Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
orthodox
RE Developer

03 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Why is RS not using their own web space to promote their own products?

I've been checking most days for more info about 12 beta and it's getting released on some 3rd party platform???
Do you genuinely find it odd that they are using social media ('third party platforms') to promote their products?
That they don't duplicate it on their own site. I don't have Instagram and cannot even see the video.

RoryM0

03 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
03 Jun 2021
That they don't duplicate it on their own site. I don't have Instagram and cannot even see the video.
If you say so. Some users seem to just be desperate to be upset about anything that does or does not happen with RS.

I don't have insta either, but I can see the video posted here. Maybe your javascript settings?

PhillipOrdonez

03 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
03 Jun 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
03 Jun 2021

Do you genuinely find it odd that they are using social media ('third party platforms') to promote their products?
I don't have an account on that disgusting thing and I can watch it here on this very site on my phone.

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Jun 2021
orthodox wrote:
03 Jun 2021
If you say so. Some users seem to just be desperate to be upset about anything that does or does not happen with RS.

I don't have insta either, but I can see the video posted here. Maybe your javascript settings?
Indeed it was them, some ...github.io domain that I never bothered to enable. Anyway, how am I supposed to be aware if I never visit instagram?

RoryM0

03 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Indeed it was them, some ...github.io domain that I never bothered to enable. Anyway, how am I supposed to be aware if I never visit instagram?
The only reason I was aware was because someone posted the video here.

Billy+

03 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Why is RS not using their own web space to promote their own products?

I've been checking most days for more info about 12 beta and it's getting released on some 3rd party platform???
I wouldn't say odd, but I would at least like to be able to see the information/posts on their own platform as I don't do antisocial media at all,

no fakebook
no bullsh*tter
no lock at me mar
no pootube

no nothing remotely like them I've never been interested in signing up for anything just because I want to read an article especially about software and definitely not on an antisocial network, I don't even like unsolicited emails and generally opt out as soon as possible from every mailing list that sends crap to me.

I don't do influencers I don't follow celebrities an I never listen to crazy people especially when they claim to be sane.

Call me old fashioned but I like to find my own stuff not get blasted with crap 24 7 from every direction.

joeyluck

03 Jun 2021

The ongoing beta was announced a while back, graphics testing was announced and launched in April, and those same testers are testing other things starting last week viewtopic.php?p=557775#p557775 You already know about the testing. Now they are trying to reach more people. Just sign up...or don't.

Mike B

03 Jun 2021

Maybe they haven’t posted the beta announcement on youtube this time because of the trending dislikes they’ve been having since Reason+. Understandable since it definitely hurts their marketing strategy.

But at some point they either have to be clear with their consumers and be more vocal about whether or not they’re prioritizing the plugin over the DAW

or

they need to listen carefully to their customers from now on.

That’s how you reduce the dislikes imho

SebAudio

03 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Jun 2021
And did I see animated device fans?
Let’s hope it doesn’t make too much noise ! :mrgreen:

bangaio

03 Jun 2021

I’m just jumping in here because - well why not but some people here get upset at any sort if constructive criticism of RS at all. Take their marketing discussed above. It’s just crap.

Bitwig announced V4 and here is the slick video (yes YouTube) https://youtu.be/en41BPCubUM

Or when Ableton announced v11 https://youtu.be/zAisG2rrH_Q

Both full mast on their home pages taking pole position. Look at us, look at our amazing product.

Even old reason versions had massive marketing launches. I loved the hype.

RS now just has a slightly too enthusiastic guy with headphones on just talking about things over and over again drip drip but no substance.

If you want to find out more just sign up for beta testing (but you can’t talk about it...) but hey not all of it is there to actually beta test just yet. What on earth?

Compare this with the months of build up to reason V1 with blogs, screens, audio clips, anecdotes. They had a marketing blitz now they have a marketing damp squib. I couldn’t be less excited about reason 12.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2021

Haters gon' hate.

Propellerhead is using social media because pound for pound, it's the best way to market a product.

Most people aren't logging into the homepages of every application they use to check for updates.

bangaio

03 Jun 2021

avasopht wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Haters gon' hate.

Propellerhead is using social media because pound for pound, it's the best way to market a product.

Most people aren't logging into the homepages of every application they use to check for updates.
No hater here. I bought rebirth then reason v1 on day of release followed by most versions up to 11 suite. Social media can be great but it has to be used well and understood and I’m not really sure Ryan’s studio is the best approach with nothing else left to back it up bar a few screens and a spinning fan - really?!

Social needs to be backed up with other marketing avenues but just compare the release of Ableton 11 and their YouTube channel and playlist on v11 before it came out. If they have a release date that start showing people stuff.

