My opinion if you're on the fence about upgrading before Oct 1

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
20 Sep 2021
it's an option--but knowing anything about human behavior, it's not a great one. "buying" as a way to trial is most likely going to result in people just begrudgingly keeping the upgrade because they've already paid for it, and it's easier than the hassle of requesting a refund...even if it's not in a state for which they'd normally be willing to pay.
Totally true. Agree. That’s how I work anyway. Never sold a piece of software or plugin ever.
But also…if people want the upgrade the only thing which should be expected is that the stuff they’ve said they’ll fix will be fixed. No extra features. No extra devices. R12 is what it is. And again, they’ve said they’ll fix the bugs. So if folks believe them and want R12 then they can buy it now. Otherwise don’t
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lancaster

20 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Lancaster wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Hi I am sticking with reason and want to stay up to date. I currently own reason 11 suite and thinking of switching to reason plus, just wondering what people recommend.

One question would be how often do rack extensions outside of the suite like Friktion, pattern mutator etc go on sale? At full price the cost does start adding up so maybe in the long run reason plus would be the better option.
Black Friday and may madness so 2 times a year

Awesome thank you for that.

sonicbyte

20 Sep 2021

Have someone purchase the upgrade via jrrshop (To get the extra discount ) ? How you "add" the purchased license to your account in Reason Studios ?

Thanks

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Have someone purchase the upgrade via jrrshop (To get the extra discount ) ? How you "add" the purchased license to your account in Reason Studios ?

Thanks
You log-in to your account and register the license number under My Products.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sonicbyte

20 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Thanks
You log-in to your account and register the license number under My Products.
ok thanks !

WasteLand

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Proboscis wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Exactly, dude. Exactly ouch.

Jo Citizen follows your helpful advice, buys an upgrade license today, and has to decide whether it's worth it, despite there being (probably) not many improvements on October 19th.

Joe Citizen could seek a refund, but under the premise that any future re-purchase is going to be 50% more.

So Joe Citizen begrudgingly keeps his perpetual, $129 license in the 'hope' that there will be improvements.

And Bingo - ReasonStudios reconcile another payment into their books. Perhaps, in part to the influence of this thread.

It really does start to sound like an elaborate entrapment to bolster sales over the next two weeks.
That sounds complicated.

Reason is $129 until Oct 1. There is a 30-day return policy through RS. There are some users trying to make what they think has to be a concrete decision by Sept 30. I'm just pointing out the flexibility they then have with the 30-day return policy through RS to make that decision later.

If they buy after Oct 1 it is $199. If they buy before Oct 1, but then return it and then for whatever reason decide to buy again, it is $199. What difference does it make at that point?

1. User A buys for $129, likes what they have and what they see through October, keeps it and has paid $129 total.
2. User B waits until after Oct 1, they buys it for $199. It cost them $199 total.
3. User C buys it for $129, decides to return it, and then buys it again sometime after Oct. 1 because they then see something they like. It cost them $199 total.

User B and C have paid the same amount.
i am on the fence, mostly because for the hi-res, which helps me...

but indeed after oct. 1 it will be $199.

but Reason Studios has sales, i asked this 4 times, what will be lowest sale price. 30% or have they even 40%. if it is 30%, the sale price will be $129/€129 (nice that it is the same price, but of course i take the jrrshop route, as i did with 11 suite update/upgrade from 10).

so, indeed on the fence, but there will be sales. still more than now i presume, but the pressure can be less.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

helmutson

20 Sep 2021

This new prize tag kicked me out of the game. I was on the fence, waiting for the real finished R12, not for that half baked product at the moment, if they solved the main problems, I would pay for the update (perpetual) .I hate the R+ thing and I don't need it because I have nearly every RS product. Now I have to purchase this unfinished R12 update or wait until they finish it and pay 60.- € more ... really nice :thumbs_down:

I really loved Reason, still do, but I'm so pi.... by the behavior of the company and that keeps me away from using it, or with other words - no more trust ...
Last edited by helmutson on 20 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

20 Sep 2021

helmutson wrote:
20 Sep 2021
This new prize tag kicked me out of the game. I was on the fence, waiting for the real finished R12, not for that half baked product at the moment, if they solved the main problems, I would pay for the update (perpetual) .I hate the R+ thing and I don't need it because I have nearly every RS product. Now I have to purchase this unfinished R12 update or wait until they finish it and pay 60.- € more ... really nice :thumbs_down:
I'm hoping the fixes (that are being tested) will be released soon (before the price goes up). If you're a beta tester, you can check it out, but fingers crossed it can be released soon.

helmutson

20 Sep 2021

Sorry, but all what I see is damage control ...

helmutson

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
helmutson wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I'm hoping the fixes (that are being tested) will be released soon (before the price goes up). If you're a beta tester, you can check it out, but fingers crossed it can be released soon.
In 1 1/2 week ? Oh yeah, sure ...

WasteLand

20 Sep 2021

ok. 5th attempt to ask about reason sales strategy, for reason....

but $199/€199 (etc.) is the standard price after oct. 10.

but there will be sales of course.

what percentage is the highest reason has offered, 30% (it will 139), 40% it will be lower???

so what will be the sale prices??
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

joeyluck

20 Sep 2021

WasteLand wrote:
20 Sep 2021

what percentage is the highest reason has offered, 30% (it will 139), 40% it will be lower???

Nobody knows this.

I think before we typically saw the upgrade for $129 go on sale for $99. That is roughly 25% off.

