Windows 10 compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PGR

29 Jul 2015

Is there any compatibility information for Reason and Windows 10 from Propellerheads? Should we upgrade today?

raymondh

29 Jul 2015

I would recommend against it until Propellerhead and the manufacturer of your audio card have both endorsed Windows 10.

EnochLight

29 Jul 2015

No official statement from Propellerhead yet, as they typically don't test new OS until the OS in question goes retail. That said, I haven't had any trouble on Win 10 with Reason or Balance. Been running for several weeks now.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Morphic1977

29 Jul 2015

EnochLight wrote:No official statement from Propellerhead yet, as they typically don't test new OS until the OS in question goes retail. That said, I haven't had any trouble on Win 10 with Reason or Balance. Been running for several weeks now.

Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear that even Balance works fine on Win 10.
I have question to Reason`s performance on Win 10. Have you noticed any performance improvments on Win 10 when using Reason ? The system should be more polished and faster, that is why I ask about Reason and Win 10.
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

freeQlow

29 Jul 2015

I have a PC at the office and a 2nd tower strictly for Music.
I'm thinking about giving 10 a go. Ive heard really good things about it.

I also heard that the people who participated in Beta can get it today, not us who did not beta.
Anyone know if this is true?

I would most likely update Friday or Saturday, if I can.
I can give some feedback asap.

EnochLight

29 Jul 2015

Morphic1977 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:No official statement from Propellerhead yet, as they typically don't test new OS until the OS in question goes retail. That said, I haven't had any trouble on Win 10 with Reason or Balance. Been running for several weeks now.
Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear that even Balance works fine on Win 10.
I have question to Reason`s performance on Win 10. Have you noticed any performance improvments on Win 10 when using Reason ? The system should be more polished and faster, that is why I ask about Reason and Win 10.
I've found no noticeable difference in performance between Win 8.1 and Win 10 for my machine.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

29 Jul 2015

I forgot all about it :lol:

I didn't reserve a copy. I guess there is a force download method, I'm only going to do it on my older computer.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2015

I checked and found my Focusrite Saffire is going to be ok but I guess the old M-Audio Axiom 49's drivers are unlikely to be updated.
Fortunately all of my guitars are guaranteed to work :).

Grum.

absynth50

29 Jul 2015

M-audio are unlikely to update drivers until hell freezes over, It's a fairly dreadful company for customer support, axiom air anyone :)

kitekrazy

29 Jul 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:I checked and found my Focusrite Saffire is going to be ok but I guess the old M-Audio Axiom 49's drivers are unlikely to be updated.

Grum.
W7 drivers will work. My FW410, AP192 work in Windows 10.

kitekrazy

29 Jul 2015

absynth50 wrote:M-audio are unlikely to update drivers until hell freezes over, It's a fairly dreadful company for customer support, axiom air anyone :)
That's why I will never own an M-Audio product.

absynth50

29 Jul 2015

kitekrazy wrote:
absynth50 wrote:M-audio are unlikely to update drivers until hell freezes over, It's a fairly dreadful company for customer support, axiom air anyone :)
I don't blame you, sadly I upgraded from an oxygen to a axiom air a few years ago! Possibly the worst decision I've made, I find m-audio customers service repulsive. Well it's a lesson learnt I guess

pjeudy

29 Jul 2015

absynth50 wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
I don't blame you, sadly I upgraded from an oxygen to a axiom air a few years ago! Possibly the worst decision I've made, I find m-audio customers service repulsive. Well it's a lesson learnt I guess
Same here I have an Oxygen 49 ..That I dislike with a passion...will never ever buy anything M-Audio...and yea..I'm saying NEVER!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

hydlide

29 Jul 2015

warning: side tracking here...

I never had any issues regarding the M-Audio Radium 49 nor M-Audio Axiom 61 in my cases. They seem nice to blend with Reason and I can personally reprogram them using it with Reason.

So I am curious (since i have seen pushedbutton on the chatroom fiddling with his M-Audio device / eg struggle with customer support). So I am kind of curious on what your beef is with m-audio products and using this with Reason.

Please note: I am not associated with m-audio in general, I just find it odd that when I pick up an M-Audio device I get it to work in an instance while others have a hard time fiddling around with manuals and all that. So this post is in a state of mind of "curiosity" only.

tronam

29 Jul 2015

The bottom two keyboard keys are the only ones working anymore on my Axiom 49 and that was after less than 2 years of light use never leaving my studio's keyboard stand. The knobs on my previous Oxygen "froze" solid and will no longer rotate. My anecdotal perception feels like M-Audio's quality overall has deteriorated over the past 5 years, especially as competition in the MIDI controller market has heated up forcing everyone into a "price race to the bottom". My next controller will probably be a Novation SL MKii or Nektar Panorama. Though more expensive, they seem to have implemented higher quality keybeds. I'm willing to pay more for something that'll last and with better support behind it.
Last edited by tronam on 29 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

TheGodOfRainbows

29 Jul 2015

I'm also curious about the m-audio complaints. I've had the oxygen25 for a while and had no trouble with it fortunately. But I don't doubt that some people do.

Iapetus 9

29 Jul 2015

I too have never had a prob with MAudio. In fact I have an old Ozone that has outlived 4 other keyboards...including a Korg Kontrol 49. Still running strong, although the pots could use a good cleaning.
38L > 51D every time.

