Manually insert value in knobs/faders R10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ArcoZ

07 Nov 2021

Nothing has changed since ver 01.
Is there a way to manually insert the value in R12?
I can't find it. Maybe I'm blind.

jam-s

07 Nov 2021

Yes, there is still the same way as it worked in previous versions: Create an automation lane for the parameter and enter the value there on the left side. But apart from pacing some mild OCD having exact values is usually not that important so why do you want to do this?

ArcoZ

07 Nov 2021

Sometimes I'm loosing 1 min of my precious time to manually get reverb send value to ... 20 because my mouse is not hyper precise. If I'd have numerical value insert function I'd have spent 2 seconds.
Gosh. It would be a timesaver. But I don't have it in Reason. Ridiculous.

jam-s

07 Nov 2021

Doesn't holding down shift give you enough precision to dial it to 20? In general it should.

ArcoZ

07 Nov 2021

It gives precision but i takes time.
The first rule of an editor - TIME. It's about the audio and video editing. That's why we have key shortcuts, mouse moves, mouse modifiers etc.

Lack of speed options is the sign of bad coding.

In every good editing software is the option of mouse wheel input, modifier + MW input, MW specified jump change value. For instance in Studio One one MW jump in mixer equals 0,4 dB. It is very useful because 0,4 dB is the minimal loudness difference sensed by average human ear. In editing situation it speeds up the workflow. None of these things in Reason. Ridiculous.

dusan.cani

07 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
07 Nov 2021
But apart from pacing some mild OCD having exact values is usually not that important so why do you want to do this?
What are you talking about ? There are various scenarios where exact values are very important. For example some waveform modifiers on Europa react to the smallest possible value change, so you get different waveform spectrum based on this. If you want to use the same waveform for another engine, you need to set the parameter to the exact value, otherwise you could end up with different waveform. Another scenario is programming patches for combinator. It's really bothersome that everytime you want to set the exact min-max value, you have to scroll to that value by mouse drag, instead of direct typing the value.

Manual insert value for parameter is fundamental, very useful and helpful functionality which should have been there from the beginning. Reason Studios make very weird decisions in regards of the user experience. I would rather say, that they don't care about user experience in Reason at all. We have R12 and they still didn't address major user experience problems like this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514067
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597

And according to their plans, they will never fix this, they ignore this and consider as no problems at all.

jam-s

07 Nov 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
07 Nov 2021
What are you talking about ? There are various scenarios where exact values are very important. For example some waveform modifiers on Europa react to the smallest possible value change, so you get different waveform spectrum based on this. If you want to use the same waveform for another engine, you need to set the parameter to the exact value, otherwise you could end up with different waveform. Another scenario is programming patches for combinator. It's really bothersome that everytime you want to set the exact min-max value, you have to scroll to that value by mouse drag, instead of direct typing the value.
Thank you for giving some examples. So far I've only seen people who wanted that feature for rather esoteric reasons. So thanks for broadening my understanding.

sebs303

24 Dec 2021

Another example is the 'mixing angle' on things.

I am using/testing reason for mixing and I am missing this. There are several techniques, where you e.e. find resonant frequencies with a very exact sweep and other require you to 'push' frequencies and then exact multiples or halfs of that. All this is quite hard to achieve for me without a simple window to exter a specific value for all knobs that have HZ values.

• Information