Silly me thinking i could use Selig Gain as a mixer channel. I love the peak level display.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

24 Dec 2017

I guess it's not possible. Reason seriously needs to add that digital read out to there mixer channels. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

selig
RE Developer

24 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote:I guess it's not possible. Reason seriously needs to add that digital read out to there mixer channels. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Did you want to build a new mixer using only Selig Gain? It’s possible, though I’m not sure the advantage. There would be no sends, no EQ, no dynamics, no inserts, etc.

If you mean putting a Selig Gain in each channel insert, that’s totally doable.

But what I do is to use one Selig Gain and move it (Shift/Drag) from place to place when I need to check levels. Once your levels are set, you don’t need to keep seeing them unless you make significant changes.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do?
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

24 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2017
mreese80 wrote:I guess it's not possible. Reason seriously needs to add that digital read out to there mixer channels. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Did you want to build a new mixer using only Selig Gain? It’s possible, though I’m not sure the advantage. There would be no sends, no EQ, no dynamics, no inserts, etc.

But what I do is to use one Selig Gain and move it (Shift/Drag) from place to place when I need to check levels. Once your levels are set, you don’t need to keep seeing them unless you make significant changes.

I emailed you this morning. I love the peak level read out. I just want that on the mixer channels. If i adjust the volume on reasons mixer channel with sg as a insert effect, the peak level doesnt change even though the volume does. But if i adjust sg's volume slider, the peak level changes. SG wont change the volume slider in the mixer if im in the mixer. Thats why i would love to have Selig Gain as a mixer channel. It may be confusing. Forgive me. Its just something i want lol. Reason just needs to add peak hold levels to the mixer channel in a digital readout like yours is all. Sorry for the confusion. Awesome device by the way
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

selig
RE Developer

24 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote:
24 Dec 2017
selig wrote:
24 Dec 2017

I emailed you this morning. I love the peak level read out. I just want that on the mixer channels. If i adjust the volume on reasons mixer channel with sg as a insert effect, the peak level doesnt change even though the volume does. But if i adjust sg's volume slider, the peak level changes. SG wont change the volume slider in the mixer if im in the mixer. Thats why i would love to have Selig Gain as a mixer channel. It may be confusing. Forgive me. Its just something i want lol. Reason just needs to add peak hold levels to the mixer channel in a digital readout like yours is all. Sorry for the confusion. Awesome device by the way
Hi - got your email but there was no reply address, so I answered here!

What you are asking for is "post fader" peak level meters, which I don't use because I don't care what the post-fader gain is (read on for clarification).

What I DO care about is the gain at EVERY point before the fader (and the bus levels after the fader). I already know the level after the fader - It's my reference level (-12 dBFS) MINUS the level of the fader (assuming it's below zero). So if the fader is at - 6 dB, then my peak level is -18 dBFS - easy! Hope that made sense - feel free to ask further questions if I wasn't clear or left something out.

That's just one of the advantages of adopting a peak reference level as 'best practices' when working in digital audio, BTW.
Selig Audio, LLC

amcjen

24 Dec 2017

I never cease to be amazed at the things I learn from Selig. :)

mreese80

25 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2017
mreese80 wrote:
24 Dec 2017

Hi - got your email but there was no reply address, so I answered here!

What you are asking for is "post fader" peak level meters, which I don't use because I don't care what the post-fader gain is (read on for clarification).

What I DO care about is the gain at EVERY point before the fader (and the bus levels after the fader). I already know the level after the fader - It's my reference level (-12 dBFS) MINUS the level of the fader (assuming it's below zero). So if the fader is at - 6 dB, then my peak level is -18 dBFS - easy! Hope that made sense - feel free to ask further questions if I wasn't clear or left something out.

That's just one of the advantages of adopting a peak reference level as 'best practices' when working in digital audio, BTW.
I thought it would show my email. I was in such a hurry. And thanks for your response and info. It would be nice if you make a mixer channel with Selig Gain features, lol.

selig
RE Developer

25 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote: I thought it would show my email. I was in such a hurry. And thanks for your response and info. It would be nice if you make a mixer channel with Selig Gain features, lol.
Even if I did, it would have the same limitations as Selig Gain - just curious, what features would you like to see on such a mixer channel and how would you use it in Reason?

Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

25 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
25 Dec 2017
mreese80 wrote: I thought it would show my email. I was in such a hurry. And thanks for your response and info. It would be nice if you make a mixer channel with Selig Gain features, lol.
Even if I did, it would have the same limitations as Selig Gain - just curious, what features would you like to see on such a mixer channel and how would you use it in Reason?

The same features as the regular mixer channel,, but with the addition of peak level meter in a digital read-out is all. (example +3.0) It's no big deal, i could use selig gain on the master effects and solo each track, but i don't want to be doing all that. I want it right in my face. It's just a way i do things. Maybe be pointless to you and others but my workflow is mine lol. I can just use klanghelm and pin it since its a vst. But Selig Gain is the best RE in reason in my opinion man.

selig
RE Developer

25 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote:
selig wrote:
25 Dec 2017

The same features as the regular mixer channel,, but with the addition of peak level meter in a digital read-out is all. (example +3.0) It's no big deal, i could use selig gain on the master effects and solo each track, but i don't want to be doing all that. I want it right in my face. It's just a way i do things. Maybe be pointless to you and others but my workflow is mine lol. I can just use klanghelm and pin it since its a vst. But Selig Gain is the best RE in reason in my opinion man.
I guess the point I was making is that if you use Selig Gain in the Insert on a channel, you get what you want if you don’t mind doing simple subtraction.

BTW, post fader peak levels will change with automation, which makes it less useful. My other point was that pre-fader gain is more useful since it shows you the level that matters with regards to everything upstream from the fader, and the master (or bus) level is the only thing that matters after the fader, which can easily be metered in the insert of the bus or master fader. See what I mean?

Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

25 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
25 Dec 2017
mreese80 wrote:
I guess the point I was making is that if you use Selig Gain in the Insert on a channel, you get what you want if you don’t mind doing simple subtraction.

BTW, post fader peak levels will change with automation, which makes it less useful. My other point was that pre-fader gain is more useful since it shows you the level that matters with regards to everything upstream from the fader, and the master (or bus) level is the only thing that matters after the fader, which can easily be metered in the insert of the bus or master fader. See what I mean?

I hear what you're saying but i don't think you're understanding what i'm saying. It's okay man. I'll just use my work around for this but it's something props should add. Just like they let up group all mixer tracks and bring them all down at once. Take care :)

MusicianX

26 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
25 Dec 2017
mreese80 wrote:

This may be a silly question but does reason default to post fader readings? If so how do you get it to pre fader?

selig
RE Developer

27 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote:
selig wrote:
25 Dec 2017

I hear what you're saying but i don't think you're understanding what i'm saying. It's okay man. I'll just use my work around for this but it's something props should add. Just like they let up group all mixer tracks and bring them all down at once. Take care :)
I’m definitely willing to listen. I thought you wanted post fader peak/hold metering (because it’s the only thing not possible with Selig Gain on a single channel) - was I wrong?

If not, then it can do what you want! If so, then I’m honestly curious why? I’ve learned a lot more from folks who think differently than I do than from folks who think like me…

Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

27 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
27 Dec 2017
If not, then it can do what you want! If so, then I’m honestly curious why?
I think what the OP's asking for is a simple, numerical level read-out on the mix hannel, so that he doesn't have to 'guess' it from the bar jumping up & down / left & right against a vague scale + the fact that channel's levels are in VU, rather than Peak which could be more useful. I too was struggling at the beginning to grasp why a channel at 0dB shows -8dB on the Master...

mreese80

27 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
27 Dec 2017
selig wrote:
27 Dec 2017
If not, then it can do what you want! If so, then I’m honestly curious why?
I think what the OP's asking for is a simple, numerical level read-out on the mix hannel, so that he doesn't have to 'guess' it from the bar jumping up & down / left & right against a vague scale + the fact that channel's levels are in VU, rather than Peak which could be more useful. I too was struggling at the beginning to grasp why a channel at 0dB shows -8dB on the Master...
Bingo. You nailed it man. :thumbs_up: :D

antic604

27 Dec 2017

mreese80 wrote:
27 Dec 2017
antic604 wrote:
27 Dec 2017

Bingo. You nailed it man. :thumbs_up: :D
That's because - coming from Live & Bitwig - I felt exactly the same :)

On the flip side, this makes you actually LISTEN to your mix more, so maybe try to follow this (
and "don't sweat it" :)

• Information