HOW do you Select the MIDI input from the RACK?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

19 Jan 2015

You can change which instrument/device is controlled by the MIDI input in the sequencer window by clicking on the device track or moving up/down with the arrows.  Is there a way to do the same thing while in the rack view window?  You can select the active device by using the up/down buttons, but it doesn't select that device for input MIDI.  This drives me crazy.  Am I missing something?  Shouldn't this be something they addressed in Reason 8, since they are bragging about WORKFLOW so much??
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

challism

20 Jan 2015

Hmmmm...... so nobody has any tricks or workarounds for this issue?  Dang it.  I was hoping I was just missing something.  Looks like it's just a shortcoming of Reason's "workflow"?

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Nope even with R8, theres no solution for this outside of using a controller to scroll through the sequencer tracks.

challism

20 Jan 2015

My MIDI keyboard has track select buttons, which work well for this issue, but I have no solution when I am away from my keyboard and using the on-screen keyboard.  I can't believe they haven't fixed this glaringly obvious issue.  It seems pretty obvious and basic to allow the selected device to receive MIDI.  WHY THE HELL ELSE WOULD YOU SELECT IT?  Hopefully this will be addressed in a point release soon.... along with a few free REs (hey, a guy can dream, right?).

kloeckno

20 Jan 2015

If I'm playing a keyboard or something, I wouldn't want the MIDI controller to follow what device I select in the rack. That would be annoying.

But you can right click on a device in the rack and select "Lock (whatever controller you have) to device".

polardozer

20 Jan 2015

Can someone please explain how to even use MIDI?

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

polardozer wrote:Can someone please explain how to even use MIDI?
Sure.
1. Play some notes
2. start tweaking
3. never finish composing

Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

polardozer

20 Jan 2015

i cant even get the notes to play...

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

I'm sorry.
If this is a serious question I am out of my league.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

challism

20 Jan 2015

That's a great idea, kloeckno.  I think it will solve my issue.

polardozer, you must first set up your MIDI device in the preferences.  Reason has the drivers for many common devices loaded already.  Just enter the make of your device and search for it.  Then you have to enable it.  Then you have to make sure it is controlling a device in Reason that actually makes sound (an instrument, as opposed to an effect or utility).  You should look through youtube or even the Reason user manual for how to use MIDI.  It's pretty awesome.

tumar

21 Jan 2015

Why not to try with Options>Additional remote overdrives ?

Mastrcode

22 Jan 2015

kloeckno wrote:If I'm playing a keyboard or something, I wouldn't want the MIDI controller to follow what device I select in the rack. That would be annoying.

But you can right click on a device in the rack and select "Lock (whatever controller you have) to device".
You can change this in Reason's preferences. Just go to the "Control Surfaces" tab. There you can change, how the MIDI input should react:
Attachments
Properties.jpg
Properties.jpg (97.2 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

electrofux

22 Jan 2015

Right click on the device, then somewhere down near the remote codecs there is something like switch to devices sequencer track. It will autoopen the sequencer though.

I have moaned about this so often itfinally ended up in their request database to do something about remote asignment in rack view. Don't know if it will ever happen and my wish was a bit different than your needs (i wanted to have a user definable separate control surface for the selected Rack Device).

• Information