reason 12 early access

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

04 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
04 Aug 2021

They've got plenty of time, plus we've no real idea where they're really at.

It will be behind the beta.
You are definitely right about that, when Algorithm got released and Ryan did the video he was running an internal hd version of Reason way back then, also Nick let slip that he's been working with the new combinator a good few weeks ago.

Obviously the test pilots aren't going to let any secrets out and nor should they but it clearly shows that the beta and R12EA is way behind what is actually "ready" but you also have to remember that they need extra time to create content for the new features ;)

SINISTASOUNDZ

04 Aug 2021

Hello i started testing reason 12 today but im having an annoying issue.

My browser inside reason 12 is missing all words. There are only icons and no descriptions of any patch or names of anything??

Im using windows 10.

Is this a known issue??

I tried reinstalling but same problem??

Also all words are missing in piano roll area..around bottom of screen near start and pla buttons. All missing but they are there in reason 11???

jamespember
Reason Studios

05 Aug 2021

deigm wrote:
04 Aug 2021
jamespember wrote:
02 Aug 2021

PX7 along with the A-List products were discontinued at the exact time of the Reason+ launch products precisely to avoid this sort of scenario from occurring. In other words, it's not a coincidence that those products were discontinued when they were.

We wanted to make it super clear that, anything we make ourselves, with the Reason Studios name on it, is always included in the subscription. These specific products had licensing terms that didn't make it possible for us to include them in Reason+ because we didn't own them entirely ourselves, hence the action we took to discontinue those products before the launch. The result being, there are no Reason Studios devices that aren't included in Reason+.

Now, could a situation occur where we discontinue one of our own devices, (I dunno, say Pattern Mutator or Algoritm), that we own entirely - and pull it from Reason+? In theory yes, but it seems very unlikely and RS has no track record of removing support for our own devices.

Hope that clears things up!
Was it not possible to just rename PX7? Drop the reason studios name and call it 'Employee's PX7' and keep selling it separately?
Yes that was a possibility but it wasn't something either parties wanted to do.

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
05 Aug 2021
Whyyyyy 😭

RoryM0

05 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
05 Aug 2021
jamespember wrote:
05 Aug 2021
Whyyyyy 😭
From RS perspective they may have felt that PX7's continued existence would have eaten into sales of Algoritm.

sonicbyte

05 Aug 2021

I wonder what will happen with discontinued RE in the new Reason ? For instance I have the Cakewalk RE-2A, it will be updated with Hi-res graphics ?

Noise
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
05 Aug 2021
I wonder what will happen with discontinued RE in the new Reason ? For instance I have the Cakewalk RE-2A, it will be updated with Hi-res graphics ?
Yes. Even the rack Extensions from HAMU were updated.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

madmacman

05 Aug 2021

Noise wrote:
05 Aug 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
05 Aug 2021
Only uncertainty: If the developer made some minor mistakes and you see it as graphics glitches (misplaced elements, etc.). When the vendor went out of business, then you‘re out of luck.

Billy+

05 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
05 Aug 2021
From RS perspective they may have felt that PX7's continued existence would have eaten into sales of Algoritm.
I'm not convinced that they would be competing with each other as I have both and they are definitely different enough to warrant having both.

joeyluck

05 Aug 2021

madmacman wrote:
05 Aug 2021
Noise wrote:
05 Aug 2021

Only uncertainty: If the developer made some minor mistakes and you see it as graphics glitches (misplaced elements, etc.). When the vendor went out of business, then you‘re out of luck.
RS is providing some fixes. In the end though, we have the option whether to update each RE to hi-res. There's just no easy/clear way to revert back yet. Last I checked, if you removed a RE after updating to hi-res and then chose to install it, it installs in stages (standard build followed immediately by hi-res install). If you cancel when the second stage starts, you'll be back to square one with the old standard definition. Not sure if that has changed...

madmacman

05 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Aug 2021
madmacman wrote:
05 Aug 2021
RS is providing some fixes.
Oh really? That‘s good to know! Thanks! :thumbup:

scotward57

07 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Aug 2021
But if we can all refrain from making any personal attacks, that would be great :-)
That's a great idea. Let's try it. In the meantime, I'm willing to give RS a chance to straighten out the R+ disaster. Hopefully all RS are working overtime and coming up with a better plan. Hopefully they are coming to terms with where they really are in the music production industry. No more delusions about being some unique company from Sweden that everybody loves no matter how far they've fallen behind the times or how far they've strayed from their original mission. I warned them years ago when they decided to introduce Record, Rack Extensions, MIDI Out, VST and RRP. You either stay on your own island and maintain the most stable, and fast self-contained music production environment or you go out and compete 100% against the big boys. No half-ass efforts. But that's exactly what happened. Now nobody is completely happy.

