Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Heigen5 wrote:
19 May 2024
As you can see from the pic above, the favourite lists are still there.
This has been discussed before. The favorite lists are for presets in the preset browser. We are talking about favorites for the devices in the left-side panel (where the devices are). Several users, me included, have setup many favorite lists to group specific devices, like e.g., all compressors. So far, it appears that functionality is gone.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, here's a picture of my current browser:

2024-05-19 19_51_48-Window.png
Ah ok I see. Are you sure these devices can't be put inside the patch favourite folders?

Loque

19 May 2024

riemac wrote:
19 May 2024
timotheen wrote:
18 May 2024

I get why they introduced the floating browser for more features, but it's not making things faster.
It's great for all the extra stuff, but not for quick workflow in the rack. They kinda messed up something that, even though outdated, worked really well, in my experience at least.
If you were organized, you were able to stay focused in the rack and work extremely fast. They should at least keep the favorite lists and folders accessible right below where the devices are.
Can't wait for the beta, maybe I'm being super dramatic and it's not that bad... But that sonicstate video wasn't reassuring to me.

Fingers crossed
I really hope they doen't drop the favorite lists and folders for your instruments and VST's, this is very importend for my workflow.
The second thing I haven't seen yet is where the filters for RE's, VST2 and VST3 are?
I hope, all this hides behind the little triangle on the left side of the search field of the instruments browser (see picture)

Instrument Browser.jpg

What do you think?
Since it is the same symbol as in the browser, i speculate there are tags behind it. Well, maybe there is a tag for "Favorite"...
Reason12, Win10

Pepin

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Several users, me included, have setup many favorite lists to group specific devices, like e.g., all compressors. So far, it appears that functionality is gone.
FWIW a relevant question was asked on the second page of this thread:
MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Noise wrote:
02 May 2024
Can we create new tags for VST's or Devices ?
That's currently not in place, no. Device categories are read directly from the VST3 and REs have been categorized by us. In the near future, RE developers can categorize their own devices and Reason will read those straight from the RE file.
If I'm understanding right, it would would appear there's some non-customizable form of device categories, beyond the usual instruments/effects/utilities/players.

The VST3 spec seems to support subcategories, which Reason might be reading to categorize them. REs are already tagged with various categories in the shop, which RS could use to assign categories.

So there's something beyond a giant list of devices, even if it's not customizable.

riemac

19 May 2024

Heigen5 wrote:
19 May 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024

This has been discussed before. The favorite lists are for presets in the preset browser. We are talking about favorites for the devices in the left-side panel (where the devices are). Several users, me included, have setup many favorite lists to group specific devices, like e.g., all compressors. So far, it appears that functionality is gone.

Ah ok I see. Are you sure these devices can't be put inside the patch favourite folders?
No, I‘m not sure, maybe this is possible, but I doen‘t think this is likely.
For the workflow it would be more coherent and faster, if the favorite folders would still be in the instrument browser.

PhillipOrdonez

19 May 2024

I think the favorite functionality either remains intact, or it will be improved by tagging and it'll be faster to get to your devices now opposed to the way it was.

I remember in live with the latest browser features i wasn't all that happy with it at first but got used to the new way and it's all good now so it will be the same with this however it was implemented.

Again, everything done by keyboard is a huge thing in terms of workflow. 👍

Heigen5

19 May 2024

riemac wrote:
19 May 2024
Heigen5 wrote:
19 May 2024

No, I‘m not sure, maybe this is possible, but I doen‘t think this is likely.
For the workflow it would be more coherent and faster, if the favorite folders would still be in the instrument browser.
I quess all the devices that don't have load/save patch feature would be a problem. Only workaround would be put them inside a combi.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

Heigen5 wrote:
19 May 2024
I'm pretty sure, because the left side panel is now exclusively reserved for devices. Also, in all screenshots and video demos, there are no devices visible in any way, shape or form, in the new browser window.
Loque wrote:
19 May 2024
Since it is the same symbol as in the browser, i speculate there are tags behind it. Well, maybe there is a tag for "Favorite"...
Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
If I'm understanding right, it would would appear there's some non-customizable form of device categories, beyond the usual instruments/effects/utilities/players.
Mathias explained that already (I think it was earlier in this topic) that the devices can only be tagged by the developers of those devices. So, yes there are tags for devices, and no, this is not a useful scenario in this matter.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Pepin

