What have you been listening to?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
crimsonwarlock

16 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
15 Jul 2023
Genesis no and Rush never in a million years :) .
Heresy I say, absolute heresy :o

Rush is my absolute number one, closely followed by Saga, also from Canada :puf_bigsmile:

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

plaamook

16 Jul 2023

Dunno how many classical Indian fans are out there but this raga slams so had at the end...it's one of three that I know of that afterwards I can't listen to anything else for a few min because it's just too complete.

Side note...if you aren't familiar with ragas generally...don't just try to skip to the end because it won't make sense. They don't work like that.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

robussc

16 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Jul 2023

Rush is my absolute number one, closely followed by Saga, also from Canada :puf_bigsmile:
Haha, I could listen to maybe 30 seconds of that and had to stop. Just not my thing at all. It would be fun to see some music mind maps for people here. I guess prog rock would be on the periphery for me.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

dvdrtldg

17 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Jul 2023
robussc wrote:
15 Jul 2023
It’s amazing how wildly prog swings between great and terrible. I sometimes listen to an internet radio station called Krautrock World, they play a lot of 70s prog (not just German) and it’s some of the the best & the worst music I’ve ever heard in my life. I can’t stand Genesis, but in recent years I’ve come around to Rush

crimsonwarlock

17 Jul 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jul 2023
It’s amazing how wildly prog swings between great and terrible. I sometimes listen to an internet radio station called Krautrock World, they play a lot of 70s prog (not just German) and it’s some of the the best & the worst music I’ve ever heard in my life. I can’t stand Genesis, but in recent years I’ve come around to Rush
Rush is an acquired taste, I admit. I got introduced to them during the Power Windows album. It took a while for me, too, to warm to their earlier material. But I do have their full catalog on CD and it's one of my prize possessions :puf_wink:

Most people know Genesis from their singles that got into the charts and got a lot of airplay. I don't have a problem with those songs, but it's definitely not progrock. Their older work, however, is up there with the best tmo. When Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett left the band, they took the prog with them.

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

rorystorm

17 Jul 2023

went and got my hair cut today. Here's a life tip, if you have a beard, go to Middle Eastern barber. Seriously, the guy I saw today is the product of several millennia of beard trimming technique. I look fg great. When my ancestors were living in caves and getting all excited about the fact they put a handprint on the cave wall, his were building palaces and I dunno, inventing inventing taxes and cuneiform writing and irrigation and civilisation.

Anyway, he was also playing this absolutely wild Syrian pop music from, I think, the 60s? There was one track that had a pipe organ solo and a section stolen straight from I Danced All Night from My Fair Lady. I couldn't tell you what any of it was but a bit of a youtube search turned this up which is pretty representative although apparently from Lebanon.

rorystorm

17 Jul 2023

and THEN I went to the supermarket and they were playing the Lemonheads. All in all a very strange day musically.

dvdrtldg

17 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Jul 2023

Most people know Genesis from their singles that got into the charts and got a lot of airplay. I don't have a problem with those songs, but it's definitely not progrock. Their older work, however, is up there with the best tmo. When Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett left the band, they took the prog with them.
Back in the day, the first one of my mates to get a car was a huge prog fan. So there was a period of time where if we went anywhere, it was in his car. And if we were in his car, we listened to his music. High rotation albums included Foxtrot and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. He was also heavily into Yes, as well as stuff like Jethro Tull’s A Passion Play. It was a difficult time

crimsonwarlock

17 Jul 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Jul 2023
He was also heavily into Yes...
My feelings about Yes should be clear from the info under my username :puf_bigsmile:

But I know that, as a rock-oriented musician, I'm in the minority here :lol:
-------

jappe

17 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
15 Jul 2023
Challism, you shock me! Such eclectic tastes and yet TD is a new discovery?! Tangram was a life changing album for me. Bought it at a record store around 1980 based on the cover alone (IIRC :) )

https://youtu.be/iQpAJUZeIAY

The intro sequence took me on a journey I’ve never returned from.
I've had plenty blind spots throughout the years too. It's fun to eventually find those gems hidden in plain sight.
I found TD in the 80's, stunned by the electronic soundscapes.
Tangram was one of my favorites since then.
I got to see them live a few times before Edgar Froese passed; Shepherds Bush Empire, Franziskanerkirche, Tempodrom, Tivoli.

