What is the best ReWire alternative? (or, what's the best way to replicate it?)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scdave

06 Jan 2022

Hi all, wondering if anyone could help with this.

I absolutely loved ReWire and was kinda bummed out when they took it out. I understand that the Rack Extension plugin is super good, but I had a couple of workflows that heavily utilised ReWire that I can't do anymore. Here's what I mean:

1) Reason + Ableton: A few occasions in the past I was asked to do the music and the sound for animations. I used to compose on Reason, keeping all the musical elements there and then do the sound design in Ableton. Being able to switch back quickly between DAWs made it super easy to modify different elements. Instead of scoring the music and SFX in different sessions, I was able to make changes on the fly. I prefer Reason when making music, but for sound design I've leant more towards Ableton, mostly because of its native video features.

2) Reason + ReNoise: Similar to the above, but ReNoise being a tracker made it great to do some nitty gritty break slices.

I've had some success with LoopMidi. However, it doesn't feel as snappy as ReWire did. Additionally, only having the transport controls work in one DAW is super annoying. JACK Audio is good for piping audio from one place to another, but that seems to be about it. Currently using Windows.

The "solution" to this problem would be to downgrade to Reason 11 (or 10, can't quite remember), but I'd be missing out on a lot of new features I love and a bunch of Rack Extensions I've purchased. Ableton Sync, its "replacement" doesn't sync the playback functions at all, which was kinda my major draw towards using ReWire

I would absolutely love for them to add it back, but I can't see that happening. I remember reading a while ago (correct me if i'm wrong) that it was removed due to security concerns on OSX, sooo if it was removed because of that, fair enough.

I'd love to know if anyone else has been in the same situation and what work-arounds they've come up with.

Cheers!

QVprod

06 Jan 2022

If you're not using If you're not using mimmic, combine 2 or the SSL rack fx then you can use R10 for Rewire. I believe all current rack extensions are compatible with Reason 10.

If you want to stay on. current Reason version. You can use midi time code through LoopMidi or Jack which will allow you to sync the transports. You'd then have to set up virtual audio do get audio from one DAW to the other. It's a complex setup but should get you close to what Rewire offered.

Here's a video on syncing with time code. Should be easily applicable to Reason

ShelLuser

07 Jan 2022

To be honest I don't think there is a "one size, fits all" alternative that will work for everyone. The best you can do is the rack plugin which is a decent alternative save the sequencer.
scdave wrote:
06 Jan 2022
1) Reason + Ableton: A few occasions in the past I was asked to do the music and the sound for animations. I used to compose on Reason, keeping all the musical elements there and then do the sound design in Ableton.
I can recognize myself in your situation; I loved the combo as well and yah, had to find a solution. Unfortunately not many DAW's provide support for being a ReWire client or are as heavily packed with instruments & effects as Reason was. For me this endeavour failed miserably. I did pick up on Reaper and grabbed it because it's an awesome product, but it's not comparable.

Now, this is probably not going to help you but I figured I'd share nonetheless... I ended up with Maschine. It's basically a "DAW-like" program which can be used as VTS inside Live. Better yet: it comes with its own controller which means that I can use it to "do" stuff fully away from the keyboard & mouse. Whenever I'm messing around with my audio projects I mostly rely on the combination of Push (to control Live) + Maschine (to be used with the Maschine software or to control (small) parts of Live).

Reason comes as a massive 3rd which I now only use as rack plugin, I moved away from the sequencer completely. Which wasn't easy at first because I had fully adapted to blocks and such, but... it is what it is. For me having an extra controller for my new compositions (or experimentations) really helped to make this transition process a bit easier on me. It's still an important part of my workflow, but these days the emphasis lies on the players which can be really useful. For example the Bassline generator + Diva VST can lead to pure awesomeness IMO.

But it wasn't easy to get there....
scdave wrote:
06 Jan 2022
I would absolutely love for them to add it back, but I can't see that happening. I remember reading a while ago (correct me if i'm wrong) that it was removed due to security concerns on OSX, sooo if it was removed because of that, fair enough.

I'd love to know if anyone else has been in the same situation and what work-arounds they've come up with.
In the end the best advice that I can give you is to forget about ReWire entirely and try to find other solutions. Either you give up on Live and move towards Reason to make it your main DAW, or you stick to Live and use Reason's rack plugin. Or maybe use something completely different? The best part of the rack plugin (IMO of course) is that all the rack extensions can be made to work easily within your main DAW. Stuff like, say, The Legend or Antidote or the awesome Synapse audio effects... all usable within Live thanks to the rack plugin. But also Reason's own awesome players.

