F*cking VST - Reason Crash

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
devilfish

08 Jul 2017

only used Drumazon (D16) & CODEX (Waves)

Result after a preset change in Codex: Reason shut down..

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
crash.jpg
crash.jpg (870.56 KiB) Viewed 5230 times

Loque

08 Jul 2017

Welcome to VST World...
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

08 Jul 2017

Well, that's what thirdparty will do. :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pjeudy

08 Jul 2017

While I sympathies with devilfish.... A VST crashing a DAW . What are we learning here that we didn't know for a decade?
How about a thread regarding successful/working VST installations?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ljekio

08 Jul 2017

Sometimes after crash VST Reason.exe remain in started processes and irremovable from task manager.

Oquasec

08 Jul 2017

Well, leave that "send usage statistics" thing checked. I use RE/Uhe most of the time so I don't know what to say to help ya trouble shoot a new integrated wrapper module for a new set of plugins.
Producer/Programmer.

jonheal

08 Jul 2017

If some of the posts I've seen on other forums are true, even Reaper's iron-clad VST sandbox does not entirely protect it from VST crashes spilling over to mangle the host.

To the collective sirs/ma'ams who clamored for VSTs in Reason, and are now sad because it no worky perfectly; deal with it. C'est la vie, as the Frenchies, say.

I'm a pretty loving guy, but I can't muster much sympathy on this issue, I'm afraid.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Oquasec

08 Jul 2017

Yep. a fragmented format will never be 100% on the level as proprietary. Just how it is.
Which is why I even bothered to learn the reason modules inside & out and most of their wire gymnastics and why you still see people bothering with protools.
Producer/Programmer.

demt

09 Jul 2017

r cmon give it a month at least before cursing it my stuffs all settling down and the dsp is back to normal say nice things about it like good hippies
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

demt

09 Jul 2017

r cmon give it a month at least before cursing it my stuffs all settling down and the dsp is back to normal say nice things about it like good hippies
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Oquasec

09 Jul 2017

Lmao it does sound like it's anti vstland in the comment section right now, but honestly...it really doesn't matter.
Use the plugins you have a blast using and you all good. [Who'd complain about another utility format with a hardware workflow?]
Uhe & RE got my vote :P
Producer/Programmer.

tronam

09 Jul 2017

While using other programs like Live, Cubase and Logic I've found that some VSTs are simply more crash prone than others. For example, in all the years I've been using it I can't remember a single time U-He Zebra has triggered a DAW crash and this has been mostly true for Spectrasonics' plug-ins too, although Omnisphere has managed to dump me to the desktop on several occasions. On the other hand, I've managed to crash all DAWs countless times with Kontakt and any combination of UAD plug-ins. Cubase has a long and glorious history of randoly evaporating to the desktop without much rhyme or reason; You must learn to save often with that DAW.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

ltbrunt00

10 Jul 2017

VST crashes is a thing, get over it. I get crashes in Studio one and Bitwig. Studio one crashes more than Reason or Bitwig. Bitwig handles VST crashes the best. VST crashes in Bitwig never brings down the entire DAW. So far I have only had two VST crashes in Reason. Studio one seems to just crash for no apparent reason when loading up VSTs. Studio one does have a automatic save function you can enable that may save you some headache when it does crash.

I may be a good idea to open a blank reason project and just start opening all your VST plugins and try different combinations.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

tumar

10 Jul 2017

Loque wrote:
08 Jul 2017
Welcome to VST World...
Yes and no. I have Studio One (highest version), never had any single crash with Native Instruments vsts. Reason 9.5.1 crashes every time I close NI Kontakt (no matter it has library loaded or just clear rack).

SA Studio

10 Jul 2017

Loque wrote:
08 Jul 2017
Welcome to VST World...
Pretty sure professionals would disagree with that.

More like "Welcome to Reason having an issue with one particular product".

That is a much more factual way to consider the matter, in my opinion. Much more. The entire professional music production community uses and has used VST's for years. If there were massive issues, the format wouldn't have been the main format since 2006.

jonheal

10 Jul 2017

SA Studio wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Loque wrote:
08 Jul 2017
Welcome to VST World...

That is a much more factual way to consider the matter, in my opinion. Much more. The entire professional music production community uses and has used VST's for years. If there were massive issues, the format wouldn't have been the main format since 2006.
I know you are a pro user, Anthony, and a Studio One or Reaper user, if I remember correctly. I am curious — and only curious for the sake of conversation — but have you used VSTs in Reason enough to get a feel for how stable they are vs. the same VSTs used in the other hosts you use?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

SA Studio

12 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
10 Jul 2017
SA Studio wrote:
10 Jul 2017

I know you are a pro user, Anthony, and a Studio One or Reaper user, if I remember correctly. I am curious — and only curious for the sake of conversation — but have you used VSTs in Reason enough to get a feel for how stable they are vs. the same VSTs used in the other hosts you use?
S1 is a great program, but I'm mostly a Reaper user, aside from Reason. I know I have between 5 and 6000 hours using Reaper and Reason isn't too far behind. I think my experiences so far have involved too many JBridged plugs to really give a great answer to your question. When using JBridged plugs, export times for one sang can exceed 10 minutes. The JBridge certainly isnt perfect, that's for sure, so more issue lies with that. However, I know for absolute positive I cannot get the same, or even 30%, of the same level of production as far as track counts and active VST's in Reason as I can in Reaper on the same exact hardware.

When I see replies above, "Welcome to VST", as if to say it's a bad thing, it's really telling that that person needs to really open their eyes. Or, be happy living with Reason as it once was and not use VST, but someone sounds very ignorant when they try to talk down the VST format or even call it "crappy".

We saw what eventually happened there. What myself and many others were saying for years finally happened: They finally added VST when market analysis revealed excatly how far RE's could go combined with selling Reason to an investment company.

I made a video the other day of 100 audio tracks in Reaper with 55 active VST's and another 20 that were inactive. Reason cannot get near that, currently. This was a song I was mixing for a record label.

Reason needs immense attention to the core code that has been having things added to it since the Reason 4 to Reason 5 era. Putting the software on the playground with the rest of the big kids easily shows this. It needs a serious round of code optimization that will FINALLY need to get paid for instead of just tacking things on. Pro Tools has offered higher tracks counts and better DSP on the same hardware the last few versions.

Has "Higher Track counts and better DSP" ever been a big part of a Reason update? No. No it never has. Not on the same lines as any other other - simple "improved performance" claims are not the same thing. The Reason software simply needs some attention to the core.

djs

02 Jan 2019

Sidenote- removing Reason effects on the VST appears to have prevented the program from crashing. Suggest utilizing the effects inside the VST module.

chimp_spanner

02 Jan 2019

I mean, what can ya do - I get crashes in Cubase and Steinberg *invented* VST. Every developer can't plan for every possible combination of hardware and software, much as they try. Of course I hope there's a solution for you with this plugin. It'd be interesting to see if other users of it can replicate the issue. All the more data for PH support to go off ya know?

changnoi

03 Jan 2019

Would i be right in summarising R10 + vst = beware, forget the hype and only believes when its shown to work

In other words only go for a free dl first trial and if it floats your boat then pay up gladly

chimp_spanner

03 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
03 Jan 2019
Would i be right in summarising R10 + vst = beware, forget the hype and only believes when its shown to work

In other words only go for a free dl first trial and if it floats your boat then pay up gladly
I'd say always demo where you can anyway. Or if that's not an option, check the refunds policy from the vendor. Some will happily return your money (mostly ones that use online authorisation) within a period of a week or two.

• Information