Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
El-Maniaque

14 May 2024

Hello

I am a very visually impaired Reason user. I dream that this DAW will become fully accessible to blind people. I use NVDA software as a screen reader. I know that for a company as large as Reason studios, blind users are a minuscule number, but for these users it is very important that the DAW software is read by NVDA or JAWS. I would like to ask that Reason Studios consider this request of mine. Best wishes. Leszek Rudolf.

tewoc

14 May 2024

El-Maniaque wrote:
14 May 2024
Hello

I am a very visually impaired Reason user. I dream that this DAW will become fully accessible to blind people. I use NVDA software as a screen reader. I know that for a company as large as Reason studios, blind users are a minuscule number, but for these users it is very important that the DAW software is read by NVDA or JAWS. I would like to ask that Reason Studios consider this request of mine. Best wishes. Leszek Rudolf.
Sorry for my direct words, but Reasons essential bonus is the visible rack. I would recommend you to use a DAW that works and looks a bit more like "office software" e.g. Ableton. You can type in every value and I think it is perfect for your needs. However, i would post this topic in feature requests again and not discuss it here further.
Last edited by tewoc on 14 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Bixbambi

14 May 2024

I read all 21 pages! And many of you are pessimistic and that is understandable.
Personally, I'm very excited that the theme of Reason 13 is workflow!
We will have updates for two years adding workflow features until Reason 14 which will have another theme. And that is cool !
I was scared with Reason 12 which wasn't exciting. Forced to change DAW for 6 months until R12 was stable. (I don't want to go through that again because it's unpleasant to learn another DAW. That's why you have to sign up for beta to have a stable version when it's released.) Remember the construction site Reason 12! But at ReasonStudio, they managed to meet the challenge.
Today, Reason 12 is an excellent DAW. Reason 12 has been remade from the inside out to prepare for the future.
And the future is Réason 13. The workflow!
Why am I excited for R13 despite the few announcements we have so far?
1) The division of the sequencer in two with the integration of the F8 tool window. It is obvious that this will help with workflow and even musical creativity.
2) The modern browser with TAGs. Was it designed for a simpler workflow? To see during use.
3) The sound bank which is not negligible. I take !
4) The new Synth. I take !
5) The RIpley effect. I'm sure I'll have fun with this one and it will be in my future productions. I take !
6) Tools. It's nice to have these tools included in Reason even though I have others that do almost the same job. I take !

My visionary version of Reason 13.

1) R13 will be MPE! For what ? Because reason must be modern. Synapse software have released “The Legend HZ” synthesizer in partnership with Hans ZIMMER. And that this synthesizer is MPE. And Synapse have announced that the RE version will soon be released under Reason. And it is obvious that they are not going to release a restricted version for RE otherwise they will not sell it because we will move towards the VST version to use it on other DAWs in MPE. I will even say that The Legend HZ RE will use the new SDK which should include all the new features of R13 for developers. Quiz to find out if The Legend HZ RE will be a paid update of The Legend RE or will it be a new synth.
Are we going to have updates to our RE synths for an MPE version? This will depend on our RE developers. Nostradamus help me!

2)The piano roll. At one time, Reason's piano roll was one of the best in all of DAW.
Certainly, he is getting older. It has been in so many thousands of productions that it deserves an update. Other DAWs have surpassed it!
From memory and if I'm not mistaken, the developer of the superb RE player “Sequences” (Robotic Bean : https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequences/ ) has been working for several years at ReasonStudio. What if features would be included in a new piano roll? Nostradamus help me!

What I would like to have in Reason 13.
The list would be long like many of us.

1)The appearance of notes when you zoom in the piano roll! (With the Ctrl/Alt/Shift shortcut which doesn't exist in the piano roll!) Because I'm tired of clicking on a note and looking to the left on the piano roll for the note to light up to know which one it is . Or look above in the bar at the note display. In addition in R13 the note will be displayed even further to the left in the tools.

It will be an aid to musical theory to see all the notes to know what scale and chord we are working on. Especially when resuming an old project. It’s fun, like Reason!