My main gripe was the lack of a second sequencer, I got so used to splitting up my work in multiple parts that I really wanted that experience back. Although I could have made something using Max for Live I knew it would be a bit clunky so... I kinda expanded.

In all fairness it's important to note that I got a bit of a lucky break, because when all this happened I had saved up and got a bit extra which allowed me to upgrade my entire audio setup. My old APC40 got replaced with Push, I upgraded all my audio software (Live, Reason (also grabbed several rack extensions) & Max) and thus also expanded with Maschine (and later Komplete, but that's a whole different story).

I still miss the "good ole days" but yah... I also really enjoy my current setup as well ;)

One important thing here though... there really isn't a "good" or "bad" solution here, the best you can do is find something that works for you.
--- :reason:

integerpoet

07 Jan 2022

I never had occasion to use ReWire or Ableton Link, but that apparently hasn't stopped me from brainstorming.
  • Does Reason support Ableton Link?
  • What did ReWire have that Ableton Link lacks?
  • What can be used to fill the gaps?

ShelLuser

07 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2022
I never had occasion to use ReWire or Ableton Link, but that apparently hasn't stopped me from brainstorming.
  • Does Reason support Ableton Link?
  • What did ReWire have that Ableton Link lacks?
Reason does indeed support Link but the problem is that Link is a one way street so to speak whereas ReWire worked both ways.

ReWire allowed you to use a DAW as a client meaning that you could sent MIDI into it (in specific to a particular device), the DAW would then process this and any generated audio would then be sent back out into the main ReWire host. This allowed you to 'play' Reason from within Live. The added bonus was that the transport also got fully synced and thus you could use the Reason sequencer to complement the material you had in Live.

Link otoh is only geared towards synchronizing the main transport, but doesn't provide any other features. So if you fire up Live on your PC, then try to fire up Reason then Reason will probably notice the lock on your audio interfaces (I'm assuming people use ASIO) and thus it'll fail. Or.. maybe it can use other audio hardware (the one that came with your PC perhaps?) but the problem is that you're still using 2 separate processes.

At best you might be able to bounce the audio in Reason and then add that to your Live setup, but... that kinda defeats the purpose I think because you'd still have to work on timing and such. This is also the reason why Link is often touted as a network protocol, emphasizing the fact that you'd normaly use this to "link" DAW's that run on different computers.

If anything I can't help feel that the whole ordeal proves once more that the Propellerheads were way ahead of their time on many levels. Now... ReWire wasn't perfect, far from it; it had its share of flaws as well (where timing was also a thing). But it sure provided tons of cool things. I even managed to "abuse" it by getting Thor to sent out MIDI data over audio channels, which was then picked up by a Javascript audio effect in ReaJS (a VST from Reaper; it allows you to program your own instruments & effects with Javascript).

It was a bit of a hack for sure, but I still managed to use Reason's awesome RPG8 quite reliably in Live. Of course this is now a lot easier with the rack, but those were pretty fun times to be in IMO.

integerpoet

07 Jan 2022

I get the mix-and-match advantage of bi-directionality, but I wonder if there is a (small) market for a meta-DAW which:
  • offers virtual audio inputs at the lowest reasonable level of abstraction for each OS
  • has the simplest mixer which could enable meaningful capture of work in other apps
  • supports Link
I guess it would constantly be recording all the other apps and there'd be problems to solve with random access of the timeline.

Goriila Texas

07 Jan 2022

Not being able to drag midi from players or sequencers besides Redrum really makes the RRP weak imo. Those of us who maximized Rewire took a huge lost in workflow when they discontinued Rewire. I find it crazy how so many people didn't use Rewire and understand how much of a weapon it was. RRP can't compare period.

integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2022
I get the mix-and-match advantage of bi-directionality, but I wonder if there is a (small) market for a meta-DAW which:
  • offers virtual audio inputs at the lowest reasonable level of abstraction for each OS
  • has the simplest mixer which could enable meaningful capture of work in other apps
  • supports Link
I guess it would constantly be recording all the other apps and there'd be problems to solve with random access of the timeline.

integerpoet

07 Jan 2022

My crazy and probably foolish idea doesn't relate to RRP.

