Reason 8.3 Official Public Test Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ncurry

09 Jun 2015

selig wrote:I'll try to put something together for non-traditional IR creating (ITB) which has many applications. I've got friends who create IRs and may tap them for some suggestions. 

The main concepts are the same as for any recording: instrument quality (speaker in this case), room position of the instrument/speaker, microphone selection/position/quality, etc. Probably best to use multiple microphone setups if you can since it's a pain to setup the whole shebang and may as well get some position options if possible.

In short, it's a lot like sampling, and the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" couldn't apply more in this case!
:)
That's awesome! I've read about the clapper method vs the 20Hz- 20kHz sweep method. I just didn't know what type of file gives the "best" results (assuming here that best means most realistic/true to the original space) as compared to experimental. 

normen

09 Jun 2015

normen wrote:Am I doing something wrong or is the predelay for IRs wonky somehow? When I sample an IR I always have a gap at the beginning in the visualizer (but the reverb seems to be immediate).

This is the gap with IRs recorded directly in RV7000:

Okay, expanding on this, when I DON'T cut the IR in the sample recording window I consistently get this funny behavior - the rest was my stupidness ;)

synaptyx

09 Jun 2015

Great! Glad to have the browser right beside my rack this time. Now, not for this version obviously, but can we have the entire rack re-designed as scalable vectors. I'm starting to have a problem with screen resolutions, eyesight and the tiny rack raster graphic buttons, switches, numbers and labels. ;)

Since Reason 1

Ixus

09 Jun 2015

Cool!  I'll be looking forward to the release!

Cheers to all the testers who help out! :D (And to everyone else who are like me and wait for them to sort out the quirks for us lol)

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2015

normen wrote:Am I doing something wrong or is the predelay for IRs wonky somehow? When I sample an IR I always have a gap at the beginning in the visualizer (but the reverb seems to be immediate).

This is the gap with IRs recorded directly in RV7000:

normen wrote:
Okay, expanding on this, when I DON'T cut the IR in the sample recording window I consistently get this funny behavior - the rest was my stupidness ;)
But shouldn't the display show the impulse for the edited sample?

ahs

09 Jun 2015

so i need 2 clicks as without the arrow !?

the blue border is the actual one

ahs

09 Jun 2015

rv7000 mk2

1. some wav files are to small to see
2. please let us have LF damp zero i don't want damping at all
3. what does the mid/side converting without discreet outputs ??

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2015

selig wrote:I'll try to put something together for non-traditional IR creating (ITB) which has many applications. I've got friends who create IRs and may tap them for some suggestions. 

The main concepts are the same as for any recording: instrument quality (speaker in this case), room position of the instrument/speaker, microphone selection/position/quality, etc. Probably best to use multiple microphone setups if you can since it's a pain to setup the whole shebang and may as well get some position options if possible.

In short, it's a lot like sampling, and the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" couldn't apply more in this case!
ncurry wrote:
That's awesome! I've read about the clapper method vs the 20Hz- 20kHz sweep method. I just didn't know what type of file gives the "best" results (assuming here that best means most realistic/true to the original space) as compared to experimental. 
I've used the sweep method and it seems to be better at representing all frequencies equally IMO. I'm far from an expert on the subject though, so take that comment with a grain of salt as they say.
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

09 Jun 2015

Just realized I can finally use drag&drop with the new rack browser  :s0221:

JoshuaPhilgarlic

09 Jun 2015

Gaja wrote:Is there no NDA?
It's a PUBLIC beta ;) !

Shokstar

09 Jun 2015

Did someone tried to mimic an IR of a Reverb RE like Tsar or Uhbik-A?

theohilton

09 Jun 2015

not latency . when things load theyre fine. just takes an extremly long time to get going aka loading time (devices ect)

electrofux

09 Jun 2015

ahs wrote:is it possible to have the blue arrow for midi focus by the first click.
Koshdukai wrote:How if that marker isn't there before clicking the device?

Wouldn't double-clicking the rack device be a more natural (and faster) action (GUI event) ?
That's what we suggested way back in the remote forum, didnt we?

Anyways, i guess when you browse the rack and tweak on this and that Rack Device with the new function, you end up with a pretty big track list? Wouldnt there be an easy way to get rid of tracks created by this or prevent tracks from being created ( though i guess the control focus is still tied to a selected track and therefore needs it).

Nevertheless i am so glad they did implement this feature.

First the ReDrum Remotes now this, thats two of my top 5 workflow request within one year!

At Vero Eos

09 Jun 2015

@LudvigC: great to see the Props guys around here! :-)

One thing i would like to tell and it would really help my work a lot. When i open a MIDI file and drag it to the sequencer, it always creates a new ID8. After that i have to move the MIDI track to my track and delete the ID8. This is especially a problem with your Propellerhead Drum collection because it contains a lot of MIDI loops.

So an option (like a check mark) if i want a new ID8 or not would be great, so i can move the MIDI files directly to my track.

theohilton

09 Jun 2015

mine just crashes (not responding) and wont load any devices gunna try downloading again  :s0826: :s0826:

Gaja

09 Jun 2015

theohilton wrote:not latency . when things load theyre fine. just takes an extremly long time to get going aka loading time (devices ect)
That is because it's a logging version. A part of the software is constantly noting what you're doing, so that if there is a crash or something, it can create a log file which you can then send to propellerheads for investigation.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Brian

09 Jun 2015

has anybody else problems downloading the beta? it's soooooo slow and the most times the download crashes at around 60MB.

tiker01

09 Jun 2015

At Vero Eos wrote:@LudvigC: great to see the Props guys around here! :-)

One thing i would like to tell and it would really help my work a lot. When i open a MIDI file and drag it to the sequencer, it always creates a new ID8. After that i have to move the MIDI track to my track and delete the ID8. This is especially a problem with your Propellerhead Drum collection because it contains a lot of MIDI loops.

So an option (like a check mark) if i want a new ID8 or not would be great, so i can move the MIDI files directly to my track.
I think they will implement it sooner or later. They said that they didn't have time to do it until the release of Reason 8.0.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

esselfortium

09 Jun 2015

Seconded. The current behavior makes midi import a bit of a nuisance, and being able to select preexisting tracks to import to (or in the case of single-track midis, just dump it onto the selected track) would be a huge improvement.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

pinton

09 Jun 2015

Does anyone know what the Decay, HF Damp and Dry/Wet knobs should be set to, to get the exact reverb effect as heard in the IR response file?

odarellmc

09 Jun 2015

I can tell right now that the browser need to be accessible from any window,  including the mixer, there are still mixer presets that use the browser.

Majestik Monkey

09 Jun 2015

Not Beta testing , just waiting & listening/Reading , Is there [ Sync to Host ] Browser yet ? 

riemac

09 Jun 2015

Yes, I would like this as well. This is bugging me all the time when I Import midi.

tiker01

09 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:Drag and drop bug with RV7000?

When dragging and dropping other samples onto the RV7000 while it is processing audio, there is a noise/spike in the audio (when first hovering/highlighting the RV7000).

This is before the RV7000 loads the new sample (before releasing the click to drop the sample onto the device). There is no noise when loading the new sample—just when first hovering with the new sample.
If you have the smallest suspicion report it as bug! RV7000 MKII does some calculations when in convolution mode if parameters adjusted/automated but this might be completly unrelated. BTW it might b due to the logging code.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

JoshuaPhilgarlic

09 Jun 2015

Wow, for me selecting MIDI focus in the rack is the best workflow improvement in R8 so far :) !!!!

• Information