If it's too late to catch up, then they should go the Camel Audio route and sell their code to the highest bidder. No shame in that.

DaveyG

07 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
07 Aug 2021
. I warned them years ago when they decided to introduce Record, Rack Extensions, MIDI Out, VST and RRP.
If you are saying you prefer Reason without all those things then I'm quite glad they ignored your warnings. Reason would truly be a sad little island with a sparse population. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AnotherMathias

08 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
07 Aug 2021
If you are saying you prefer Reason without all those things then I'm quite glad they ignored your warnings. Reason would truly be a sad little island with a sparse population. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It sounds nice to me. I think I would have liked it there!

DaveyG

08 Aug 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
08 Aug 2021
DaveyG wrote:
07 Aug 2021
You can still go there. It's called Reason 5 or thereabouts.

AnotherMathias

08 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
08 Aug 2021
AnotherMathias wrote:
08 Aug 2021

You can still go there. It's called Reason 5 or thereabouts.
Oh no, I’m not dreaming about going back in time. I’m talking about now, in an alternate universe where Reason had decided to stay with the original plan of being fully self contained and not get into the game of VST (I do like rack extensions though).

If they skipped on that, as well as all the silly ventures for portable devices, perhaps their (apparently quite limited) resources could have been used for some pretty nice things.

I’m fully aware that I’m in the minority with this opinion. Perhaps it would have sunk the company. Who knows!

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
08 Aug 2021
Oh no, I’m not dreaming about going back in time. I’m talking about now, in an alternate universe where Reason had decided to stay with the original plan of being fully self contained and not get into the game of VST (I do like rack extensions though).

If they skipped on that, as well as all the silly ventures for portable devices, perhaps their (apparently quite limited) resources could have been used for some pretty nice things.

I’m fully aware that I’m in the minority with this opinion. Perhaps it would have sunk the company. Who knows!
Nobody in the planet had the data required to determine whether their mobile ventures would have become major hits.

Nintendo can win big with the nes, SNES, Wii, switch and handheld lineup, but lose hard with the wii-u and n64.

You just can't predict as well as you'd imagine.

Who knows, they could have completely tanked with your recommendation.

Do you have any idea how their revenue compared to Ableton and FLStudio?

AnotherMathias

08 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
08 Aug 2021
Nobody in the planet had the data required to determine whether their mobile ventures would have become major hits.

Nintendo can win big with the nes, SNES, Wii, switch and handheld lineup, but lose hard with the wii-u and n64.

You just can't predict as well as you'd imagine.

Who knows, they could have completely tanked with your recommendation.

Do you have any idea how their revenue compared to Ableton and FLStudio?
True. And who knows, if Reason hadn't gone the VST DAW route, they might have used their freed up development resources to start some other foolish project, instead of refining and updating old-school Reason the way I wish it would have been done.

scotward57

08 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
07 Aug 2021
scotward57 wrote:
07 Aug 2021
. I warned them years ago when they decided to introduce Record, Rack Extensions, MIDI Out, VST and RRP.
No that's not what I said. What I said was at that time, Propellerhead Inc. had two viable choices. Either stay in their self contained bubble or go all in on the DAW war. What they did was try to cherry-pick what they liked while ignoring other trends, aka the half-ass strategy. That kind of business approach never wins in the long run because you end up annoying your customer base and will ultimately fail at winning over new customers. This is business 101.