It'd be a way to direct multiple DAWs into a central meta-DAW with which you can mix all their outputs.

But if the itch ReWire scratched for you was the ability to create your own "network topology" of DAWs, my idea does nothing for you.
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Jan 2022
Not being able to drag midi from players or sequencers besides Redrum really makes the RRP weak imo. Those of us who maximized Rewire took a huge lost in workflow when they discontinued Rewire. I find it crazy how so many people didn't use Rewire and understand how much of a weapon it was. RRP can't compare period.

integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2022
  • supports Link

integerpoet

07 Jan 2022

ShelLuser wrote:
07 Jan 2022
Reason does indeed support Link but the problem is that Link is a one way street so to speak whereas ReWire worked both ways.

ReWire allowed you to use a DAW as a client meaning that you could sent MIDI into it (in specific to a particular device), the DAW would then process this and any generated audio would then be sent back out into the main ReWire host. This allowed you to 'play' Reason from within Live. The added bonus was that the transport also got fully synced and thus you could use the Reason sequencer to complement the material you had in Live.

Link otoh is only geared towards synchronizing the main transport, but doesn't provide any other features.
Ah. What I was thinking without actually writing is that at least on macOS it possible to route MIDI between apps (just with the OS) and audio between apps (with third-party packages). And of course Link continues to be a thing. So it seems to me a lot of the individual pieces of ReWire are already available, which of course is not as good as ReWire because seamless integration would enable near-perfect synchronization of those pieces. It just seems meaningful somehow that we already have 80% of a solution and we just need some clever developer to come along and provide the second 80%. The question is how that developer could make the work worth its while.

Or, hey, if you really want ReWire now, I get the impression the rough equivalent exists on iOS (iPhone, iPad), so, like, just abandon your investment in macOS and/or Windows and make the jump to an iPad Pro. No big deal, right? :-)

ScuzzyEye

07 Jan 2022

At the risk of dragging this thread into the 32-bit audio thread. Audio passed over ReWire was all 32-bit floating point. So you could record the output of Reason into Live, and then bounce that track to disk and gain access to the internal format. That was a pretty cumbersome setup, so I only tried it as a proof of concept. I'm glad I didn't come to rely on it.

While I do have a multi-client ASIO audio interface in Windows where I can have multiple DAWs mixing audio into one driver, that driver is limited to 24-bit. Apple's Core Audio supports applications passing audio as 32-bit and it can then adjust the volume and mix streams.

Goriila Texas

07 Jan 2022

What interface is that as I thought it was impossible in Windows? While you're at it what other DAW do you use?

ScuzzyEye wrote:
07 Jan 2022
At the risk of dragging this thread into the 32-bit audio thread. Audio passed over ReWire was all 32-bit floating point. So you could record the output of Reason into Live, and then bounce that track to disk and gain access to the internal format. That was a pretty cumbersome setup, so I only tried it as a proof of concept. I'm glad I didn't come to rely on it.

While I do have a multi-client ASIO audio interface in Windows where I can have multiple DAWs mixing audio into one driver, that driver is limited to 24-bit. Apple's Core Audio supports applications passing audio as 32-bit and it can then adjust the volume and mix streams.

ScuzzyEye

07 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Jan 2022
What interface is that as I thought it was impossible in Windows? While you're at it what other DAW do you use?
ASIO supports a feature that's called multi-client mode. It's optional, but every interface I've owned (3 different ones since 1999) supports it. The first was a Terratec EWS88MT, then a Focusrite Saffire PRO40, and now currently a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen. I can have one DAW to output to channels 1&2 and another to channels 3&4. The use the driver's mixer utility to choose how those channels are mixed, and what outputs to send them to (different or same monitors, one headphone output or the other, or any combination of those). This is how it's been since that first Terratec. Also, with the Focusrite interfaces, the DAW outputing to 1&2 has that signal visible on inputs 11&12. So I can record what's playing in another program. Albeit at only 24-bit, and clipped samples really are clipped, so this isn't a an ideal alternative to ReWire (keeping on topic ;)).

I have just about every current DAW installed on my PC and Mac. I primarily use Reason, Studio One, and Reaper, plus iZotope RX for audio editing. I'm usually on my PC, and only use the Mac for testing Mac-only things.

