Reason Clock Issue When Tracking?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skie

24 Jun 2023

Hello, I've recently started tracking stereo guitar and noticed something odd - I have a Roland Jazz Chorus with 1 sm57 on each speaker, going into the pre's of a focusrite scarlett 18i20 (channel 1 and 2) that was modded by Black Lion Audio. I noticed when I record the mics to 1 stereo track in Reason 11.3.9, (no stereo fx, same dry guitar out of both speakers), the R and L channels line up perfectly as they should on the sequencer. But if I record each mic to separate mono tracks in Reason, there is a noticable offset of several milliseconds between the Channel 1 and Channel 2 mics, creating a slight comb filtering effect. The channels line up when recorded to 1 stereo track as I mentioned, but before I go A/B'ing new audio interfaces does anyone know what may be the cause of this? Could it be a Reason issue that I can fix with a setting change? Thank you!

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2023

skie wrote:
24 Jun 2023
Hello, I've recently started tracking stereo guitar and noticed something odd - I have a Roland Jazz Chorus with 1 sm57 on each speaker, going into the pre's of a focusrite scarlett 18i20 (channel 1 and 2) that was modded by Black Lion Audio. I noticed when I record the mics to 1 stereo track in Reason 11.3.9, (no stereo fx, same dry guitar out of both speakers), the R and L channels line up perfectly as they should on the sequencer. But if I record each mic to separate mono tracks in Reason, there is a noticable offset of several milliseconds between the Channel 1 and Channel 2 mics, creating a slight comb filtering effect. The channels line up when recorded to 1 stereo track as I mentioned, but before I go A/B'ing new audio interfaces does anyone know what may be the cause of this? Could it be a Reason issue that I can fix with a setting change? Thank you!
What version of Reason?
There used to be a bug related to this. Can you do a quick test? Compare recording with auto monitor vs no monitoring (I think that should reveal the bug if it’s the same). One (Auto Mon IIRC) will reproduce the bug, the other will record both channels in sync.

It’s channel 1 that’s messed up with the original bug, I reported it and worked around it by switching off auto-monitoring in the Prefs. Let me know if that works, and if you’re running a recent version I’ll re-file the bug report!
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

24 Jun 2023

Thank you! This sounds promising - yes channel 1 comes in later than channel 2. It's version 11.3.9. I was having latency issues with 12 when it first released so reverted back to 11. I will report back with test results.

skie

24 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2023
skie wrote:
24 Jun 2023
What version of Reason?
There used to be a bug related to this. Can you do a quick test? Compare recording with auto monitor vs no monitoring (I think that should reveal the bug if it’s the same). One (Auto Mon IIRC) will reproduce the bug, the other will record both channels in sync.

It’s channel 1 that’s messed up with the original bug, I reported it and worked around it by switching off auto-monitoring in the Prefs. Let me know if that works, and if you’re running a recent version I’ll re-file the bug report!
Update: you were right. Problem occurs with External or Manual monitoring, goes away with Auto. Going to go ahead and update to 12 again. Thank you so much~!

• Information