2)Label improvements. Being able to take notes. A notepad!
Of course we have the TMA Commentators from Jiggery-Pokery-sound RE which are free. But wouldn't including it in Reason with other options be nice?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/browse/?q=TMA

Conclusion :
Having an improved workflow will be great.
I can't wait to test the beta version and report bugs for a stable release.
And I hope that ReasonStudio will listen to new features like markers, track folders, etc. :D
We will trust them since they have done a lot of research and discoveries in terms of design. And that they would have retained some of our requests. :thumbup:
Wait and see. :puf_smile:

tewoc

14 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
14 May 2024
El-Maniaque wrote:
14 May 2024
Hello

Sorry for my direct words, but Reasons essential bonus is the visible rack. I would recommend you to use a DAW that works and looks a bit more like "office software" e.g. Ableton. You can type in every value and I think it is perfect for your needs.
However, i would post this topic in feature requests again and not discuss it here further.

crimsonwarlock

14 May 2024

Regarding the new features in R13, this video suggests there is more than (currently) meets the eye:

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

El-Maniaque

14 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
14 May 2024
El-Maniaque wrote:
14 May 2024
Hello

Sorry for my direct words, but Reasons essential bonus is the visible rack. I would recommend you to use a DAW that works and looks a bit more like "office software" e.g. Ableton. You can type in every value and I think it is perfect for your needs. However, i would post this topic in feature requests again and not discuss it here further.
I invested too much money in Reason itself, as well as its extensions. It is enough that the screenreader reads all fonts in the reason and bubbles when you hover the mouse over the knob. I can handle it anyway, but it would make my work much faster. Currently, in order to see and read something, which I cannot do using a computer or control keyboard, I have to move my teeth across the monitor.

joeyluck

14 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
14 May 2024

Sorry for my direct words, but Reasons essential bonus is the visible rack. I would recommend you to use a DAW that works and looks a bit more like "office software" e.g. Ableton. You can type in every value and I think it is perfect for your needs.
However, i would post this topic in feature requests again and not discuss it here further.
So if we are suggesting people to just use a DAW that better fits their needs and to not post feature requests in this thread, have I got a suggestion for you... :lol:

Bixbambi

14 May 2024

El-Maniaque wrote:
14 May 2024
tewoc wrote:
14 May 2024

I invested too much money in Reason itself, as well as its extensions. It is enough that the screenreader reads all fonts in the reason and bubbles when you hover the mouse over the knob. I can handle it anyway, but it would make my work much faster. Currently, in order to see and read something, which I cannot do using a computer or control keyboard, I have to move my teeth across the monitor.
I think and hope that Reason Studios will fulfill your request. This is good because R13 is the workflow. And we must forget no one. Maybe in a 13.x version
crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 May 2024
Regarding the new features in R13, this video suggests there is more than (currently) meets the eye:

It's true that we don't know much about the road map of reason 13.
We only have 3 images of the workflow and it's setting the forum on fire. :lol:
So the wait is there.
It is obvious that there will be more features.
We didn't get any images of the SSL mixer
https://www.reasonstudios.com/new-in-13
The man in the video is right. Reason is awesome!
With each production, with each new piece of music created, we build a new studio! Of course it’s virtual but how pleasant and above all creative.
And today the sound is as good as analog with good plug-ins. Especially in a mix! :exclamation: :puf_bigsmile:

robussc

14 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 May 2024
Interesting! Looking forward to Ryan's exposé when it drops for us plebs.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

14 May 2024

robussc wrote:
14 May 2024
Interesting! Looking forward to Ryan's exposé when it drops for us plebs.
I'm looking forward to SuperBooth media coverage on YT, later this week :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

spacepluk

14 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
14 May 2024
I'm looking forward to SuperBooth media coverage on YT, later this week :puf_wink:
Same! I wanted to drop by and say hi but my week is looking pretty busy :(

ThuslaDoom

14 May 2024

The only things I was really hoping for were:

The ability to see notes in the piano roll like in Ableton.
Note folding like in Ableton.

Setting a scale for a project would be nice too.