ShelLuser

08 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Jan 2022
Uhm, dragging MIDI also wasn't a thing with ReWire, you make it sound as if it was. And no offense but... the RRP is a good substitute because the only thing that you're missing out on is the sequencer and the mixer panel, but those weren't really a thing anyway because ReWire only allowed control over one single device. If you wanted more you'd have to patch your way around it (which is why I came to love the virtual cables so much).

Eventually I ended up controlling a combinator by default and that is basically the exact same experience which you get with the RRP.

And more... because unlike ReWire the RRP also allows for MIDI to get extracted if you need/want to.

But seriously... how many people use(d) 2 sequencers at once? Maschine exists for over 10 years now (I actually tried the first model, and got a refund due to flakey hardware) yet here and now, after 10 years and 3 generations, most of the people using it do not use its sequencer. In fact.. one of the most heard "complaints" is actually that it's sometimes a bit of a hassle to route MIDI out of it.

While I do agree with you that ReWire was heavily underappreciated I also don't think it was the universal answer to everything either.

Purely looking at overall functionality I'd say the RRP actually does a fine and impressive job. They fixed the tab key ;)

Because as much as I love Maschine I'll also be the first to state that this isn't perfect either ;)
integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2022
ShelLuser wrote:
07 Jan 2022

<snip>
Ah. What I was thinking without actually writing is that at least on macOS it possible to route MIDI between apps (just with the OS) and audio between apps (with third-party packages). And of course Link continues to be a thing.

<snip>

Or, hey, if you really want ReWire now, I get the impression the rough equivalent exists on iOS (iPhone, iPad), so, like, just abandon your investment in macOS and/or Windows and make the jump to an iPad Pro. No big deal, right? :-)
Thanks for the insight. With all due respect but Apple simply isn't for me, I can't help express my opinion that I think the whole product is heavily overpriced when looking at specific aspects (such as hardware quality or the poor reception you get at support who are more than often pushing you into buying a whole new setup vs. replacing the E 0,60 component to get you back up to speed again).

Of course, having said that I also recognize the advantages which the platform has. One example is shared by you above, I'm also aware (told & shown by a friend) that if you have Apple hardware then you can always perform a re-install of the OS no matter what, and all you need is an Internet connection. The install can be done remotely and without hassle because the hardware ID is all you need to authenticate your OS installment. Which, IMO, are some impressive feats as well.

Still... I prefer Windows and having full control over my hardware specifications and less costs for said hardware.

integerpoet

08 Jan 2022

ShelLuser wrote:
08 Jan 2022
… Apple … overpriced …
I was not actually proposing switching from Windows to an iPad to get whatever partial approximation of a ReWire experience might be available. That was mostly a joke, hence whatever variation of smiley I threw in. The average producer would lose a bunch of plug-ins they love and would have to adopt a very different workflow. And I long ago stopped trying to persuade people to reconsider their choice of platform anyway.

But "overpriced" isn't a useful word in these discussions. It suggests an objective standard which doesn't exist. Either the unique aspects of what a product or platform offers is worth its price to you or it isn't. There's no shame in that either way for anyone. For example, I can't imagine buying a tricked-out gaming Windows machine. But I don't call *them* overpriced; I call *me* not-a-gamer. An even better example for this forum might be one of those plug-ins with a name that doesn't clearly signify anything intelligible because the plug-in is just an uninspired combination of ordinary effects you could chain together yourself (and package nicely in a Combinator if you are a Reason user :-)). Who would pay for such a thing, right? But for some people that package saves them enough time that they're not dumb for buying it.
Last edited by integerpoet on 08 Jan 2022, edited 2 times in total.

ShelLuser

08 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
But "overpriced" isn't a useful word in these discussions. It suggests an objective standard which doesn't exist.
Sure it does. Look at specs and then what people are charging for it. Or... look at what you pay for support and then look at what you get back in return if you actually need it. The 0,60 cents requirement I mentioned above was actually a recorded and proven problem for people who bought into AppleCare but instead of getting their product fixed (which should have been easy) they ended up getting denied service and instead got pushed towards buying full price replacements.

And this happens all over the place. In the Netherlands the Apple stores even went as far as to ignore and deny country laws with regards to warranty and insist that customers pay extra for warranty that they were required to give anyway.

