Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

24 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 May 2021

Exactly as Avasopht said right above this. Don't get too caught up in semantics. People are buying the upgrade to 12, pre ordering it if you will, with the added bonus of 11. I don't get why you are so reticent to admit this and trying to explain it differently. When you buy a plane ticket today to fly in 2 months, you are buying the ticket, even if you're not going to get a you paid for right the moment you bought it.
But they are not. They are literally buying R11! I've tried to explain...

And you just described a presale, which is not this. Your scenario would instead be, I buy a plane ticket to fly today and then I get a free ticket to fly in 3 months. I bought a ticket to fly today. I did not buy the ticket to fly in 3 months.
That's unless they bought the upgrade because it includes R12.

Their receipts will show R11, but their mind brains will know they got it because it includes a Reason 12 license.

And I'm pretty sure Reason Studios will be recording your R12 license in their record books.

Again though, distinction without a difference.

For example, if they turned around and said they changed their mind, no Reason 12, legally speaking they'd be in trouble.

orthodox
RE Developer

24 May 2021

It doesn't really matter what people bought, they paid money. There are moments when people bring money to RS, this time they made people who stuck with earlier versions bring it earlier using May Madness, like the window is closing and such. I guess, not each one of them would consider buying R12 later on Black Friday.

joeyluck

24 May 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2021

But they are not. They are literally buying R11! I've tried to explain...

And you just described a presale, which is not this. Your scenario would instead be, I buy a plane ticket to fly today and then I get a free ticket to fly in 3 months. I bought a ticket to fly today. I did not buy the ticket to fly in 3 months.
You're omitting the fact that they aren't interested in 11, they are only buying it to get 12 on release, making this a pre purchase with 11 for the mean time as a bonus... None of them would be buying it now if it didn't have the 12 upgrade.

When I bought 6.5 I only bought it because it gave me free upgrade to 7 and I only wanted the features of 7, therefore I bought 6.5 to get 7. This is exactly the same. I don't get why are you so against it.
Wait...so then you do understand? People who bought Reason 6.5 outside of the grace period (like me) didn't get R7 for free. We were not offered a presale to R7. We had to wait for the release of R7 before we could buy R7. We could not upgrade to R6 a second time to secure our upgrade to R7.

Reason and its upgrades have been on sale before. Grace periods to receive the next version have always been a thing. Reason, as far as I know, has never been offered as a straight presale (paying directly for the next version ahead of time).

I think the combination of the two (grace period and sale) is just really confusing some people?

Would there be the same complaints if R11 upgrade was still $129 during the sale, but included R12 later?
Would there be the same complaints if R11 upgrade was still $129 during the sale and did not include R12 later?
Would there be the same complaints if R11 upgrade was on sale and didn't include R12 later?

Maybe R12 will have a sale price for R11 users when it's released? Maybe there will be a sale on it in the winter a few months after? Maybe people on R11 can wait close to two years before they upgrade to R12 if they want to save 30% on the upgrade and receive an upgrade to R13 later?

PhillipOrdonez

24 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 May 2021

You're omitting the fact that they aren't interested in 11, they are only buying it to get 12 on release, making this a pre purchase with 11 for the mean time as a bonus... None of them would be buying it now if it didn't have the 12 upgrade.

When I bought 6.5 I only bought it because it gave me free upgrade to 7 and I only wanted the features of 7, therefore I bought 6.5 to get 7. This is exactly the same. I don't get why are you so against it.
Wait...so then you do understand? People who bought Reason 6.5 outside of the grace period (like me) didn't get R7 for free. We were not offered a presale to R7. We had to wait for the release of R7 before we could buy R7. We could not upgrade to R6 a second time to secure our upgrade to R7.

Reason and its upgrades have been on sale before. Grace periods to receive the next version have always been a thing. Reason, as far as I know, has never been offered as a straight presale (paying directly for the next version ahead of time).

I think the combination of the two (grace period and sale) is just really confusing some people?

Would there be the same complaints if R11 upgrade was still $129 during the sale, but included R12 later?
Would there be the same complaints if R11 upgrade was still $129 during the sale and did not include R12 later?
Would there be the same complaints if R11 upgrade was on sale and didn't include R12 later?

Maybe R12 will have a sale price for R11 users when it's released? Maybe there will be a sale on it in the winter a few months after? Maybe people on R11 can wait close to two years before they upgrade to R12 if they want to save 30% on the upgrade and receive an upgrade to R13 later?
I'm buying it as soon as it becomes available. It better have a discount like those on previous versions got it for during this sale. 😑

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2021
There will always be complaints.

joeyluck

24 May 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2021

I'm buying it as soon as it becomes available. It better have a discount like those on previous versions got it for during this sale. 😑
I waited until the grace period to buy R5/Record so I could get Reason 6 for free. But then Reason 6 was pay what you want anyways for R5/Record owners lol. I could've bought it way sooner! 😂

There are people who bought Reason 11 full price. There are some who got it on sale but outside of the grace period. And then there are those who got R11 on sale and within a grace period of R12. If it makes you feel better, regardless how you look at it, the sale price is for R11 and the included upgrade to R12 is for buying R11 within a grace period.

michael.jaye

24 May 2021

I wish I didn't install 11 when I bought it on sale. Just had Reason crash for the first time and lost a very decent track I was working on.