I'm a guitar and banjo player primarily. I can "play" the piano in that I know what note each key is and al the music theory I have from playing other instruments. I imagine there are a lot of people in much worse shape than me, especially those that produce hip hop and techno garbage when it comes to playing the piano or inputting notes on the piano roll.

Currently, it's just super hard to see what you are doing, especially with the current sequencer coloring and the inability to just quickly see what note you are inputting. This may be a me problem because I suck at the piano, but it's common enough in most sequencers to have the note names on the inputted notes.

I couldn't care less about yet another VA synth or delay unit.

Oh yeah, and also the ability to put RE's on a separate drive. That would be a massive help for laptop users with smaller SSDs. Why have they never done these things? Who knows, gotta make Virtual Analog synth #383847373837 that will sound exactly like 15 other synths you already have.

luckygreen

14 May 2024

iTrensharo wrote:
13 May 2024
Decompressing and Decoding Compressed Audio Files takes additional computational work if done in real-time, unless the DAW converts Compressed Files to WAV on import.

Cubase will convert compressed files on import, for example. So will WaveLab. Samplitude Pro X defaults to doing this.

Lots of DAWs will do this because the compressed files are often problematic and it's a waste of compute capacity to have tons of layered compressed audio files being decompressed and decoded in real time.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why this is debatable.

There is a reason why Uncompressed files like AVI and WAV are a thing. It's precisely because it avoids the computer's need to waste resources Decompressing and Decoding. The larger file sizes are simply the compromise we deal with for those other benefits.

I am not saying you need to care about it, but those are facts. I was simply stating why I don't do it. Large HDDs or SATA SSDs to hold sample content aren't exactly breaking the bank, can be repurposed in new/additional PCs, etc. in comparison to CPUs that are obsoleted by MOBO/PC upgrades. Most people could convert to 320k MP3 or AAC and are unlikely to hear the difference between that and a FLAC file, anyways.
I'm not sure where you are going with this. Are you implying that lossless FLAC is lossy as MP3 or AAC? Because it is not. If you reconvert FLAC to WAV and phaseflip, both files will cancel each other out to exactly 100%. Or do a hash on both files. The hash value is the same. There is no loss in fidelity. A decompressed FLAC file is identical to the uncompressed source file.

Regarding realtime CPU work: There is none. FLAC files are decoded on import. It takes a split second. You won't even notice. But it saves half of your drive space.

So I'm not entirely sure what your point it.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

tibah

14 May 2024

This looks great. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Dafreeze

14 May 2024

having so much fun using microtonal scales with mts esp ive been considering changing daw because i can only use vst synths for using this system and it makes all Reason synths obsolete, although i dread the thought of learning it al over again haha. if my lazyness wins ill just keep messing arround and hope they implement mpe or so. but seems like a minor upgrade so far that prob not gonna be worth 200$. (ill upgrade in a sale probably anyway lol), i just love this daw (since v3) even with everything it doesnt have.

jam-s

14 May 2024

El-Maniaque wrote:
14 May 2024
Hello

This post might be of interest to you: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7533996

scotward57

15 May 2024

If you think the Reason community complaints about the R13 announcement are bad, you should go read up on Ableton Live and Logic Pro forums. You talk about negativity and whining about new features and so-called bugs. I've never seen it this bad. Maybe that is the nature of forums these days. People who would rather go on the internet and complain than make music.

These days I've actually gained an appreciation for what Reason offers and probably benefit from its so called limitations. I think the Reason Studios company does a pretty good job of adding features without allowing feature bloat to get out of hand. I could probably make a list of missing features in Reason that I have in Ableton and Logic and determine that most of them are features that I don't use a lot. I really thought I would use Ableton's session view and Logic Live Loops a lot, but it turns out that I use it way less than I thought I would. Blocks does a great job of rearranging and allowing for non-linear ways of music production. I thought I would really get into Max for Live, but programming a Combinator gets the job done and way easier to deal with.

