Recommend me an audio interface.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
platzangst

14 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
14 Feb 2023
Most interfaces have a switch for using guitar/pickups instruments, so any option will likely be a bit of an upgrade from your current setup I would imagine!
You might be surprised! The X-Fi always handled whatever signal I could put into its phono input.

On the one hand, sure, any newer device is going to have a certain amount of improvement over an earlier (by nearly 20 years?) device, but dang if this thing wasn't just perfect for me for ages.

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2023

platzangst wrote:
14 Feb 2023
selig wrote:
14 Feb 2023
Most interfaces have a switch for using guitar/pickups instruments, so any option will likely be a bit of an upgrade from your current setup I would imagine!
You might be surprised! The X-Fi always handled whatever signal I could put into its phono input.

On the one hand, sure, any newer device is going to have a certain amount of improvement over an earlier (by nearly 20 years?) device, but dang if this thing wasn't just perfect for me for ages.
If you listen to the difference between how a line input vs a guitar input sounds, YOU might be surprised! ;)
I’m not meaning to say a line input doesn’t work, I’m meaning to say it won’t sound as much like what a guitar plugged into an amp would sound like. It may not matter for the sounds you’re going for, but there is a difference. And that difference is the reason most gear these days has the “hi-z” inputs from computer interfaces to mic preamps including my old Mackie mixer from the 1990s! Of my current gear, my Focusrite Clarett 2Pre, Zoom L20 mixer, UA 6176, LA-610, and both Apollo interfaces ALL have hi-z input options on them.
Selig Audio, LLC

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2023

thanks for the opinions, i'm only ever going to be recording external synths, not guitars or vocals or even drum machines. maybe something like the MOTU 8A is more appropriate. luckily i don't need to make any rushed decisions

Edit: the SSL12 is pretty attractive too at almost half the price of the MOTU 8A
Last edited by Bes on 14 Feb 2023, edited 1 time in total.
- Certified Reason expert

MuttReason

14 Feb 2023

Focusrite always a solid choice. Arturia Audiofuse range also very good. Both brands offer options from simple and small interfaces through to big and more complex options. I’m also a UAD fan but haven’t used their Volt range.

Key thing is these interfaces work best over USB 3 (although it’s possible to use a USB 2 connection) so OP should make sure computer has a spare USB 3 port if possible. Also bear in mind that audio interfaces usually don’t play nice if they’re connected via a USB hub instead of directly into a computer USB port.

RobC

17 Feb 2023

Here's the review index of ASR

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... s/Reviews/

And today I found bhphotovideo.com that had info about every interface I was curious about so far.

moalla

17 Feb 2023

Of soundappeal motu 828x or rme ucx2 1k interfaces, but if i see whats monitor speakers are mostly used by a lot of forum users a behringer hd404 is okay :lol
As well Audient ID line ADC/DAC are really nice, owned a ID14 still gave it as gift to my brother (almost comparable with my fireface UC), but died beside some other usb stuff after 3,5years continous usage, because of a humidity broken usb keyboard connected to his gaming /streaming pc, replaced with ID14 mk2 what still is in continous usage since two years. So ID44 mk2 2adat/2adat out maybe interesting, well driver support, good quality, their Evo line has much lower quality.

Presonus has also a worse driver lifetime support, Focusrite support is better, but it looks crazy how often they updated their product lines, how cheap used they are sold at ebay....

Maudio/ Inmusic, interfaces today are total junk don´t buy these please, forgive me I won´t hurt someones feelings here
I just gave a cheap m-audio C400 toy, for 20€ to a young guy for his first steps.... compared with a NI Audio Kontrol1 from 2007 sound weak as hell, tested on M-Audio BX5 speakers.....

I saw the OP just knows what he want´s, the Motu 8A seems perfect, ADA8200 beside zack 16 channels

1. 1k RME/MOTU/UAD
2. 500-800 Arturia/Audient/Focusrite
3 300-500 -ESI/UAD economy /Behringer/SSL economy/Presonus/old Native Instruments stuff
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

moalla

18 Feb 2023

Anyway, can we trust consumer stuff reviews, mostly not, as well consumer reviews at audioshops, anyway not the holy grail of experience....
For example i´ve got a mackie profx10 v3 some months after release in europe where no professional reviewed it, first i was dissapointed, with it.After all this little mixer with ios compatible device records sounds is really well better than most cheap interfaces, only the eq´s and pre´s are weaker compared with a similiar sized A&H zed10 mixer. Maybe you will give a mackie Onyx 16 a chance, the latency of their stuff are amazing and it´s compatible with pc/mac/ios/linux, well build quality.
Real professional starts with A&H Zed 16-22 and RME/Motu 8/16A at the inserts.
my review https://gearspace.com/board/reviews/139 ... 10-v3.html
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

RobC

18 Feb 2023

I already have the Topping E30 II DAC and the L30 II Headphone Amp. These cover the best-case human hearing, and are top-notch little devices. They ran for 150 EUR each.

Now, since I have no RME money at the moment, I'll have to settle with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo - because I have nothing else to record my Rode NT1 microphone with, by now. It's said that the headphone amp is bad (irrelevant for me, cause I said I have a perfect one), but the rest, especially the microphone in and ADC are alright. So I guess that will do well for the time being. I think, it has ~102 dB SINAD for the XLR input (anything ~116 dB is top notch).

• Information