it is here, go look at Props website now !!!!!!!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mayzon

22 Jan 2015

Nothing wrong with the site itself, this looks current and up to date and definitely needed to update the old one. As for the content.

Cheesy, limp, selling the dream...

Marketing at it's most savage! 

Android.DK

22 Jan 2015

I was wondering when the new site would be up... because this was the address in my bookmark.  :D

http://www.propellerheads.se/index.cfm
"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

:reason: :re:

Marketblandings

22 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:
Reason is a world-class product. It's exceptional. It does certain things better than any other DAW. I believe a far better direction would have been making corresponding hardware - a physical Kong, a physical Dr OctoRex triggerer, a better Balance - getting movie integration, and unpacking the various rack instruments - Subtractor, Kong, ReDrum etc - as standalone AAX, VST, AU and iPad instruments/effects, as NI have done with some of their reverbs from Guitar Rig.

Making the various instruments standalone, and applying a real dollar value to them, would have thus increased Reason's perceived value in hosting them.

Furthermore, the RE store and Refill store is a potential Goldmine if they priced it and grabbed proper commission from it. They could also have extended that into an mp3 store or radio station/streaming service too without much trouble.

But whatever... who am I?
These are all much better ideas, Yorick. Much better.

I was thinking months ago that the next Reason step - or a new product - would be Reason with the rack transformed into separate icons for each device, instrument or effect. Icons that have no picture of a recording studio device anywhere.
Manipulatable icons that do all (or most) of the Reason functions but have no tech appearance or tech name at all. Squeeze a cartoon icon for compression. Take bites out of another one for EQ. Make one bounce or mulitply for echo delay. Make one reverberate for reverb. Imaginary instrument pics for synths. Manipulate the crazy, imaginary instrument pic and change the sound. Model what the effect does. What the sound sounds like. Think of iPad icons and how they shake, shiver and spin to tell you things. Forget what used to produce this stuff in the past.

'cuz the gear pictures don't resonate with the kids. At all.

Purpleb

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:The video is pretty great though!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNP5TJblkFQ<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNP5TJblkFQ

Of course there will be some haters, but I think it is done very well.
Showcases all of their products (Reason, Discover, Figure, Take) all in one interesting video.

I wish them success at NAMM!
JiggeryPokery wrote:
lol, most people singing into a $600 iPhone
JiggeryPokery wrote:while wearing headphones and not paying attention to what's around them
JiggeryPokery wrote: is just going to get mugged.

Lol mugged or hit by a car

I would love to see a meme of that guy singing into his phone and then getting hit by a car
Then TAKE would have TAKEn his life (cheese-y I know)

joeyluck

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:I find it funny that people are freaking out over this and can't put two and two together.  

I don't have an iPhone.  I don't own Take or Figure.

But as a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

I have a degree in Business—Organization and Innovation Management.  I don't mean to sound big headed by saying this lol.  I'm not saying that because of that my opinion is right or anything I say in regards to business is right.  We all have some background.  I'm just trying to give some background to my opinion and my feelings.

This strategy they are currently executing is smart.  And I just hope to possibly ease the tension and help some fellow Reason users relax is all =)
JiggeryPokery wrote:
What if you don't have Reason, an iPhone, Take or Figure?

Now reload PH home. Don't scroll, don't touch.

What PH product are you being encouraged to buy?
Who in the world would visit Propellerhead's site without first knowing about the product they are looking for? Stumbleupon? And if you click products, Reason is listed first.

tumar

22 Jan 2015

michal22 wrote:  
I do not like.
Design copied from Apple.
Shop remained the same - did not add any improvements.
Not from Apple - Ableton page was first ;)

joeyluck

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote: But as a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

I have a degree in Business—Organization and Innovation Management.  I don't mean to sound big headed by saying this lol.  I'm not saying that because of that my opinion is right or anything I say in regards to business is right.  We all have some background.  I'm just trying to give some background to my opinion and my feelings.

This strategy they are currently executing is smart.  And I just hope to possibly ease the tension and help some fellow Reason users relax is all =)
ethday wrote:
By all means, ease the tension!  Don't just tell me why you're qualified and I should trust you, tell my why.  Also, tell me where you got that hat...
Sorry. You don't have to trust me. It's still just my opinion...that's what I was trying to say. Just trying to give background to the reason why I personally feel the way I feel. Trying to support my opinion a little bit to avoid the inevitable 'fanboy' attacks lol. Because that's the only possible reason you could support something Propellerhead chooses to do nowadays.

