Reason 9 doesn't start after Windows 10 update, missing dll files

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bunkerpants

29 Aug 2016

Hi! This morning I updated my Windows and after that Reason 9 (or 8) doesn't start, stating that I'm missing dll files MFReadWrite.dll and MFPLat.DLL. I googled the problem and people suggested downloading the newest Media Feature Pack (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48231) which I did.

I've restarted Windows multiple times but the problem still persists and apparently my google skills are not good enough. Does anyone know the solution to this problem? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Went back to an earlier build of Windows, things are working again. Time to work on some music!

Ostermilk

29 Aug 2016

This happened to me after the Anniversary update of W10.

All I did in my case to cure it was uninstall Reason 9 AND Authorizer then re-install. It seems important to uninstall Authorizer seperately, from Windows Settings/Apps & Features page, as I tried just re-installing Reason without removing Authorizer first and I got no joy.

The thing about that update is that it is in effect a complete in place re-install of Windows so I expected a few issues after install, but aside from Reason needing reinstallation and a couple of plug-ins needing re-authorizing it was pretty painless.

bunkerpants

29 Aug 2016

Thank you for your help! I'll probably have to do that at some point because Windows often forces its updates.

Should I back up my .rns and .reason files or are they unaffected by the uninstall?

kuhliloach

29 Aug 2016

Windows 7 user here, but just based on instinct I recommend removing your previous Reason installation, doing the big Windows update, then re-installing.

Unrelated I once lost a Reason local computer authorization because I forgot to do a proper removal of it before doing a system wipe; Propellerhead support staff helped fix the issue.

.RNS and .REASON files should always be backed up, and hopefully not located in the Reason software folder, but on another drive somewhere.

AttenuationHz

29 Aug 2016

bunkerpants wrote:Thank you for your help! I'll probably have to do that at some point because Windows often forces its updates.

Should I back up my .rns and .reason files or are they unaffected by the uninstall?
Back up your favorites folder first. The .reason files shouldn't be affected but the favorites folder might. Be a good idea to have .rns/.reason backed up anyway.

.favo files found @:
C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

JCBendock

29 Aug 2016

I had the same error with another program, re-installing didn't work. I ended up making a full backup and doing a fresh install on a clean drive. That's usually the best way to handle a new OS . The one time I broke the rule it bit me. Needless to say fresh installs always make the system purr like new and can save you a lot of frustrations down the line. It's such a chore but I'm now glad I did it.

bunkerpants

30 Aug 2016

Thanks for the tips!

Ostermilk

30 Aug 2016

@Bunkerpants the suggestion of downloading and installing the media features pack is a good one for anyone that might be using N or KN editions of Windows.

Simply uninstalling Authorizer and then re-running the Reason installer worked for me.

Hope you get it fixed, try raising Props support if you are still stuck though.

btw Welcome to the forum... :)

• Information