Is SoundCloud going down? Why no donate button on their site?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
HepCat

15 Feb 2017

Having recently opened a SoundCloud account, l hear they may be closing down soon. The corner where l'm at is full of hustlers and hoes as l don't have a following of actual people (l don't want one either).

- Is SoundCloud really closing down?
- Why didn't they put a donate button on their site?
- Why don't they let ppl sell their tracks on SoundCloud?
- Where to now? Bandcamp?
- Anybody earn money from Bandcamp?

deepndark

15 Feb 2017

Wasn't there already a thread asking the same?

ejanuska

15 Feb 2017

deepndark wrote:Wasn't there already a thread asking the same?
Yeah, The Soundcloud hookers thread had this discussion going on in it.

The demise of Soundcloud's is rumor and speculation for now. They've been able to get money in the past, they have a huge user base. They'll either sell it to someone or get more funding.

HepCat

15 Feb 2017

Well ... l had a few other questions in the OP - like, does Bandcamp give you money (l mean, in your own experience, does it give you much money?).

I thought the hookers thread was just about hookers.

ejanuska

16 Feb 2017

You can get money from Bandcamp, if someone purchases your music.
I doubt they would let you sell music but not collect some of the proceeds from the sale.

I don't think a donate button would help them much.

As far as selling music there goes, I doubt they want any money flow going to anyone except SC.

deepndark

16 Feb 2017

I am old-schoolish and like soundclick.com more than soundcloud. And I could sell music via soundclick any time. + you can upload as many songs you want even with a free account. I went VIP for certain extra features like more proffessional layout. But for selling my music I use distrokid i.e. your music goes to spotify, Itunes etc.

ejanuska

16 Feb 2017

deepndark wrote:I am old-schoolish and like soundclick.com more than soundcloud. And I could sell music via soundclick any time. + you can upload as many songs you want even with a free account. I went VIP for certain extra features like more proffessional layout. But for selling my music I use distrokid i.e. your music goes to spotify, Itunes etc.
Checking out Soundclick, it wasn't very visually satisfying. They need to step up their web page UI visual game, get rid of the banner ads.
If by some chance SoundCloud bites the dust, they'll be right there.

Out of curiosity, What do you have to do to become a featured artist?

deepndark

16 Feb 2017

ejanuska wrote:
deepndark wrote:I am old-schoolish and like soundclick.com more than soundcloud. And I could sell music via soundclick any time. + you can upload as many songs you want even with a free account. I went VIP for certain extra features like more proffessional layout. But for selling my music I use distrokid i.e. your music goes to spotify, Itunes etc.
Checking out Soundclick, it wasn't very visually satisfying. They need to step up their web page UI visual game, get rid of the banner ads.
If by some chance SoundCloud bites the dust, they'll be right there.

Out of curiosity, What do you have to do to become a featured artist?
You can use some of the advertising services they offer. These cost money but if you want some more promotion you can have some. I agree that soundclick could do a new innovative look. But soundcloud doesn't float my boat either. I feel like soundcloud is a site for all the synth demos. Haha!

ejanuska

16 Feb 2017

deepndark wrote:
You can use some of the advertising services they offer. These cost money but if you want some more promotion you can have some. I agree that soundclick could do a new innovative look. But soundcloud doesn't float my boat either. I feel like soundcloud is a site for all the synth demos. Haha!
There is a lot of that, but there are some good channels that do a little curating also.

deepndark

16 Feb 2017

I'd like a site to be more artistic and deep/mystical. Lots of musicians are also making visual art and like philosophy etc. I can see there is a slot for these kind of things but no site for it.

kuhliloach

16 Feb 2017

I support Bandcamp, yes it makes lots of money, and yes SoundCloud deserves to come to an end. Bandcamp represents the future of music distribution. Middle-men and record labels were once needed for a musician to sell their work. This is no longer the case.

ejanuska

16 Feb 2017

Maybe its better now, but bandcamp didn't have widgets and some other niceties I wanted when incorporating them into websites or facebook pages. At the same time Soundcloud widgets were much easier to use, and they worked.
I also think Bandcamp has a lot of work to do in terms of brand recognition. Soundcloud has an edge here. One reason, IMO, is has been too easy to use Soundcloud widgets and links to embed, where Bandcamp had some issues. Also the Bandcamp Android app was a mess a couple years ago, Soundclouds app worked fine.
Maybe it's better now, I don't know, regardless Soundcloud is ubiquitous in the music world, I don't think Bandcamp can say the same, no matter how much better their platform may be. Another issue, support for devices like chromecast, does Bandcamp have this? Soundcloud does.
I'm going to DL the Bandcamp app again and see if I can find my favorite SC artists there.

Koncide

16 Feb 2017

I've noticed recently that the amount of annoying-as-fuck ads on Soundcloud has gone through the roof. Someone is paying for these ads so I can imagine Soundcloud's revenue has jumped through the roof recently.

That being said, online services are notorious for being short lived and unstable. If Soundcloud ever disappeared it would be the end of an era for sure and I'd probably miss it (ads aside), but it might be for the best.
Ambient garage vibes.

ejanuska

16 Feb 2017

Koncide wrote:I've noticed recently that the amount of annoying-as-fuck ads on Soundcloud has gone through the roof. Someone is paying for these ads so I can imagine Soundcloud's revenue has jumped through the roof recently.

That being said, online services are notorious for being short lived and unstable. If Soundcloud ever disappeared it would be the end of an era for sure and I'd probably miss it (ads aside), but it might be for the best.
I'm not trying to fan-boy on SC but I've been listening to it (unpaid) exclusively for months. Never heard one ad. I guess it depends on who you listen to.

• Information