Denying service which customers paid for is overpricing yourself, if not swindling people out of their money.

For the record: all above issues can be looked up online because they were well documented by consumer protection agencies (or whatever the name is). For the example in the Netherlands you can look up "Radar" or "Kassa" (both consumer TV shows which both covered the issue at hand).

And if I am so wrong here... then why did Apple change their policy ASAP when the above got out? ;) A multi-million dollar company unaware of the laws of the nation they're in? Yah, right!

integerpoet

08 Jan 2022

ShelLuser wrote:
08 Jan 2022
integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
But "overpriced" isn't a useful word in these discussions. It suggests an objective standard which doesn't exist.
Sure it does. Look at specs and then what people are charging for it. Or... look at what you pay for support and then look at what you get back in return if you actually need it…
I get the impression you've actually decided to try win an OS platform war. I think that belongs in the Kitchen or something? But I'm not here for it.

Goriila Texas

08 Jan 2022

Read and comprehend I never said you could drag midi in Rewire, what I said was it's not possible to drag midi from players in the RRP and that imo makes the RRP weak!, In Rewire you could send midi to the sequencer with a click of a button, it's a PITA to do with RRP. Nobody wants to sit and record midi in a host DAW live. I guess I can put you in the same category as those who never maximized Rewire using Regroove or piano roll with Dr.Rex amongst other things with a host DAW. Shuffle is nothing like Regroove. You could use Reason to stretch audio samples while synced to another DAW, if you can't see the power of TWO DAWs you didn't max out the possibilities of Rewire. I hate when people try to tell other users what they need or don't need and what's already in place is good enough.

ShelLuser wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Jan 2022
Uhm, dragging MIDI also wasn't a thing with ReWire, you make it sound as if it was. And no offense but... the RRP is a good substitute because the only thing that you're missing out on is the sequencer and the mixer panel, but those weren't really a thing anyway because ReWire only allowed control over one single device. If you wanted more you'd have to patch your way around it (which is why I came to love the virtual cables so much).

Eventually I ended up controlling a combinator by default and that is basically the exact same experience which you get with the RRP.

And more... because unlike ReWire the RRP also allows for MIDI to get extracted if you need/want to.

But seriously... how many people use(d) 2 sequencers at once? Maschine exists for over 10 years now (I actually tried the first model, and got a refund due to flakey hardware) yet here and now, after 10 years and 3 generations, most of the people using it do not use its sequencer. In fact.. one of the most heard "complaints" is actually that it's sometimes a bit of a hassle to route MIDI out of it.

While I do agree with you that ReWire was heavily underappreciated I also don't think it was the universal answer to everything either.

Purely looking at overall functionality I'd say the RRP actually does a fine and impressive job. They fixed the tab key ;)

Because as much as I love Maschine I'll also be the first to state that this isn't perfect either ;)
integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2022

Ah. What I was thinking without actually writing is that at least on macOS it possible to route MIDI between apps (just with the OS) and audio between apps (with third-party packages). And of course Link continues to be a thing.

<snip>

Thanks for the insight. With all due respect but Apple simply isn't for me, I can't help express my opinion that I think the whole product is heavily overpriced when looking at specific aspects (such as hardware quality or the poor reception you get at support who are more than often pushing you into buying a whole new setup vs. replacing the E 0,60 component to get you back up to speed again).

Of course, having said that I also recognize the advantages which the platform has. One example is shared by you above, I'm also aware (told & shown by a friend) that if you have Apple hardware then you can always perform a re-install of the OS no matter what, and all you need is an Internet connection. The install can be done remotely and without hassle because the hardware ID is all you need to authenticate your OS installment. Which, IMO, are some impressive feats as well.

Still... I prefer Windows and having full control over my hardware specifications and less costs for said hardware.

Goriila Texas

08 Jan 2022

Bro you got to stop thinking your way is best it's rubbing people the wrong way.

ShelLuser wrote:
08 Jan 2022
integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Sure it does. Look at specs and then what people are charging for it. Or... look at what you pay for support and then look at what you get back in return if you actually need it. The 0,60 cents requirement I mentioned above was actually a recorded and proven problem for people who bought into AppleCare but instead of getting their product fixed (which should have been easy) they ended up getting denied service and instead got pushed towards buying full price replacements.