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Mathias explained that already (I think it was earlier in this topic) that the devices can only be tagged by the developers of those devices. So, yes there are tags for devices, and no, this is not a useful scenario in this matter.
I quoted that very explanation in my post. RS has already categorized all RE devices, and VST3s will likely be categorized using the subcategories included in the VST3 spec.

It's useful in the context you mentioned of wanting a list of "all compressors", because that's exactly the type of device category that will be included even if they're not customizable.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
It's useful in the context you mentioned of wanting a list of "all compressors", because that's exactly the type of device category that will be included even if they're not customizable.
'Compressors' was an example, did you look at the image of part of my list? If we are talking favorite lists of devices, it should be obvious we want OUR favorite lists, and not RS ones and/or dev's ones. Favorite lists are a workflow thing, and workflows are highly personal.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Pepin

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
Compressors was an example, did you look at the image of part of my list? If we are talking favorite lists of devices, it should be obvious we want OUR favorite lists, and not RS ones and/or dev's ones. Favorite lists are a workflow thing, and workflows are highly personal.
I'm aware of the context. I was just pointing out there's an imperfect solution that is confirmed to be included and seems to have been overlooked in these discussions. Not everyone is the same, but I'm sure many do use device favorites primarily to sort by "type." The details of how RS has implemented that remain to be seen of course.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
I'm aware of the context. I was just pointing out there's an imperfect solution that is confirmed to be included and seems to have been overlooked in these discussions.
It is not overlooked, it is simply not what we are discussing, which is favorite lists for devices. It is not about pre-tagging by devs.
Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
Not everyone is the same, but I'm sure many do use device favorites primarily to sort by "type."
So how useful do you think a favorite category 'synthesizers' is, when basically every instrument RE will be tagged as such. Did you ever use the tags in the shop to find something? It gives a great example of how completely useless such broad-category tagging is.

I'm sure quite a few users have custom categories like I do. Because not only have others already stated as such, I got the idea for such categories from another user who posted his example list here on the forum years ago.
-------

PhillipOrdonez

19 May 2024

There's no way you can't create custom tags for devices. Nothing will be stopping you from creating a tag for all your vintage synths and one for your modern ones, etc.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 May 2024
There's no way you can't create custom tags for devices. Nothing will be stopping you from creating a tag for all your vintage synths and one for your modern ones, etc.
Nope, you are wrong. Here's the post from Mattias:
MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Noise wrote:
02 May 2024
Can we create new tags for VST's or Devices ?
That's currently not in place, no. Device categories are read directly from the VST3 and REs have been categorized by us. In the near future, RE developers can categorize their own devices and Reason will read those straight from the RE file.
So, currently even developers can not yet tag their devices.
-------

PhillipOrdonez

19 May 2024

We'll see once we're looking at it and how things work. I still see the favorites there so your lists will still work regardless.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 May 2024
I still see the favorites there so your lists will still work regardless.
Do you guys even read the ongoing discussion :shock:

This has been explained several times now: The favorites lists are inside the new browser, the new browser does NOT contain devices, the devices are in the left side-panel, the left side-panel does NOT have favorite lists. Ergo, there are no favorite lists for devices !!!!!
-------

PhillipOrdonez

19 May 2024

I've read all of it. I'm sure it'll be fine. Hopefully you'll get in on the beta soon and see for yourself 👍🙌🥳

Pepin

19 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
I'm aware of the context. I was just pointing out there's an imperfect solution that is confirmed to be included and seems to have been overlooked in these discussions.
It is not overlooked, it is simply not what we are discussing, which is favorite lists for devices. It is not about pre-tagging by devs.
Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
Not everyone is the same, but I'm sure many do use device favorites primarily to sort by "type."
So how useful do you think a favorite category 'synthesizers' is, when basically every instrument RE will be tagged as such. Did you ever use the tags in the shop to find something? It gives a great example of how completely useless such broad-category tagging is.

