Reason 8.3 Official Public Test Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Midi select from the rack is slick. Now, they need to add it to where the same thing will arm audio if it's an audio track :)  
That's exactly how it works! 
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

synaptyx

17 Jun 2015

skatebird wrote:Just make sure you don't work on (resave)your "real" songs in the test builds, as they won't open in Reason 8.2, and there is a tiny risk we might change the song format for 8.3 so they won't open in 8.3 release builds.
AUGH!!! Please don't! I've already saved at least 3 projects in the beta. Yes, I know I am dumb, but I didn't know I couldn't take them back into Reason 8.2 until I read this thread. Please let me retain the ability to read these projects in the release version! :frown:  

Since Reason 1

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2015

skatebird wrote:Just make sure you don't work on (resave)your "real" songs in the test builds, as they won't open in Reason 8.2, and there is a tiny risk we might change the song format for 8.3 so they won't open in 8.3 release builds.
synaptyx wrote:
AUGH!!! Please don't! I've already saved at least 3 projects in the beta. Yes, I know I am dumb, but I didn't know I couldn't take them back into Reason 8.2 until I read this thread. Please let me retain the ability to read these projects in the release version! :frown:  
There has never been a version of Reason that could open newer files in an older version, so it's always best to assume this is NOT the case in the future. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

synaptyx

17 Jun 2015

selig wrote:There has never been a version of Reason that could open newer files in an older version, so it's always best to assume this is NOT the case in the future. :)
Well, now I know. Doh! Thanks for the headsup. I guess I'll try to curb my enthusiasm in future and skip the beta testing. I really don't want to lose these projects. :frown:

Since Reason 1

jfrichards

17 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Midi select from the rack is slick. Now, they need to add it to where the same thing will arm audio if it's an audio track :)  
selig wrote:That's exactly how it works!  :)
Wow, that is super useful, especially with my sustain pedal mapped to the Record button!  Composing/editing multiple guitar tracks is so fast.

Gaja

17 Jun 2015

selig wrote:There has never been a version of Reason that could open newer files in an older version, so it's always best to assume this is NOT the case in the future. :)
synaptyx wrote:Well, now I know. Doh! Thanks for the headsup. I guess I'll try to curb my enthusiasm in future and skip the beta testing. I really don't want to lose these projects. :frown:
Well you could always bounce stems, so you have that at least. But there is also a good chance that you can open your songs in the 8.3 release version. Note skatebird said a *tiny* risk. I have been able to open beta files most of the time.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

skatebird

17 Jun 2015

synaptyx wrote:Well, now I know. Doh! Thanks for the headsup. I guess I'll try to curb my enthusiasm in future and skip the beta testing. I really don't want to lose these projects. :frown:
Please don't :) Your songs will with 99% certainty be able to open in the 8.3 release version. The only risk if we find a bug that forces us to change the song format for 8.3. And I would say that risk is quite small.
I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it. - John Cage

devilfish

17 Jun 2015

Is it possible to send the Midi Clock to all available Midi Buses ???

Is there a new Combinator ?

What is about the manual Delay compensation (+\- knob) in every Mixerchannel ??

Ohh.. Where is NOTE TO TRACK FOR RE's????

joeyluck

17 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:Is it possible to send the Midi Clock to all available Midi Buses ??? Is there a new Combinator ? What is about the manual Delay compensation (+\- knob) in every Mixerchannel ?? Ohh.. Where is NOTE TO TRACK FOR RE's????
There's a new browser though with Reason 8... You've had your turn =P

Lunesis

17 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:Is it possible to send the Midi Clock to all available Midi Buses ??? Is there a new Combinator ? What is about the manual Delay compensation (+\- knob) in every Mixerchannel ?? Ohh.. Where is NOTE TO TRACK FOR RE's????
This is a thread for feedback on the Reason 8.3 beta, not a feature request thread.

Feature request is here: http://www.reasontalk.com/?forum=414620

If anybody attempts to derail this I will ban you.

ahs

18 Jun 2015

@skatebird
why is in mkII the damping in LF only 20 and going to OFF ?

apostrophedave

18 Jun 2015

these are great improvements. should make it way easier using reason on dual monitors now with the new browser, and being able to change focus without needing to have the sequencer open. great work.

i know its too late for new features but hopefully there be an option for MIDI focus in file menu at some stage? similar to "Go to Track"? it would mean we could focus on the selected device by using a keyboard shortcut instead of the mouse

PeterProp

18 Jun 2015

We have pushed new builds to the PublicTesting channel.
This time we have also released non-logging(optimized full speed) versions for you to try! This version should be as fast as the normal 8.2 version.
Please test with this version. If you discover something, then you can try to reproduce the bug in the logging version to get logs.
You need to download the non-logging version, auto-update will only update logging version to the new logging version!

