Novation Impulse 25 ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
swayzak

24 Dec 2017

Hello

My old M Audio O2 does not seem to work very well (notes ok but no CC data getting into Reason 10), so I am looking for a newer portable controller.

I'm a keyboardist so semi-weighted keys would be preferable. The Novation Impulse 25 seems like a good option..

Is there built in support for this model in Reason (e.g. premapping) ? I can't see it listed on Props website.

Does any one have experience with this model ?

There are alternatives but I am finding it tricky to make a decision !

wireless

24 Dec 2017

Hi swayzak.
I'm a great fan of the value you get from M Audio. I currently use two controllers - M Audio 61 (circa £75), and the Oxygen 25 (circa £105). The former is just a great all-round 'players' keyboard, but the smaller device is obviously more portable, plus it's loaded with buttons and knobs that I can map to Reason. Both are USB but the former also has midi.

Must have had the larger keyboard for 10+ years and the smaller one for about 3 years.
M Audio 61.jpg
M Audio 61.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Attachments
M Audio Oxygen 25.jpg
M Audio Oxygen 25.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

wireless

24 Dec 2017

Sorry - got the pricing backwards; larger price for larger keyboard.....

botnotbot

24 Dec 2017

I sold my Impulse 25 a long while ago. It's really big for what it offers. Automap is an interesting idea in theory but completely useless in practice. I would go with one of their LaunchKeys if I were to go with Novation. The 25 key from Nektar is pretty great too.

In general you won't find amazing piano action in a 25 key anything as pianists will generally turn their nose up at anything less than 6 octaves.

Edit: Sorry, re read the OP and realized that you are looking for semi weighted, not "pianist grade". I don't think there was much difference between the Impulse and the Nektar Impact keys, but I never compared them side by side. If you have the space then the Impulse was a fine keybed.

swayzak

24 Dec 2017

Thanks

Isn't the Nektar synth keys, not semi-weighted ?

mreese80

24 Dec 2017

swayzak wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Hello

My old M Audio O2 does not seem to work very well (notes ok but no CC data getting into Reason 10), so I am looking for a newer portable controller.

I'm a keyboardist so semi-weighted keys would be preferable. The Novation Impulse 25 seems like a good option..

Is there built in support for this model in Reason (e.g. premapping) ? I can't see it listed on Props website.

I have the impulse 49. I love. works fine with reason. no complaints here
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

swayzak

24 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote:
24 Dec 2017
swayzak wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Hello

I have the impulse 49. I love. works fine with reason. no complaints here
Thanks - is it automatically mapped in Reason ?

Catblack

24 Dec 2017

You may want to try using the Automap remotemap at http://www.reasonremoter.uk/

Zip up and delete your old Automap remotemap file to archive it, Reason may pick it up if you just rename it.

Automap is pretty unique in how it handles controls -- basically if it's in the Remotemap file Automap can get the remotable control's name. Which is why the updated remotemap above is so awesome.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

botnotbot

24 Dec 2017

swayzak wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Thanks

Isn't the Nektar synth keys, not semi-weighted ?
You are right that they are not semi-weighted. However they are not the kind of super flimsy synth action I've found on Arturia or my Yamaha YS200 either, so I guess they lie in between somewhere.

I should point out that I didn't use Reason at the time, so perhaps the Automap works a lot better than my experiences with it!

Gorgon

25 Dec 2017

I would take Novation over M-Audio any day. I have that Oxygen 25 pictured above, and if I had known that you can't even remap the drumpads I would have gotten something else. I hardly ever use it.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information