I could go on and on. Reason is the one DAW that continually grows on you over time. Devices that made no sense or had any initial appeal have a way of becoming useful over time. Maybe it's my bias and familiarity with Reason.

supersmarter

16 May 2024

scotward57 wrote:
15 May 2024
If you think the Reason community complaints about the R13 announcement are bad, you should go read up on Ableton Live and Logic Pro forums. You talk about negativity and whining about new features and so-called bugs. I've never seen it this bad. Maybe that is the nature of forums these days. People who would rather go on the internet and complain than make music.

These days I've actually gained an appreciation for what Reason offers and probably benefit from its so called limitations. I think the Reason Studios company does a pretty good job of adding features without allowing feature bloat to get out of hand. I could probably make a list of missing features in Reason that I have in Ableton and Logic and determine that most of them are features that I don't use a lot. I really thought I would use Ableton's session view and Logic Live Loops a lot, but it turns out that I use it way less than I thought I would. Blocks does a great job of rearranging and allowing for non-linear ways of music production. I thought I would really get into Max for Live, but programming a Combinator gets the job done and way easier to deal with.

I could go on and on. Reason is the one DAW that continually grows on you over time. Devices that made no sense or had any initial appeal have a way of becoming useful over time. Maybe it's my bias and familiarity with Reason.
Just relaying the same experience here. No matter how nice things Live has I get to return to reason and appreciate limitations.

Kinda off-topic thought: I wish they posted at least a video or something on R13 before Superbooth. I feel kinda left out in away that they will be showing R13 at the Superbooth. So some random people stumping on their booth get to see on R13 before us, addicted users. Sounds a bit unfair. Ok they still have a day to post a video before that,

PGR

16 May 2024

I think the most addicted users actually travel to the Superbooth and visit the Reason booth :-) And what happens at the Superbooth, I am quite sure, is on the Internet as it happens.

supersmarter

16 May 2024

PGR wrote:
16 May 2024
I think the most addicted users actually travel to the Superbooth and visit the Reason booth :-) And what happens at the Superbooth, I am quite sure, is on the Internet as it happens.
Yeah sure. In the times of the internet, inflation, and major disparity in economic and social classes one has to travel to another part of the globe (literally) to be able to see something in a noisy booth. Doesn't make sense. Plus a dedicated video from Ryan in his room would be much more informative than a booth with people and a tiny screen being recorded with the phone.

Nah thanks.

jaeproduced

16 May 2024

Superbooth24 starts today so I'm sure the Beta testing should start either today or tomorrow...

spacepluk

16 May 2024

scotward57 wrote:
15 May 2024

Great post, thank you :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

16 May 2024

scotward57 wrote:
15 May 2024

These days I've actually gained an appreciation for what Reason offers and probably benefit from its so called limitations.
Last year I began learning a new DAW, LUNA. My observation at the time was thus.
If you want to appreciate your current DAW, try learning a new one.
And almost immediately after I realized:
If you want to appreciate the new DAW, return to your old one.

It cuts both ways. So far in my life I’ve used 8 major DAW/sequencers over the years.
Total Music, MIDI Paint, Master Tracks Pro, Studio Vision Pro, Pro Tools, Reason, Logic (partly), and now LUNA.
That’s not counting the Fairlight CMI, which was arguably my first “daw”…but I digress.

Each time I learned the next platform it was almost like starting over. There were new features to learn, old features to miss, and many many features for which I needed to learn new menu names, key commands, and workflows.

Each and every time I switched I sorely missed the lost features, adored the new features, and cursed the new workflows I had to learn (and the old ones I’d once learned that were now totally useless).

There is not one of them that was “the best”, but I also realized each had something unique to offer.
My takeaway: “the grass is always greener” applies as always. Every change you make, whether by your choice or forced by an update, has pros and cons. There will come a time when you’ll need to switch to a new DAW, or at least learn a new one in addition to your current DAW. There will be some elation, and probably some ‘tears’ (of frustration).

In the distant future I could see a world where we use AI to ‘code’ (build) custom applications, adding features by simply describing them. Until that day, we’re stuck with someone else’s idea of the “perfect DAW”, which means it will likely never be perfect for us. But we can dream… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

16 May 2024

Hmmm... still no SuperBooth 2024 coverage of R13 on YT :(
-------

spacepluk

16 May 2024

Too much hardware hahaha!

• Information