See:
https://www.propellerheads.se/testing/Reason830/

Fixlist Reason 8.3 d72 -> d78 and Essentials d43 -> d46):
  • New authorizer 2.8.1d3 (better disk full handling)
  • RV7000: Fixed three minor Remote output bugs
  • Case 321677: Essentials: can't drop NN19 patches on NNXT
  • Case 322966: After the info panel is folded the browser scrollbar does not disappear
  • Case 322921: Tool Window: Weird German localization for "Extract Notes to Lanes"...
Don't forget to send your bug reports to [url=mailto:reason83@propellerheads.se]reason83@propellerheads.se[/url]!

Happy testing!

/ Peter

jfrichards

18 Jun 2015

ahs wrote:@skatebird
why is in mkII the damping in LF only 20 and going to OFF ?
turn it the other way too.

synaptyx

18 Jun 2015

skatebird wrote:Please don't :) Your songs will with 99% certainty be able to open in the 8.3 release version. The only risk if we find a bug that forces us to change the song format for 8.3. And I would say that risk is quite small.
Thanks! Feeling more positive, today! :)

Since Reason 1

Exowildebeest

18 Jun 2015

It's almost no fun beta testing if there are so few bugs to be found :frown: :D

PeterProp

18 Jun 2015

Sorry, we will try to write more crappy software for the next release...
Exowildebeest wrote:It's almost no fun beta testing if there are so few bugs to be found :frown: :D

tiker01

18 Jun 2015

PeterProp wrote:Sorry, we will try to write more crappy software for the next release...
Exowildebeest wrote:It's almost no fun beta testing if there are so few bugs to be found :frown: :D

:D :D :D :D

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

jfrichards

18 Jun 2015

Might I suggest advertising the MIDI focus rack selection for devices as also being microphone/guitar input selection for audio recording (thanks Giles).  From the 8.3 test instructions:

Attachments
midi_focus_change.png
midi_focus_change.png (60.59 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

joeyluck

18 Jun 2015

jfrichards wrote:Might I suggest advertising the MIDI focus rack selection for devices as also being microphone/guitar input selection for audio recording (thanks Giles).  From the 8.3 test instructions:

Good point. Should say "Set MIDI/Audio Input focus from the rack."
Haven't tried this with audio yet, but sounds very handy :)

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2015

jfrichards wrote:Might I suggest advertising the MIDI focus rack selection for devices as also being microphone/guitar input selection for audio recording (thanks Giles).  From the 8.3 test instructions:

joeyluck wrote:
Good point. Should say "Set MIDI/Audio Input focus from the rack."
Haven't tried this with audio yet, but sounds very handy :)
Technically speaking it should say "SELECT the Audio/MIDI track from the Rack", since that's really all it's doing (unless it also creates a track, in cases where one does not already exist). So naturally, all consequences of selecting a track also apply when selecting from the rack, which include arming audio tracks for recording (cause that's what happens when you select them). 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

20 Jun 2015

hehe, I was actually going to say thanks to everyone who is being so diligent. I've found almost nothing (the one that may be a deal I sent a ticket over, but it was probably just me) 

gak

20 Jun 2015

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I dunno if they tweaked it in the last build or if it was there.......but I can't thank the props enough for this. It's just SO brilliant!

jfrichards

20 Jun 2015

A little note on using the MIDI focus selection in the rack for audio tracks.  You have to select the Audio Track itself, not the amp or effect that you're using.  If you select the amp or effect, it will set MIDI focus onto the device and create a track for the device, like for automation.  This is not a bad thing, just good to keep in mind.  For example, if you select your guitar amp and hit Record, it will not record your guitar, but only changes and automation of the amp controls.

If you are recording guitar audio and wah pedal movement, make sure you arm both in the sequencer.  If you use the rack MIDI focus method, it will only arm one or the other, never both (Props would have to add shift-select for such a thing in the rack and that would add another set of problems).

Also, if you arm the wah recording in the sequencer, subsequent rack MIDI arming of other devices or tracks will disarm it.

kitekrazy

20 Jun 2015

I'm late to the game messing with this. Am I missing something?  Detaching Mixer and Rack Window only hide them. I see Props icon for Mixer and Rack in the quick launch bar but they do nothing.

This problem is only happening on 1 system. 

I'm not sure what this Browse where you are actually does.

"Call up Reason’s browser from where you work! The new browser introduced in Reason 8 offers a vastly improved workflow, but was previously only accessible from the main window. After feedback from users who use Reason with the rack in a detached window, you can now access the browser there as well."

Not sure that's working on all systems... If you have a separate Mixer Window, right click gives you what to add to the mixer. Is that what they mean?

It would be nice if they posted a video on these new features so I can see what they do.  Image Line is great for this.

• Information