And I got the hat from thinkgeek.com! :)

bangaio

22 Jan 2015

So I got back from work looked and first thought like most is where's Reason.  But then again it is NAMM and they're pushing discover so fair enough.  The design feels far more like 201x but why the low res screen shots of reason?  Feels a bit cheap.  For a counter argument have a look at when Ableton changed their site.  Everyone said "garghhh" then got over it and slowly it evolved. That said they only hid their forums........

gallob

22 Jan 2015

It's obvious that the Props have been trying to capture more of the market, besides the die-hard aging Reason user base (which has become a bit of a liability, apparently, see the closure of the forum).

The first attempt was when they launched Record/Balance which was targeted at the larger population of singer/songwriters outside of classic EDM styles. We know how that went....

This is another attempt which tries to appeal to the apparently growing number of young producers and hobbyists who use smartphones and tablets to make music. It's riding the wave of the collaboration/sharing movement and of all the technologies that go with it (social networks, cloud storage, portable computing etc.). 

In theory, it all seems to be pretty well aligned and there are good chances this might be successful. But yet again, time will tell. 

I didn't not feel that excited when Record was launched. I don't feel too excited about Discover either. I hope others don't feel the same way I feel....

One thing is for sure though: every time they neglected Reason, it hit them right back in the face. Hope they have learnt from their mistakes and prioritize their time to make Reason better first, and then the rest. 

Territan

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:Of course there will be some haters,
Of course there will be some haters

Ladies and gentlemen, for those of you keeping score at home, we have an early forerunner  in the Understatement of the Year competition for 2015. JoeyLuck has really raised the bar; anyone that follows will have a hard time indeed delivering a message this vividly non-informative without sounding ironic or conveying the opposite message.

The more the drama of the PUF's collapse unfolds, the more I think the Props looked at the forums the way the owners of a dozen puppies would look at an electric neon yellow (formerly white) area rug—it just wasn't worth the effort to keep clean.
-This space intentionally left apathetic-

rvman

22 Jan 2015

I still feel lost on the new page. Like going down one road only to find this road not taking me where I want so I have to jump on another road, then another. It's just too busy with filler that gets in the way.

If I'm a person going to the site to learn about Reason, and thinking about buying it, the site would turn me off. That's my honest opinion.

If the site is not user friendly to me, then it makes me question the product.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:I find it funny that people are freaking out over this and can't put two and two together.  

I don't have an iPhone.  I don't own Take or Figure.

But as a Reason user, this strategy they are executing makes me feel more comfortable about the future and success of Reason.

JiggeryPokery wrote:
What if you don't have Reason, an iPhone, Take or Figure?

Now reload PH home. Don't scroll, don't touch.

What PH product are you being encouraged to buy?
joeyluck wrote: Who in the world would visit Propellerhead's site without first knowing about the product they are looking for?

Who in the world would visit without knowing about the product they were looking for?

Only pretty much everyone who had been told about it by someone else or had read a review and now wants to find out more about it direct from the software company themselves.

So if I'd heard about PH and I thought, hmmm, sounds interesting, I want to check out their products, I'm sent to their home page, and they've decided they don't want to sell me anything.

Rather than being given information, or directions, I'm shown a series of meaningless statements.

"Create, collaborate". So are they saying it's no good if you're not a collaborator? Of course, they're not saying that, but marketing is a flakey thing and that's the impression many prospective clients will be left with.

As the old wives tale says, if you advertise salt by saying "Our salt contains no arsenic", half the viewers will think your salt contains arsenic.

Again, it's like the flat transport bar. Ableton did it, so PH "must" follow.

Ableton's mobile-enhanced webpage is terrible, as well.

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

How come none of their product's names start with RE anymore? It makes me sad. So I cry. And then I get fucking pissed man. In a twist man. The 2nd verse is EPIC!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Noplan
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2015

Since R7 i feared that propellerhead has an apple fan boy in a managing position . Here you are!

Ronin

22 Jan 2015

I went to the new site, and I am so utterly disappointed in it (and the whole direction of the company as a whole since r7) that I cant even be bothered to batch about it tbh. 
I cant be arsed to type... thats how bad it is... /sigh
Wake me up when r9 feature list is announced.. till then, not spending more money on RE's or anything. Instead I will use my time and money to get back into rewiring with another daw.

sinnerfire

22 Jan 2015

The new Prop website looks like a very cheap Wordpress Theme?
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:It just seems like someone's bright idealistic idea in the boardroom, but no market research was done about how people are actually collaborating today.
[Cynical mode: ON]

OTOH…
What if this IS the result of serious market research?!? 