Gaja

30 Jul 2015

That's because it's owned by Avid, which is a horrible company when it comes to service, or hardware quality (not all is bad, but I've had several bad experiences with MBox, 003 Rack, I/O 96), or support of third party applications (like with the S3 which is said to be supported by all third party DAWs, but doesn't even functionally support controlling via mackie protocol).
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ostermilk

30 Jul 2015

PGR wrote:Is there any compatibility information for Reason and Windows 10 from Propellerheads? Should we upgrade today?
I've got a sneaking suspision that 8.3 is more in tune with Windows 10 than it is with any earlier version. Devs such as the Props will have been using the latest build tools and frameworks which would have all been '10 aware' for quite some time.

I've been running Reason on a dual boot since some fairly early Insider preview 10 builds and it hasn't put a foot wrong as yet. Audio drivers may well be another issue. I'm using a Roland I/F and there isn't an official driver for that as yet but I cheated the 8.1 installer for that and apart from the installer it works fine.

So you might want hold off until your ancilliary equipment becomes 10 compliant and not because Reason might be an issue. It isn't AFAICT.

Hence we've ungraded two laptops here already but my main 'Studio PC' is still running W7 as it ain't broke, although I'm running 10 on a dual boot alongside my primary 7 partition in order to cautiously move toward the direction of W10 at my leisure.

Ostermilk

30 Jul 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:I checked and found my Focusrite Saffire is going to be ok but I guess the old M-Audio Axiom 49's drivers are unlikely to be updated.

Grum.
My guitars still don't work even under Windows 10 due to ongoing operator issues.

kitekrazy

30 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:
That's because it's owned by Avid, which is a horrible company when it comes to service, or hardware quality (not all is bad, but I've had several bad experiences with MBox, 003 Rack, I/O 96), or support of third party applications (like with the S3 which is said to be supported by all third party DAWs, but doesn't even functionally support controlling via mackie protocol).
They are not owned by Avid. At least Avid has better driver support. If I could do it over again I would buy RME products. It's rare for their hardware to become doorstops.

absynth50

30 Jul 2015

hydlide wrote:warning: side tracking here...

I never had any issues regarding the M-Audio Radium 49 nor M-Audio Axiom 61 in my cases. They seem nice to blend with Reason and I can personally reprogram them using it with Reason.

So I am curious (since i have seen pushedbutton on the chatroom fiddling with his M-Audio device / eg struggle with customer support). So I am kind of curious on what your beef is with m-audio products and using this with Reason.

Please note: I am not associated with m-audio in general, I just find it odd that when I pick up an M-Audio device I get it to work in an instance while others have a hard time fiddling around with manuals and all that. So this post is in a state of mind of "curiosity" only.
Ive got an oxygen and in fairness it just worked with reason no issues it's a cheap and cheerful device

the axiom air however uses hypercontrol, m Audio haven't developed the remote file mapping for the air and reason. The latest version of axiom air has been around almost two years! there are a number of complaints with its comparability with reason and other daws

The dials on the air are crazy, 1-127 might happen in a flash or take an age, again something they have failed to address via firmware etc
Their customer service is dreadful,

Gaja

30 Jul 2015

kitekrazy wrote:
Gaja wrote:
They are not owned by Avid. At least Avid has better driver support. If I could do it over again I would buy RME products. It's rare for their hardware to become doorstops.
Well according to wikipedia they do. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Audio
And Avid might or might not have better driver support, I don't own any M-Audio products, so I couldn't compare. I was just associating, because I know Avid to be lazy when it comes to anything (software or hardware) they don't own. So what they do care about is M-Audio products working with Pro Tools, what they don't care about is M-Audio working with Reason. Sorry for bringing this thread off topic. Back to Windows 10.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:

Grum.
My guitars still don't work even under Windows 10 due to ongoing operator issues.
Ha ha :)

I bought a Line 6 JTV-89F (the blood red one) last week - what a brilliant bit of kit. If you just read what it can do there's a temptation to cry "bullshit" but if you actually use it you find it does everything they claim it does - and is bloody good at it!

Grum.

JackRussell

30 Jul 2015

So I took the plunge and upgraded my Win 8.1 music production laptop to Windows 10. All I can say is that everything went smoothly. Didn't feel like doing a clean install as the lappy is pretty new and well maintained. If things don't work out one can always revert to the old system so I just did it.

After de-authorizing and authorizing - No clean install but thought I'd do it anyway- Reason 8.3 works. As does Ableton Live 9, as does Adobe Audition 2015. Even the Waves 9 plugins work and every other vendor I tested so far.
The Audio Interface is an Avid M-Audio Fast Track C400 and this is what I dreaded the most, being Avid AND M-audio together (!) But it works flawlessly as well.

Did all the usual tweaks like I did with Windows 8.1 without any problems. Under the hood their pretty much the same. I do notice some speed improvements (start up and feel in general) and ASIO works just like it did before. (Obviously as that's not a MS thing). I didn't try WDM, WASAPI, what not, because I've never used these. Playing audio from Winamp worked fine too with MS's propriety drivers. My little Akai LPK25 USB keyboard works like it should. No problems there either.

So that's it for Win 10 and Audio for now. I liked 8.1 as I did 7 but so far Win 10 looks like a win. I still have a month to revert back to 8.1 but I will most likely not.
Hope this will help anyone who's ready to try.

BTO (Clevo) Laptop: i7 4710MQ, 2 SSD's, 1 HDD, 16Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 860M (no problems here either with the latest driver)
illegitimi non carborundum 

• Information