They're still on tour:
https://www.tangerinedreammusic.com/en/ ... /index.asp

selig
RE Developer

18 Jul 2023

fullforce wrote:
15 Jul 2023
Can we agree that this is the new Beck?

CTE - Local boys made good! My buddy recorded their first record (with No Rest for the Wicked) in his basement studio. I remember meeting them and loving the energy during that session (I was just a visitor on that project). This track is a classic IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

dvdrtldg

19 Jul 2023

fullforce wrote:
15 Jul 2023
Can we agree that this is the new Beck?
Too soon. Didn't we only just get rid of the old Beck?

rorystorm

19 Jul 2023

just listened to the new PJ Harvey album. The songs mostly don't have much of a melody and seems to start in the middle and finish before they're supposed to, her singing is, kindly, out of tune, a lot, you can't hear most of the lyrics and what you can hear is either about farm animals or quotes from old Elvis songs, there's a bunch of samples that don't make any sense in the context they're used in, and really it's a mess.

And also a completely heartbreaking work of genius and she is amazing.

fullforce

19 Jul 2023

rorystorm wrote:
19 Jul 2023
just listened to the new PJ Harvey album. The songs mostly don't have much of a melody and seems to start in the middle and finish before they're supposed to, her singing is, kindly, out of tune, a lot, you can't hear most of the lyrics and what you can hear is either about farm animals or quotes from old Elvis songs, there's a bunch of samples that don't make any sense in the context they're used in, and really it's a mess.

And also a completely heartbreaking work of genius and she is amazing.
That sounds interesting.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Neo

19 Jul 2023

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

crimsonwarlock

31 Jul 2023

-------

choomanching

31 Jul 2023

a lot of synthwave actually prism and wolf club i really like lately

muckmclane

05 Aug 2023

Aosta

05 Aug 2023

Tend the flame

robussc

06 Aug 2023

Just relistened to Blondie’s Eat to the Beat from 1979 (for the first time since the 80s!) and it seems like a real step backwards from the song writing and production excellence of Parallel Lines. The songs are weak (for the most part) and the production makes it sound like it was recorded in the studio bathroom, really hollow/boxy reverb.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI6k ... C7oBBMbj5p
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

dvdrtldg

06 Aug 2023

robussc wrote:
06 Aug 2023
Just relistened to Blondie’s Eat to the Beat from 1979 (for the first time since the 80s!) and it seems like a real step backwards from the song writing and production excellence of Parallel Lines. The songs are weak (for the most part) and the production makes it sound like it was recorded in the studio bathroom, really hollow/boxy reverb.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI6k ... C7oBBMbj5p
Yep, I love Blondie but have never really loved that album and the production is a big part of the problem. To my ears, it anticipates a really bad period in music production generally. People can be very nostalgic about the 80s and certain 80s sounds (gated reverb on the snare!) but I spent a good part of the 80s wondering what the fuck was happening in studios to make everything sound so weak and flat and tinny. There are quite a few 80s bands that I feel I should like, but can't get past their horrible-sounding recordings (e.g. The Smiths)

rorystorm

07 Aug 2023

Playing a lovely dub techno record

rorystorm

08 Aug 2023

And then this, a fantastic compilation of artists from my old home town of Dunedin in New Zealand. I'm quite honored to be on it.

http://www.otepotimusic.com/2023/08/dun ... 8L04As&m=1

miyaru

08 Aug 2023

For the sake and love of 90ties music.....
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

miyaru

08 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Jul 2023
robussc wrote:
15 Jul 2023

(
For me, technally, the best band in the world is Rush too, seen them once in Rotterdam 2004 with the R30 tour, by far the best I have ever seen….
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

• Information