Balance audio interface.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2016

Does anyone still use it?
Mine is just now starting to give me troubles. Why did ph stop making it?

Kenni
Site Admin

26 Oct 2016

I am, and had no issues with it so far, even on Windows 10
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

eiresurfer

26 Oct 2016

I have one, never had any issues, and really like it.

Wild guess as to why PH stopped making it: it simply wasn't turning a profit for them, so they stopped?

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2016

eiresurfer wrote:I have one, never had any issues, and really like it.

Wild guess as to why PH stopped making it: it simply wasn't turning a profit for them, so they stopped?
Makes sense. Sorta wish that they kept making it though because now I have no idea where to start when I need a new audio interface.

Scoobyman II

26 Oct 2016

I'm still using it. It's only done something strange once.

sumusik

26 Oct 2016

I'm also still using it. No problems yet.

Gorgon

26 Oct 2016

Advanced Suite wrote:

Makes sense. Sorta wish that they kept making it though because now I have no idea where to start when I need a new audio interface.
This forum is a good place to start. :P
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Rickyd Dee

26 Oct 2016

Mines still kool, never no problem. :)
Reason 9 / :PUF_balance: / :re: / :refill:

PSoames

27 Oct 2016

Still using mine. It has been faultless.

Hmm! Maybe I've cursed it now!

Lov2sing

27 Oct 2016

I have to unplug and plug it back into my Mac because it loses its connection but other than that it's fine. Could also be my Mac is getting old and needs to be changed. I did wonder why Props was promoting the Focusrite interfaces but it's really good depending which series you get. Other than that Props had a good system and I would buy another if they continued to make them.
We make music for a reason

pushedbutton

27 Oct 2016

Kenni wrote:I am, and had no issues with it so far, even on Windows 10
Since I got a new PC I've got an 8/10 chance of a BSOD.
Which motherboard do you use? Mine's a Gigabyte Z170X-G1 and it doesn't like Balance.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Kenni
Site Admin

27 Oct 2016

pushedbutton wrote:
Which motherboard do you use? Mine's a Gigabyte Z170X-G1 and it doesn't like Balance.
I'm using an Asus G56jk gaming laptop, so not quite sure tbh :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Palmeira

27 Oct 2016

Lov2sing wrote:I have to unplug and plug it back into my Mac because it loses its connection but other than that it's fine. Could also be my Mac is getting old and needs to be changed. I did wonder why Props was promoting the Focusrite interfaces but it's really good depending which series you get. Other than that Props had a good system and I would buy another if they continued to make them.
I'm on win 10 and have to unplug it and plug it back in also. Occasionally I can change the audio settings in Reason to something else and back again and that brings it to life but the unplugging and plugging back in is obviously not a good thing for the wellbeing of the device!

Lov2sing

28 Oct 2016

Palmeira wrote:
Lov2sing wrote:I have to unplug and plug it back into my Mac because it loses its connection but other than that it's fine. Could also be my Mac is getting old and needs to be changed. I did wonder why Props was promoting the Focusrite interfaces but it's really good depending which series you get. Other than that Props had a good system and I would buy another if they continued to make them.
I'm on win 10 and have to unplug it and plug it back in also. Occasionally I can change the audio settings in Reason to something else and back again and that brings it to life but the unplugging and plugging back in is obviously not a good thing for the wellbeing of the device!
Okay then it is my unit that is going bad. I had it for 3 years and use it everyday so maybe I got my monies worth however I have a serious project to do in the next few weeks and will opt to get a new unit. Other than that it has been flawless and I wish they would create an up-grade for this devise because the clip safe feature alone is an innovation the others do not have. Buying a interface is cheaper than buying a new Mac so I cannot complain. I will keep it and give myself four channels inputs. :puf_smile:
We make music for a reason

PGR

28 Oct 2016

Four reasons to keep the Balance:
1. Clip Safe
2. The build in copy protection
3. The design
4. The design

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2016

I am super bummed and happy to see that people are having the same problems I am....
Sounds starts cutting out, I unplug balance and vuala balance is working perfectly again.
my big concern at this point is.... am I hearing the audio the way its supposed to be.
After an unplug everything "seems" to be sounding great and seems to sound great all the way up until the audio starts cutting out again. but there is no way for me to be sure since I can't bypass/A - B the two.
I got the balance because I assumed that PH made the best audio interface for their product...

so since they are not making it anymore does anybody have an idea of what is a close second to balance?

jengstrom
Reason Studios

28 Oct 2016

pushedbutton wrote:
I also get the BSOD on Windows 10 on my workstation nowadays, and have not had time to troubleshoot it.
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 instead for now.