Billy+

08 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
08 Aug 2021
DaveyG wrote:
07 Aug 2021

No that's not what I said. What I said was at that time, Propellerhead Inc. had two viable choices. Either stay in their self contained bubble or go all in on the DAW war. What they did was try to cherry-pick what they liked while ignoring other trends, aka the half-ass strategy. That kind of business approach never wins in the long run because you end up annoying your customer base and will ultimately fail at winning over new customers. This is business 101.
Clearly there was a 3rd option "cherry picking"?

I wasn't interested in using VST's until the feature got introduced in Reason and although I agree that it's a halfhearted implementation I'm still glad they came to the decision it's just unfortunate that it seems to have stopped there and instead of pushing for standalone DAW conformity they went completely off track and turned Reason into a plugin which at the time I really didn't see any need for but now that feature actually gives me the option to use all my favourite devices in any other DAW so it's actually very handy definitely not something that I would have considered but ultimately might end up using the most especially given the lack of standalone development.

QVprod

08 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
08 Aug 2021
DaveyG wrote:
07 Aug 2021

There was a third option: Rewire. Which is how a lot of Reason users used Reason once the self contained rack was no longer enough for them. I remember people leaving because they didn’t want to Rewire since it was tedious. They had to do some kind of blend of the 2 at some point since Rewire was an outdated concept. True we do end up with something that excels as a production environment but is just okay as an overall DAW, but going full on DAW just doesn’t work with the rack paradigm IMO, hence the marketing of Record being “not a DAW”.

I see the rack plug-in as a good move at least for the old Rewire crowd and tbh I’d own far less VSTs if the plug-in had been developed a few years sooner. That said I still think there’s a lot of potential here if done right. I recently got into NI Machine this year. Sometimes I use it standalone, sometimes I use it as a drum machine.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2021

QVprod wrote:
08 Aug 2021
I see the rack plug-in as a good move at least for the old Rewire crowd and tbh I’d own far less VSTs if the plug-in had been developed a few years sooner. That said I still think there’s a lot of potential here if done right. I recently got into NI Machine this year. Sometimes I use it standalone, sometimes I use it as a drum machine.
Same. I originally got it as a drum controller that could also do some MPC like sampling if I wanted.

When I tried RRP in Live last year it reminded me how much of a powerhouse Reason is.

Sometimes I would use RRP as an effects plug-in, and it was brilliant. Plus, having RRP instances focused on a single function made them easier to manage.

QVprod

08 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
08 Aug 2021
QVprod wrote:
08 Aug 2021
Same. I originally got it as a drum controller that could also do some MPC like sampling if I wanted.

When I tried RRP in Live last year it reminded me how much of a powerhouse Reason is.

Sometimes I would use RRP as an effects plug-in, and it was brilliant. Plus, having RRP instances focused on a single function made them easier to manage.
Yep, exactly. So many times I wanted to use a Reason effect but couldn’t without bouncing audio back and forth. Also helps not having to figure out which Subtractor you’re using with things separated rather than a whole song file. Reason still has a lot power.

AnotherMathias

08 Aug 2021

I tend to agree with most of that.
In fairness, wether staying in the self contained bubble actually would have been a viable choice (business-wise) or not, will forever be unknown.

Now, of course, they are doing the half-assed thing by splitting their attention between the DAW and the plugin. As much as I prefer the option to keep going with the DAW, if they won’t commit to updating and maintaining the DAW sufficiently, personally I’d rather they just rip off the bandaid and discontinued it, putting all their efforts into RRP instead.
Then I could at least finally stop waffling about if I should use the DAW or use Logic.

QVprod

09 Aug 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
08 Aug 2021
I tend to agree with most of that.
In fairness, wether staying in the self contained bubble actually would have been a viable choice (business-wise) or not, will forever be unknown.

Now, of course, they are doing the half-assed thing by splitting their attention between the DAW and the plugin. As much as I prefer the option to keep going with the DAW, if they won’t commit to updating and maintaining the DAW sufficiently, personally I’d rather they just rip off the bandaid and discontinued it, putting all their efforts into RRP instead.
Then I could at least finally stop waffling about if I should use the DAW or use Logic.
Doesn’t have to be an either or. Use both! That’s the beauty of it. I’ve found that no one DAW does everything I want anyway. 🤷🏾‍♂️ I currently use 3, (technically 4 if you count Machine) depending on what I’m doing.

• Information