DaveyG

25 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2021
There’s a saying in Sweden...”Måla inte Fan på väggen.”. There’s a few variations but it basically means “Don’t paint the devil on the wall ” or in other words Don’t assume the worst case scenario before the fact. What’s the point? The worst case scenario is that you’ve gone 3 months worried, stressed, angry or whatever unnecessarily. Best to wait and see. There’s absolutely no way to know what they have in mind and we may be pleasantly surprised. Think the best and be angry when they screw you over. That way you’ll have had 3 months of being happy unnecessarily. :).
You are forgetting that I'm British. We're always cynical and we always assume the worst. It's our most endearing trait. :thumbup:

On release day I can't imagine them charging any less for an upgrade than they have in the past. If anything they are more likely to hike the price a bit to push us towards the subscription. But I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

I also wonder if you'd be so cool about this if the shoe was on the other foot. :twisted:
Last edited by DaveyG on 25 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.

bidaar

25 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
24 May 2021
avasopht wrote:
24 May 2021

I'm not missing anything at all.

Discounts are typically given to early adopters.

In the 90s you could order your games at a sizeable discount by making a preorder. It's one of the most standard promotions out there - buy now at a discount or pay the full price later.

So yes, pay £100 now to get R12, or £120 later.

Nothing new here.

It's a basic early-bird discount. See: Hubspot: Why You Should Use Early Bird Registration for Your Next Event
Except that the early bird option is not available to those of us who already owned 11. We'd be happy with an early bird option. RS have actually just done the opposite. They are rewarding late adopters!
+1
thats what Im talking about !!!! yeah its like its the other way around lol . people who have 11 have far more trust and confident in RS thats why they 11 and 11 suite owners ! but they dont even giving us the option to upgrade to 12 early .
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
25 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2021
There’s a saying in Sweden...”Måla inte Fan på väggen.”. There’s a few variations but it basically means “Don’t paint the devil on the wall ” or in other words Don’t assume the worst case scenario before the fact. What’s the point? The worst case scenario is that you’ve gone 3 months worried, stressed, angry or whatever unnecessarily. Best to wait and see. There’s absolutely no way to know what they have in mind and we may be pleasantly surprised. Think the best and be angry when they screw you over. That way you’ll have had 3 months of being happy unnecessarily. :).
You are forgetting that I'm British. We're always cynical and we always assume the worst. It's our most endearing trait. :thumbup:

On release day I can't imagine them charging any less for an upgrade than they have in the past. If anything they are more likely to hike the price a bit to push us towards the subscription. But I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

I also wonder if you'd be so cool about this if the shoe was on the other foot. :twisted:
I’m Scottish. You don’t get more cynical than that.
The shoe was on the other foot when they brought out Suite. I had 9 of the included REs bought at full price. So yeah...sometimes it’s just to accept it and move on with your life.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

25 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
25 May 2021
I’m Scottish. You don’t get more cynical than that.
The shoe was on the other foot when they brought out Suite. I had 9 of the included REs bought at full price. So yeah...sometimes it’s just to accept it and move on with your life.
But Scottish is British, at least for now. :thumbup:
And it's not ruining my life. Long covid and three lockdowns are doing that. :|

Yonatan

25 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
25 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
24 May 2021

Except that the early bird option is not available to those of us who already owned 11. We'd be happy with an early bird option. RS have actually just done the opposite. They are rewarding late adopters!
+1
thats what Im talking about !!!! yeah its like its the other way around lol . people who have 11 have far more trust and confident in RS thats why they 11 and 11 suite owners ! but they dont even giving us the option to upgrade to 12 early .
This is the dilemma.
Last edited by Yonatan on 25 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Loque

25 May 2021

RevolvingLongAmericanindianhorse-max-1mb.gif
RevolvingLongAmericanindianhorse-max-1mb.gif (248.08 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

25 May 2021

It's a never ending cycle really.

First, the old Reason users were upset that new Reason users got to buy the high value Rig bundles. And then those Rig owners were upset that new owners got to buy 11 Suite with it's even steeper discounts. And then the 11 Suite owners got upset that others got a 30% discount on upgrades. I guess some R12 early adopters will in time have a grievance too.

The only solution is to forget what others are buying, and simply buy the stuff you need for the price you are willing to pay, whenever that arises.

Ad0

25 May 2021

I really wanted the next update to blur the lines between real outboard hardware and internal devices.
Like having a RE/Device for audio I/O as a shortcut with roundtrip ping / latency compensation.
Right now you need to add x samples to compensate since Reason doesn't know your signal makes a roundtrip.

Studio 1 has their Pipeline, Reaper has REAInsert, Logic has the I/O plugin etc.

