, so it shouldn't bother you." is there a more juvenile perspective one could have? herp a derp.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

6track

22 Dec 2021

I am the holder of the perpetual license 12.
I looked at how much I gave to Reason Studios this year:

RE: 108 $
Upgrade: 199 $.

Why is Reason Studios asking to thank Reason + users and not me?
Last edited by 6track on 22 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Dec 2021
love the dismissive apologists. "it doesn't bother me, so it shouldn't bother you." is there a more juvenile perspective one could have? herp a derp.
The insult to injury comes when the "dismissive apologists" then go on to accuse those who are bothered of whining.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information