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

CharlyCharlzz

22 Jan 2015

I have no I-phone so I must upgrade to get it running , we could even have a discover forum and stuff !

it could be really cool actualy thinking on it , but because most of us uses Reason and not the apps we need to upgrade !

I would love to use that system , it is pretty fun looking ! but I will wait a bit I need my money otherwise I would have buyed the all shop already after them crazy sales !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:It just seems like someone's bright idealistic idea in the boardroom, but no market research was done about how people are actually collaborating today.
selig wrote:

OTOH…

;)
Then I'm happy to be wrong, and I hope I am.

Theo.M

22 Jan 2015

So..watching the video and checking out the website.. I get the impression that their future is focusing away from Reason as a priority? 

atitlan

22 Jan 2015

So Props are now going to change the world with their amazing Discover collaboration service - which is great if you only want to collaborate between users of Props software.

However, others may want to join an established collaboration site like http://www.kompoz.com/music/home, without the proprietary lock-in.

Other than putting it down to a case of terminal Apple-envy I really don't know what Propellerhead are doing any more.

Maybe they should give up this music software lark and get back in the studio and give us the follow up to decksanddrumsandrockandroll ;)

EnochLight

22 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:It's unlikely that advert would be allowed on British TV.
Yeesh, it's not like he was filmed texting while driving.  While holding a baby in his lap.  

I think the promo does an eloquent job of conveying just how Reason can be used together with their mobile apps.  Criticisms aside (really, getting mugged??  :roll: ) people have been asking for some sort of automatic integration with Take and Figure since they released.

So... Props deliver their answer, and as expected, everyone is all up in arms.  That said, I do realize that closing their forums is probably the biggest catalyst behind all of the hubbub.  

I dunno.... maybe it's just me (as my background is also in marketing to an extent), but the whole direction just seems to make sense to me.  It's too early for anyone to declare gloom and doom, so I'll wish them the best and keep on trucking along with Reason as I usually do.  When the next (major) version drops, if the direction continues to be something that I find useful, then awesome sauce!  If not, there's a dozen other DAW's out there I can use.  No biggie.
Theo.M wrote:So..watching the video and checking out the website.. I get the impression that their future is focusing away from Reason as a priority? 
I didn't get that feeling at all.  I don't think anyone would consider a free app (Take) and a .99 cent USD app (Figure) to even remotely be a replacement for focus, IMHO.  Reason is and will likely remain their flagship product (along with RE's).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

selig wrote:

OTOH…

;)
Hah!

You know, I guess you're joking, but plenty of great things have been ruined by bad feedback management. If the question is phrased to get the answer you want.

PH decide they want an online collaborative service, so you ask people:

"Do you think Reason needs better collaborative features?".

Well, I guess who wouldn't say yes to that? Seems fairly harmless.

So 90% of people surveyed probably said "yes", thus "confirming" plans they already had. They can legitmately turn around and say - most users agreed that they wanted better collaborative features.

They wouldn't have asked about what they actually planned:

"Do you think collaborative music file sharing and iPhone apps should be the primary driver of the Propellerhead website"?

Well, who's going to say yes to that?! Absolutely no-one, of course. So they simply don't ask that question

Why do Props feel that alienating a lot of us older users and Reason evangelists, by targetting a largely at best a largely non-existent demographic and at worst an entirely made-up one, is constructive?

Jagwah

22 Jan 2015

I'm going to take an optimistic stance here and hope that Props have made the right decision, a decision that's going to bring them loads of money - money that can be poured in to Reason. I thought this would have happened with Rack Extensions and the fortunes many of us spent, but yeah...

It is really a bit scary to think that people will be making mediocre recordings on their tiny phone microphones as part of this process, and I wonder what is the point of sharing this stuff if people just take it probably without crediting everyone along the way...

I really hope this was not only the right decision, but a huge profit generating decision, and also that some focus can be put on Reason as I'm sure a lot of resources are on this 'sharing is caring' thing at the moment.

I noticed Korg unveiled mobile apps at NAMM, so I guess this is where it's supposed to be at, at the moment. Seems a bit of a gamble.

• Information