If it stops working and works after being unplugged + plugged back in, and it's not after a DAW-crash, you could try a USB 2.0 powered hub, because it might not be getting enough power from the USB port.

The symptoms I see look the same as what you can get on Windows 7, which was caused by some 3rd party power management related drivers. The best chance to make it run smoothly might thus be to uninstall any manually installed drivers for the chipset, USB stuff and power management, and use Windows update / WHQL drivers only for that. No guarantees unfortunately.

It would not make sense to try and update the Balance drivers for Windows, as they are not in development at all anymore. On Mac OS X Balance uses the included generic USB 2.0 Audio Device Class driver. A generic USB 2.0 ADC driver would work for Windows too - if only there was a free one. (Linux is not officially supported but the included class driver works there too - but the input selection buttons might not start unless the USB human interface device in Balance is opened/closed once.)

jonheal

28 Oct 2016

jengstrom wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:
I also get the BSOD on Windows 10 on my workstation nowadays, and have not had time to troubleshoot it.
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 instead for now.

If it stops working and works after being unplugged + plugged back in, and it's not after a DAW-crash, you could try a USB 2.0 powered hub, because it might not be getting enough power from the USB port.

The symptoms I see look the same as what you can get on Windows 7, which was caused by some 3rd party power management related drivers. The best chance to make it run smoothly might thus be to uninstall any manually installed drivers for the chipset, USB stuff and power management, and use Windows update / WHQL drivers only for that. No guarantees unfortunately.

It would not make sense to try and update the Balance drivers for Windows, as they are not in development at all anymore. On Mac OS X Balance uses the included generic USB 2.0 Audio Device Class driver. A generic USB 2.0 ADC driver would work for Windows too - if only there was a free one. (Linux is not officially supported but the included class driver works there too - but the input selection buttons might not start unless the USB human interface device in Balance is opened/closed once.)
I got semi-now-and-then BSODs with my Scarlett 2i2, so now I use a PreSonus iOne. There is no peace with computers. :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

sonicbyte

28 Oct 2016

Had it for a fews months on a macbookpro ... No issues, works perfect on El Capitan

TheGuyNotNamedBob

28 Oct 2016

Advanced Suite wrote:

I have a Scarlett 2i2 and really like it. If you enjoy more inputs, maybe grab a 6i6 or higher.

SebAudio

31 Oct 2016

Is anybody using it with MacOS Sierra ? I didn't find any statement about Balance and Sierra on PH web site. Thank you !

pushedbutton

02 Nov 2016

I've been talking to Gigabyte about usb drivers and they recommend installing the Intel Management Engine Components. This has been a bit of a pain in the arse as trying to do that brings up 'Fatal Error' so it doesn't install.
I'm also on the release version of the bios and they've suggested updating that but I'd rather take it back to the shop and let them take the risk. I sheepishly attempted a bios upgrade using the gigabyte app and windows just sat there not responding for a while before not dong anything. Thankfully it booted up after hitting the power button but at that point I decided it's someone else's problem.
It'll be a shame if I have to get a new sound card cos I like the Balance.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

vectro

02 Nov 2016

SebAudio wrote:Is anybody using it with MacOS Sierra ? I didn't find any statement about Balance and Sierra on PH web site. Thank you !
I'm using it on El Capitan, but I don't think it should be any worries with macOS as long as the unit is working. It is CoreAudio compatible and requires no drivers.

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2016

SebAudio wrote:Is anybody using it with MacOS Sierra ? I didn't find any statement about Balance and Sierra on PH web site. Thank you !
I am now using it with sierra. Been using sierra with balance for about 2 weeks
No problems yet. Actually seems to be working better now that I have updated to sierra

• Information