Currently using Reaper with the Reason VST which works great. Just wished the plugin itself could host VSTs.
So I am happy with 11, since no improvements seemed to be made in the areas I cared about :) I have 1440p so I actually prefer the oldskool rasterized look.

Skimrok

25 May 2021

Ad0 wrote:
25 May 2021
I really wanted the next update to blur the lines between real outboard hardware and internal devices.
Like having a RE/Device for audio I/O as a shortcut with roundtrip ping / latency compensation.
Right now you need to add x samples to compensate since Reason doesn't know your signal makes a roundtrip.

Studio 1 has their Pipeline, Reaper has REAInsert, Logic has the I/O plugin etc.

Currently using Reaper with the Reason VST which works great. Just wished the plugin itself could host VSTs.
So I am happy with 11, since no improvements seemed to be made in the areas I cared about :) I have 1440p so I actually prefer the oldskool rasterized look.
I did notice the price of Reaper is mega cheap compared to other Daws :geek:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Ad0

25 May 2021

Skimrok wrote:
25 May 2021
Yes it's very cheap, and you only get a nag screen if you don't pay. You can skin it the way you want, install addons / plugins to change the user experience etc.
It's MIDI clock is solid, the sequencer is good, and it works perfectly with the RRP. So I started using Reaper as the main DAW with multiple RRP instances.

It does everything I want. I mainly use it because I have hardware outboard FX and synths. It's nicely integrated in REAInsert.

Full Reason projects can get big and messy, but in Reaper you can just split each up in separate RRP instances. RRP is the greatest thing RS did!

Skimrok

25 May 2021

Ad0 wrote:
25 May 2021
Skimrok wrote:
25 May 2021
Yes it's very cheap, and you only get a nag screen if you don't pay. You can skin it the way you want, install addons / plugins to change the user experience etc.
It's MIDI clock is solid, the sequencer is good, and it works perfectly with the RRP. So I started using Reaper as the main DAW with multiple RRP instances.

It does everything I want. I mainly use it because I have hardware outboard FX and synths. It's nicely integrated in REAInsert.

Full Reason projects can get big and messy, but in Reaper you can just split each up in separate RRP instances. RRP is the greatest thing RS did!
thanks for the info :thumbup: when I have some time I'm going to trial it :puf_smile:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

tc13

25 May 2021

Ad0 wrote:
25 May 2021
Skimrok wrote:
25 May 2021

Reaper is really hell on earth. I have tried it so many times, even with skins it still look ugly as f! You spend more time fiddling with the program itself than actually doing anything musical with it. In a way it is like Linux, can do so many things but you have to spend so much time getting there.

And if I would like cheap I rather download Cakewalk...

The main reason I started to use Reason was for the hardware concept. I guess nowadays there aren't that many people coming from reel to reel tape decks, mixing tables, hardware in racks to connect, and all that stuff.

sdst
Competition Winner

25 May 2021

tc13 wrote:
25 May 2021
Reaper is really hell on earth. I have tried it so many times, even with skins it still look ugly as f! You spend more time fiddling with the program itself than actually doing anything musical with it. In a way it is like Linux, can do so many things but you have to spend so much time getting there.
I know what you feel, but when you learn to use it

you can't imagine the power of Reaper, it's like 20 years ahead of the others

and the interface I can change almost everything

Ad0

25 May 2021

tc13 wrote:
25 May 2021

And if I would like cheap I rather download Cakewalk...

The main reason I started to use Reason was for the hardware concept. I guess nowadays there aren't that many people coming from reel to reel tape decks, mixing tables, hardware in racks to connect, and all that stuff.
I totally see where you are coming from. I use the "I, Logic" skin. Learn to love it because it's extremely stable, performs really well, small footprint.
But as you say, it's like linux. You are on your own, and have to customize it to death to get an acceptable user experience :P
All I did was to change skin really.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 May 2021

Ad0 wrote:
25 May 2021
I totally see where you are coming from. I use the "I, Logic" skin. Learn to love it because it's extremely stable, performs really well, small footprint.
But as you say, it's like linux. You are on your own, and have to customize it to death to get an acceptable user experience :P
All I did was to change skin really.

That's pretty incredible!

Mike B

25 May 2021

sdst wrote:
25 May 2021
you can't imagine the power of Reaper, it's like 20 years ahead of the others
Would you mind saying what makes it so advanced ? I genuinely want to know because I’ve never used Reaper but hear bits and pieces of how much it’s versatile.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 May 2021

Mike B wrote:
25 May 2021
Would you mind saying what makes it so advanced ? I genuinely want to know because I’ve never used Reaper but hear bits and pieces of how much it’s versatile.
It's got a menu item for everything, even procrastination, which has 11 million options to help you decide how to not finish your songs 🤣

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
25 May 2021
It's got a menu item for everything, even procrastination, which has 11 million options to help you decide how to not finish your songs 🤣
IF not, you've just nailed the next April Fools Day RE: The Procrastinator.Now with over 11 million ways to help you decide how to not finish your songs! Available some time later…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information