QVprod

03 Jun 2021

avasopht wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Haters gon' hate.

This ^. Perhaps it’s the age of forum members here, but when you want to get word out, you put it where people will see it. Only the super fans here check the website daily. Most people barely ever visit.

pquenin

03 Jun 2021

I think more appealing R12 videos will come later, it's a long way to September...

bangaio

03 Jun 2021

QVprod wrote:
03 Jun 2021
avasopht wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Haters gon' hate.

This ^. Perhaps it’s the age of forum members here, but when you want to get word out, you put it where people will see it. Only the super fans here check the website daily. Most people barely ever visit.
I’m not proposing people do that these days however if you compare their marketing when the web was still in its relative infancy and today its night and day different. Back the. They got their message out. These days I don’t know what the message is. Social is great to get a message out - I’m not sure they have one. When you compare the social media “campaign” for reason 12 and, well pretty much anything else across different market sectors it is decidedly amateurish.

Im 43, teach computer science and am bang up to date thank you. I have friends who work directly in digital marketing agencies, a brother who works in digital marketing for canon. I use Instagram and Twitter daily and as a benefit of teaching teenagers I see how they use platforms you probably haven’t even heard of.

Age has nothing to do with it. I am just fed up with seeing how this once great company has stopped getting their message out cleanly and succinctly or even knowing what their message is. When you compare them to their competitors on all social channels it looks like a bedroom outfit with 3-4 employees who have announced a product before it it ready to be shown to anyone. This is a far cry from how they used to roll.

The props of old were fun, a bit edgy, knowing and appreciated their audience. Now we get Ryan looking like some sort of generic streamer rambling on in an over excited manner without much to really say. I feel sorry for them to be honest.

bangaio

03 Jun 2021

And just to add if social media is the only way then they are way behind.

Props insta: 55.9k
FLatudio insta 291k
Ableton insta: 535k

Props YouTube 174k
Ableton YouTube 390k
Flstudio YouTube 516k

The video list on YouTube is particularly depressing especially the how to use the rrp in logic etc videos. Heck the logic one is running logic in basic mode it runs in when you first install it. It’s like they haven’t even used logic before! The rest is the sort of stuff you’d get from a bedroom producer.

The icing on the cake is the whole get reason 11 now and you can get 12 when it comes out. No thanks not if iuh don’t show people what 12 actually will be.

Social media may be the emperor’s new bollocks but the usual marketing rules apply.

Don’t announce or launch a product if it isn’t ready.

Carpainter

03 Jun 2021

What amazes me most about the Reason web site is how it has gotten progressively less usable over the years. I generally only go there after they announce an update, and it's always, without exception, worse than the last time I went there.

I recently decided to check the shop and couldn't find it. I had to leave the page and find it via a Google search. I've been using the Web for 26 years, and I can't remember ever having to do that before.

I really miss the official forum. It was a good, centralized place to find information. Now it seems like everything Reason-related is scattered in random places across the Internet. There's this forum, the Reddit board, various social media sites, Youtube, their web site. Finding information is like an Easter egg hunt now.

joeyluck

03 Jun 2021

People here already knew about the testing...so I am confused. They are spreading the word. I think people are just eager to find something to complain about? And most of them probably wouldn't be good testers anyways, because all they want is early access and don't want to actually test. Yes, you can talk about the beta in the beta forum—with other people who will know what you're talking about ;)

Thank you to all the testers out there who are eager to make Reason better for us all rather than complain about RS reaching more active testers by way of social media.

Faastwalker

03 Jun 2021

pquenin wrote:
03 Jun 2021
I think more appealing R12 videos will come later, it's a long way to September...
Same. This was just a short video to announce beta testing was starting. Not much else going on .......... yet. September is 3 months away. We'll see a lot more before then I'm sure.

joeyluck

03 Jun 2021

Yup! In the last video, Ryan said, "In the weeks ahead, I'll have more to show you about Reason 12's new sampler and all the fun we can have with the Combinator."

Not to mention they said some of the features would be rolling out to R+ ahead of R12, so aside from joining the beta to test, or trying R+ to play with the new features, we'll also be seeing videos from R+ users showcasing new features before September.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

03 Jun 2021

Carpainter wrote:
03 Jun 2021
What amazes me most about the Reason web site is how it has gotten progressively less usable over the years. I generally only go there after they announce an update, and it's always, without exception, worse than the last time I went there.

I recently decided to check the shop and couldn't find it. I had to leave the page and find it via a Google search. I've been using the Web for 26 years, and I can't remember ever having to do that before.