I'm sure quite a few users have custom categories like I do. Because not only have others already stated as such, I got the idea for such categories from another user who posted his example list here on the forum years ago.
I'm not sure why you're so insistent on arguing that my entirely good faith attempt at pointing out a partial workaround for some people is totally irrelevant.
I maintain that for some users, these fixed categories might help cushion the blow of the device favorites removal.
It depends entirely on the specific user and the quality of the categories. They're not necessarily taken from the shop (entirely my own speculation). But even if they are, categories like "Delay" and "CV" would still be useful.
I was not trying to dismiss your concern or start an argument... I hope you find a solution that works for you.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 May 2024
I'm sure it'll be fine.
Based on what? All the available (and factual) information points to the opposite. Mattias stated clearly that devices cannot be tagged by users. I'm pretty sure that if we could somehow use the new browser window for that, or we could have favorite lists of devices in the new browser window (as an alternative), he would have mentioned that.

You are clearly in denial of some very obvious facts :lol:
-------

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
19 May 2024
I'm not sure why you're so insistent on arguing that my entirely good faith attempt at pointing out a partial workaround for some people is totally irrelevant.
I understand where you are coming from :puf_wink:

The issue, at least for me, is that any non-custom alternative is in no way a work-around for a custom setup. And no, not even a partial one. Several users, including myself, have voiced their concern because they rely (heavily, as in my own case) on these custom categories. In that perspective, your suggestion has no merit.
-------

PhillipOrdonez

19 May 2024

I'm sure you'll find an alternative if things aren't working exactly as you hope. My point is we don't really know till we've played with it. Take it easy bro

ab459

19 May 2024

The most desirabe thing for me as for RRP fan would be ability to VST hosting inside RRP, dang would be really good. Otherwise, amazing modulation tricks topic (for VST) just not covered with rrp, unfortunately. Only inside Reason.

Neo

20 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
19 May 2024
Neo wrote:
18 May 2024
Thanks for sharing that video!

I'm 100% sold on this update, great work!
Bitte..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Neo

20 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2024
Heigen5 wrote:
19 May 2024
As you can see from the pic above, the favourite lists are still there.

Yep.
My Favorites List looks similar if not larger. The new browser workflow has now become my number 1 concern..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

cocoazenith

20 May 2024

The floating browser is a big concern for me too. I just cannot see myself dragging sample files onto sequencer tracks as quickly and intuitively as I do now from the left bar.

I also dislike the split sequencer and the tool window being moved on left of the piano roll. I disagree with all their arguments for implementing these changes. In fact i think its more intuitive to have the piano roll expand directly into the sequencer for keeping track on where you are and for quick editing. I always found the double-click (edit) plus [Esc] key (back to sequencer) combo to be unbeatable.

Besides this the split makes both sequencer and piano roll smaller. Working from a smaller laptop gets more difficult due to more screen clutter.

If RS are so much into getting new customers then why do they make their DAW more desktop centric rather than laptop friendly. IMHO someone on there objectively makes bad UX decisions...

Why change the things that were actually OK about Reason? :(

luckygreen

20 May 2024

ab459 wrote:
19 May 2024
The most desirabe thing for me as for RRP fan would be ability to VST hosting inside RRP, dang would be really good. Otherwise, amazing modulation tricks topic (for VST) just not covered with rrp, unfortunately. Only inside Reason.
Up until now I try to use Reason as a DAW to get more used to it. Every now and then I have tried the RRP inside of Ableton Live. One thing that confuses me with the RRP and maybe you and/or other RRP fans could shed some light upon: I haven't been able to activate the right sidebar (rack overview) in the RRP like in the Reason DAW. So I have to crank and crank the mouse wheel to navigate inside the RRP.
Rack_overview_sidebar.jpg
Rack_overview_sidebar.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Am I doing something wrong? Or is that an issue that's adressed with R13?
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

• Information