25% off of $199 would be $149.

Reason upgrades went on sale a few times. It is a good guess that with a price increase, that it will go on sale at some point. It is also a sure bet that when it does go on sale, it will be accompanied by R13 speculation and/or claims of Reason Studios being desperate. That is the only guarantee anybody can make here 😂

AttenuationHz

20 Sep 2021

WasteLand wrote:
20 Sep 2021

199 is the standard price after September 30th
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

WasteLand

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
WasteLand wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Nobody knows this.

I think before we typically saw the upgrade for $129 go on sale for $99. That is roughly 25% off.

25% off of $199 would be $149.

Reason upgrades went on sale a few times. It is a good guess that with a price increase, that it will go on sale at some point. It is also a sure bet that when it does go on sale, it will be accompanied by R13 speculation and/or claims of Reason Studios being desperate. That is the only guarantee anybody can make here 😂
ok thanks! and yes every sale, every pricing strategy leads to deseperation! he he

also with me.

@AttenuationHz, yes it is the standard price, but this ITB land, sales are all over the place. i consider sale price the standard price.................

jamespember
Reason Studios

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021

"Us old schoolers', hey.... :clap:

I'm well aware of previous release iterations and the 'demo mode'. There was a time when I thought (for reasons I can't recall) that it was no longer an option, but a post from you a few days ago mentioned it's still a thing, hence why I even bothered downloading R+

It still doesn't address whether the R+ trial is going to burn the 30 day RE trial on devices one might install. But we'll find out soon enough, and I'll update this thread in four days if it's an issue.

As it stands , I DON'T KNOW. Do you know ?
I'm not sure. I think they are handled separately? You could look at the shop pages for the REs that you haven't tried yet and see what they say.

James might be able to answer this.
No, shop trials have nothing to do with R+ at all. Even after an R+ trial, you can still run new trials in the Shop.

joeyluck

20 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
20 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
19 Sep 2021

I'm not sure. I think they are handled separately? You could look at the shop pages for the REs that you haven't tried yet and see what they say.

James might be able to answer this.
No, shop trials have nothing to do with R+ at all. Even after an R+ trial, you can still run new trials in the Shop.
Thanks for clarifying, James!

plaamook

20 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
20 Sep 2021
1 more scenery would be just to buy the upgrade for 129 and continue using R11 until the road map is complete
Well, 83....but yeah that’s my plan at the mo. I’m at least waiting for the first bug fix.
It’s a bit of a gamble but I’m quietly confident.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

joeyluck

20 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
20 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
20 Sep 2021
1 more scenery would be just to buy the upgrade for 129 and continue using R11 until the road map is complete
Well, 83....but yeah that’s my plan at the mo. I’m at least waiting for the first bug fix.
Have you joined the beta? There are fixes being tested now if you wanted to see sooner. They are asking for more testers.

plaamook

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Have you joined the beta? There are fixes being tested now if you wanted to see sooner. They are asking for more testers.
I would but I’m in the middle of a project. I can’t really afford to spend serious time with it sadly.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

gullum

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
20 Sep 2021

I did apply and got the beta on my account but never got a download link :( have been a beta tester since 8

joeyluck

20 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
20 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021

I did apply and got the beta on my account but never got a download link :( have been a beta tester since 8
Just sent you a PM.

WasteLand

21 Sep 2021

well i bit.

bought the upgrade, grrrr, didn't want to spend money on software, only Sumu (Madrona Labs), and yes updates, in sale. i have already an arsenal. i invested a lot, a lot, over the years, but the last 1 1/2 year, was exceptional, it has slowed down quite a lot now, to almost zero, don't remember even what i bought last 1 or 2 months, 1 thing. but reason.. ggggrr...

what did me push over, yes the hi-res, because my eyes!! and now i have also 59 rewards.... that finally mean something...

did of course the jrrshop route, although dollar is high (or low..), well....

and the new combinator looks more usefull, for me....

wait for the fixes, when to install....

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

I'm on R10 ... I think I'd be better off upgrading to R11 Suite. That would give me Complex, Parsec and RRP. Plus, if R12 is any good, this should still entitle me to a license.

WasteLand

21 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I'm on R10 ... I think I'd be better off upgrading to R11 Suite. That would give me Complex, Parsec and RRP. Plus, if R12 is any good, this should still entitle me to a license.
that is indeed the better option, you can still buy it. some resellers have still licenses. if it entitles you to R12, i don't know. don't forget Scenic... i have forgotten the complete list, haha...
also some seqeuncers, and of course effects. in fact, if i am right, all Rack Extensions of Reason till the date R11 Suite came out?

tronam

21 Sep 2021

It’s almost like there’s collective amnesia here every release cycle. For most of Reason’s history the upgrades do not represent that version in its final form. There will typically be 18 to 24 months of bug fixes, feature and workflow enhancements and often a free device of some kind. It’s not like Steinberg’s 12 month upgrade cycle where the upgrade costs accumulate the longer you wait and any new features go into next year’s paid upgrade. I totally understand if people are no longer getting what they need from Reason and want to move on, but as a user for over 20 years I want Reason and the company to survive, so I’m willing to make a good faith investment. The existence of R+ makes me feel even better about it because even though I wouldn’t subscribe myself, the service will require them to be more open and transparent about consistent, gradual upgrades over time in order to maintain their subscribers. I actually feel more optimistic than I have in a while and am glad that Reason engagement metrics are up.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

• Information