And this happens all over the place. In the Netherlands the Apple stores even went as far as to ignore and deny country laws with regards to warranty and insist that customers pay extra for warranty that they were required to give anyway.

Denying service which customers paid for is overpricing yourself, if not swindling people out of their money.

For the record: all above issues can be looked up online because they were well documented by consumer protection agencies (or whatever the name is). For the example in the Netherlands you can look up "Radar" or "Kassa" (both consumer TV shows which both covered the issue at hand).

And if I am so wrong here... then why did Apple change their policy ASAP when the above got out? ;) A multi-million dollar company unaware of the laws of the nation they're in? Yah, right!

Goriila Texas

08 Jan 2022

Dude rubbed me the wrong way too thinking he knows it all. I've been drinking Tequila and got time today for the bullsheit.
integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
ShelLuser wrote:
08 Jan 2022

Sure it does. Look at specs and then what people are charging for it. Or... look at what you pay for support and then look at what you get back in return if you actually need it…
I get the impression you've actually decided to try win an OS platform war. I think that belongs in the Kitchen or something? But I'm not here for it.

Goriila Texas

08 Jan 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
07 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Jan 2022
ASIO supports a feature that's called multi-client mode. It's optional, but every interface I've owned (3 different ones since 1999) supports it. The first was a Terratec EWS88MT, then a Focusrite Saffire PRO40, and now currently a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen. I can have one DAW to output to channels 1&2 and another to channels 3&4. The use the driver's mixer utility to choose how those channels are mixed, and what outputs to send them to (different or same monitors, one headphone output or the other, or any combination of those). This is how it's been since that first Terratec. Also, with the Focusrite interfaces, the DAW outputing to 1&2 has that signal visible on inputs 11&12. So I can record what's playing in another program. Albeit at only 24-bit, and clipped samples really are clipped, so this isn't a an ideal alternative to ReWire (keeping on topic ;)).

I have just about every current DAW installed on my PC and Mac. I primarily use Reason, Studio One, and Reaper, plus iZotope RX for audio editing. I'm usually on my PC, and only use the Mac for testing Mac-only things.

Goriila Texas

08 Jan 2022

ShelLuser wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2022

<snip>

Yep you didn't maximized Rewire confirmed trying to educate me :lol:

DaveyG

08 Jan 2022

I also miss Rewire but I'm intrigued by this statement because it's the absolute opposite of my view on the world:
scdave wrote:
06 Jan 2022
I prefer Reason when making music, but for sound design I've leant more towards Ableton
For me Reason is about sound design and generating interesting loops, snippets etc and my main DAW (Studio One in my case but Live does see some use) is more about making music.

ShelLuser

08 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Read and comprehend I never said you could drag midi in Rewire, what I said was it's not possible to drag midi from players in the RRP and that imo makes the RRP weak!
Which is why I said that you made it appear as if...
Goriila Texas wrote:
08 Jan 2022
In Rewire you could send midi to the sequencer with a click of a button, it's a PITA to do with RRP.
You can still send MIDI into the RRP, and considering that it has no sequencer I can't help think that the comparison is kinda flawed.

However.. you also raise an interesting point (IMO at least) considering the fact that when looking at Maschine again you can actually use its sequencer to record MIDI from both the controller as well as the host (also when used as a VST). On top of that it's also possible to drag that MIDI directly out onto the host so that it gets embedded there.

But that also brings us back to the fact that the RRP has no sequencer, so no MIDI data to drag to begin with which makes the comparison a bit odd within context.

Goriila Texas

08 Jan 2022

The RRP is suppose to be the replacement or alternative of Rewire why wouldn't I compare them?? Sending midi into RRP is a given lol I'm trying to get midi from the players/sequencers out with as little hassle as possible.

Maschine again you can actually use its sequencer to record MIDI from both the controller as well as the host (also when used as a VST). On top of that it's also possible to drag that MIDI directly out onto the host so that it gets embedded there.

Exacly now you get it!

QVprod

08 Jan 2022

I'd agree, I wouldn't have minded Rewire if it had worked more like Machine. I still find a 2 sequencer workflow tedious so I've stopped using Machine's sequencer sadly (I love the swing on it). But yeah there are certain benefits lost to not having the sequencer in RRP that you have to find alternatives for. Regroove for one is hard to beat. I think Machine's swing almost as good but what's missing is having multiple grooves in the same song so that different elements can swing differently.

• Information