I really miss the official forum. It was a good, centralized place to find information. Now it seems like everything Reason-related is scattered in random places across the Internet. There's this forum, the Reddit board, various social media sites, Youtube, their web site. Finding information is like an Easter egg hunt now.
The apparent snubbing of 3rd party devs is probably the most obnoxious thing I've seen about RS to date. I have no issue with their subscription or software development choices, but they've intentionally excluded all of the third party developers to accentuate their subscription service. For those wondering, www.reasonstudios.com/shop will take you straight there but there's no mention of it anywhere on the front page unless you scroll to the very bottom to find "Shop" in small words next to a bunch of other stuff. I'm looking forward to upgrading to 12, but it looks like the devs have really become a 5th wheel to their plans.

QVprod

03 Jun 2021

bangaio wrote:
03 Jun 2021
QVprod wrote:
03 Jun 2021

I’m not proposing people do that these days however if you compare their marketing when the web was still in its relative infancy and today its night and day different. Back the. They got their message out. These days I don’t know what the message is. Social is great to get a message out - I’m not sure they have one. When you compare the social media “campaign” for reason 12 and, well pretty much anything else across different market sectors it is decidedly amateurish.

Im 43, teach computer science and am bang up to date thank you. I have friends who work directly in digital marketing agencies, a brother who works in digital marketing for canon. I use Instagram and Twitter daily and as a benefit of teaching teenagers I see how they use platforms you probably haven’t even heard of.

Age has nothing to do with it. I am just fed up with seeing how this once great company has stopped getting their message out cleanly and succinctly or even knowing what their message is. When you compare them to their competitors on all social channels it looks like a bedroom outfit with 3-4 employees who have announced a product before it it ready to be shown to anyone. This is a far cry from how they used to roll.

The props of old were fun, a bit edgy, knowing and appreciated their audience. Now we get Ryan looking like some sort of generic streamer rambling on in an over excited manner without much to really say. I feel sorry for them to be honest.
I believe how effective you think their social media marketing is, is a different conversation. The complaint was why the emphasis of a beta announcement on social media instead of the website. That’s what I was referring to.

However as far as their numbers go: Up until last year when Ryan stated doing the livestreams, they didn’t post consistently. Also keep in mind Ableton and FL Studio each have a larger user base. Makes complete sense.

As far as this video is concerned, it’s a beta announcement. Both the Hi res graphics beta as well as the Reason 12 announcement videos had already been released. What exactly are you expecting? Him to give general info about new features he already talked about?

QVprod

04 Jun 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Carpainter wrote:
03 Jun 2021

The apparent snubbing of 3rd party devs is probably the most obnoxious thing I've seen about RS to date. I have no issue with their subscription or software development choices, but they've intentionally excluded all of the third party developers to accentuate their subscription service. For those wondering, www.reasonstudios.com/shop will take you straight there but there's no mention of it anywhere on the front page unless you scroll to the very bottom to find "Shop" in small words next to a bunch of other stuff. I'm looking forward to upgrading to 12, but it looks like the devs have really become a 5th wheel to their plans.
I’m honestly very curious if RE or refill devs have really had a noticeable change in sales due to the website change. I have my doubts about it. Sure the shop could be better placed, but I think we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. The shop url likely autocompletes for the people who go there regularly.

Perhaps subscribers are less likely to buy RE, but I suspect RE sales weren’t exactly booming at this point either.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

04 Jun 2021

QVprod wrote:
04 Jun 2021
03 Jun 2021

I’m honestly very curious if RE or refill devs have really had a noticeable change in sales due to the website change. I have my doubts about it. Sure the shop could be better placed, but I think we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. The shop url likely autocompletes for the people who go there regularly.

Perhaps subscribers are less likely to buy RE, but I suspect RE sales weren’t exactly booming at this point either.
I have a feeling that Refills have definitely been on a downward swing based on some posts I've seen by creators. As for the main site, well, it definitely diverts any new eyes away from the existence of a third party ecosystem. There is definitely a lot of value to be had for a new user to subscribe to R+, why "confuse" them with other options.....

orthodox
RE Developer

04 Jun 2021

04 Jun 2021
QVprod wrote:
04 Jun 2021

I have a feeling that Refills have definitely been on a downward swing based on some posts I've seen by creators. As for the main site, well, it definitely diverts any new eyes away from the existence of a third party ecosystem. There is definitely a lot of value to be had for a new user to subscribe to R+, why "confuse" them with other options.....
A new user gets that lot of value all at once, they can't be confused by other options. Once they get it, they could attend to other things like RE. There is nothing more to get from RS at this point and there is no competition between RS and 3rd party devs for their wallet.

• Information