Clipping? "Don't worry bout it".

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Stranger.

21 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 05 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Spryx

21 Feb 2016

i'd love to read this...but man, that gif....
latest:

MannequinRaces

21 Feb 2016

Spryx wrote:i'd love to read this...but man, that gif....
It is a bit much, lol. Just scroll down until you don't see it anymore.

pushedbutton

22 Feb 2016

I see it more like an informal agreement that 0 is the point at which the neighbours will get off their ass to come round and complain if they are constantly exposed to it. Sometimes you just want to piss the neighbours off though.
As with most thing it's all very well breaking the rules but you can't do it properly unless you understand what rules you're breaking. The only problem with saying don't worry about it is that it implies that nothing is to be gained by turning your speakers up and your channels down. I look at it like making a cake, if you fill the bowl with flower you won't have any room for sugar.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2016

Stranger. wrote:Image

Here's why--
With audio we use what's considered a zero point -0db-.
Since :re:ason is using 32bfp channel mixing and 64bfp summing at the master section,this allows overs...lots of overs (over 0db.)

So,what does that mean to most people?? probably not much,but using 32/64bit is quite different than 24bit.
Try this for yourself..
1.Make a mix,or a cunningly created song/track/piece of music.. label it what you like.... :)
2.Make that mix/song lovely creation- have a highest peak at 0db. All's good,dayym yr pretty good,but it's not over.. yet.
3.(Turn down master fader,or unplug IO from back before you do this next step if your playing it back!!)
Now add gain..as much clip gain,input gain,and fader and master gain as allowed on the mixer,and audio clip/s,so all your meters are "going through the roof!! clipping like crayazeeeeee!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO! :(" . Do it.
4.Make another audio track,set master section to be recorded,and bounce master section.

5.Focus on this track-mute everything else.
6.Audio should* look a scrambled clipping' mess..but here's where clip levels/volume work.
7.Pull down the newly recorded clip's level,back to 0db @ your master output,and your totally GOLDEN+good to go!. (The amount you have to pull down,is how much you were 'over' at the master section)

Any extra mastering house/mastering tool/engineer/producer can now polish a clean signal,hopefully with really nice "peaks-dynamic range" to work with.

8.Try this with 24bit exports... see the differences.

The main point/thing/tip here could be--focus on the mix rather than worry about clipping all the time-- it's really peaks v dynamic range/RMS which is giving louder/more balanced final outputs.

As long as user is working inside :re:ason clipping is ok,but i would never export a 24bit file exceeding 0db,because it can not really be :re:paired later,where as,32 or 64bits can.

Crack on.
As some wise guy said. "don' wurry bout it". :thumbs_up:
Apples to oranges, my friend. IMO, of course!

Problem is, everything you hear is 24 bit, so it will sound clipped (because it will be clipped) - and it's difficult at best to make crucial mix decisions listening to a clipped mix IMO. So you DO have to 'worry about it', right?

While it is true you can't clip INSIDE of Reason, it's also true you can't listen to your audio signal except for OUTSIDE of Reason. Which means you MUST pay attention to FINAL levels at all times. What IS true is that at one level it doesn't matter where you adjust levels, as long as the final output is below 0 dBFS. You can pull down the master fader, you can adjust the Master Compressor's Makeup Gain, you could adjust gain on any devices in the master insert, you could lower all faders feeding the mix bus in the mixer, you could turn down all Input Gain knobs in the mixer, you could turn clip gain down and turn down the master volumes on all instruments - you get the idea. BUT, each time you change levels UPSTREAM of a dynamics device (compressor/gate/saturation/distortion/etc) you will have to make another adjustment on the dynamics device to restore the original effect - so best to do one of two things: always adjust final levels at the very END of the entire signal path (e.g., just before the Hardware Interface in Reason), OR adopt a peak reference level for all tracks and forget about it (my approach).

Either way, it's the final output level that matters, and I just don't see how you can ignore this reality as you work. Best to keep levels below clipping (as you do when recording audio tracks) with enough headroom so you really CAN "not worry about it". Hopefully I've simply misunderstood your point, which seems to be to "not worry about all that clipping going on with your mix"! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

23 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 05 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

23 Feb 2016

Stranger. wrote:
selig wrote:Either way, it's the final output level that matters, and I just don't see how you can ignore this reality as you work. ..
That's the point of making sure export is done without clipping,i certainly do not ignore it at all.
Point is-it's safe to clip to mega levels using :re:ason-- it just does not export a 'safe' 32bfp.
*Waiting*.
Not following you here - but my point is that every time you hit play, you are hearing the same thing that would be "exported", clipping and all. There's no way to not hear clipping, so there's no way to "ignore" it when mixing… maybe I'm somehow missing something here, but I can't think of a situation where clipping would be easy/possible to ignore even if you're bouncing 32 bit internally back into Reason.

Sure, if you bounce internally, you CAN get rid of the clipping you're hearing as you suggest, at a later point in time. But my point is, in the mean time how do you get past listening to the clipped mix while bouncing? How do you make any meaningful mix decisions? And why do this in the first place?
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information