Reason Sound Quality

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Minimalize

05 Jan 2017

I have read countless discussions on the sound quality of Reason, and tonight as a result of weeks of frustration I was messing around on Ableton with some pads and synths and couldn't help but notice that the sound quality seemed so much more fuller and stronger than Reasons. What do you guys think?

I am currently debating whether or not to upgrade to Reason 9 within the next month or so, I'm having tremendous writer's block at the moment but I think it's about time to upgrade.

esselfortium

05 Jan 2017

Be sure to match levels when comparing the fullness of different sounds, as volume discrepancies can easily mislead us into thinking something sounds better or worse.

In a technical sense, Reason's sound is as crisp and clear as any other modern audio software, and claims to the contrary have been debunked countless times. In terms of synths specifically, I'm fond of Reason's stock devices myself, but nowadays you have so many other options with great synths like The Legend, eXpanse, and the soon-to-be-released port of Spire -- there are some great options for third-party synths in Reason that rival anything else on the market.

In a personal sense, if Ableton Live is giving you an easier time getting the sounds you're after, Reason's workflow might just not be suited to you, and that's okay! If you're struggling to get the results you want in in Reason, but Ableton feels more like home, then the best course of action is probably to not fight it and just go with what will get you making the tunes you want with less stress :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Minimalize

05 Jan 2017

I may have to upgrade to Reason 9 and try out some of the third party stuff. I am running build 7 at the moment. I don't want to have to switch to Ableton, but even with the levels of stuff, I notice that everything is automatically louder in other programs than in Reason, and I'm having a few problems making stuff sound as loud which I've discussed in previous threads.

It's looking very likely I'll get Reason 9 though at this rate, I have been working with Reason since version 5 and find it by far the easiest to use.

nooomy

05 Jan 2017

Minimalize wrote:I may have to upgrade to Reason 9 and try out some of the third party stuff. I am running build 7 at the moment. I don't want to have to switch to Ableton, but even with the levels of stuff, I notice that everything is automatically louder in other programs than in Reason, and I'm having a few problems making stuff sound as loud which I've discussed in previous threads.

It's looking very likely I'll get Reason 9 though at this rate, I have been working with Reason since version 5 and find it by far the easiest to use.
Give me a patch in ableton and I can replicate it in reason.

If things are louder in other programs u should try to increase the master volume in reason or on your soundcard.

If it's about loudness you need to learn about compression. Playaround with the master compressor or a maximized

If you don't want to learn new stuff just use the new patches in reason 9, they are all drenched in reverb, delay and compression and sound "good" in a way you might like

Although in the end it's all about which daw you have the most fun in. If you have fun = you produce more

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

Minimalize wrote:I have read countless discussions on the sound quality of Reason, and tonight as a result of weeks of frustration I was messing around on Ableton with some pads and synths and couldn't help but notice that the sound quality seemed so much more fuller and stronger than Reasons. What do you guys think?

I am currently debating whether or not to upgrade to Reason 9 within the next month or so, I'm having tremendous writer's block at the moment but I think it's about time to upgrade.
Sounds more like you're comparing plugins, not DAWs?
Selig Audio, LLC

Noplan
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2017

motuscott

05 Jan 2017

Buckle up, kids.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

motuscott wrote:Buckle up, kids.
Hopefully we won't go there. Hopefully…
Selig Audio, LLC

HepCat

05 Jan 2017

Isn't there a scientific algorithm in place for faithfully making the comparison (regardless of DAW)? It would save a lot of discussion.

Also need a template for bug reports, with a "thanks :)" at the end so nobody gets irate and the bug reporter just fills in the dotted lines and nothing else.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2017

Here you go. It's pretty much the same topic. You'll find everything you need, including the obligatory forum arguing :)

The thread is called "Fighting with Reason".

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7497521

Enjoy!

normen

05 Jan 2017

Ostermilk

05 Jan 2017

HepCat wrote:Isn't there a scientific algorithm in place for faithfully making the comparison (regardless of DAW)? It would save a lot of discussion.
You think?

There is such an approach which is called 'differencing' where one digital file is compared against another often in the form of a 'null test' however absolute proof is no match for imagined warmth, fullness, phatness, strength, colour, extra-dimensions, motowness, thickness, fluffy kitteness, unicornery, just watch and see... :puf_bigsmile:

Meantime I'm just going to share NoPlan's popcorn whilst heeding Motuscott's advice.

chimp_spanner

05 Jan 2017

I think the 'mistake' is in describing problems people might have with Reason (even legitimate ones), as problems with the quality of Reason's sound. There's a big difference. I think it's pretty well established that Reason will play back what you put into it as well as any other DAW, and if there are any differences/abnormalities/anomalies, they're most certainly inaudible. If you're curious, brave, or just enjoy pain, take a look at the last mega thread!

Now on the other hand, it might just be that the OP is more comfortable working with the plugins and synths available in Ableton. Ultimately that's a subjective (and totally valid) conclusion to reach. The objective truth is that any VST capable host will make sounds that Reason can't, because Reason doesn't have VSTs. But the pendulum swings both ways, because other DAWs don't have REs, or insane audio/CV patching, or automation that makes a damn bit of sense :)

I mean when I want really high quality sampled stuff, I work in Cubase. Not because it mixes my tracks better but because there's nothing like Kontakt (and for that matter most of Komplete) in Reason...yet. I live in hope!

And when I want to get knee deep in CV cables and create electronic music or sound design with near-limitless freedom, I use Reason. It's not a case of better, but just different.

Obviously I will recommend that you give R9 a fair crack because I think it's great, and a different environment might prove to be inspiring depending on what it is you want to do.

On the other hand, whatever's preventing you from writing now might well follow you to a new DAW. So just don't have any expectations that you can buy a solution to writers block. Because you can't. If you could...I'd be shoving money into every opening in my laptop right now :lol:

FlowerSoldier

05 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:If you could...I'd be shoving money into every opening in my laptop right now :lol:
If only it was that simple...
I think Chimp is right. Some of my favourite records are those shitty recordings of the Sex Pistols & The Ramones. Shit, just listen back to the Beatles early stuff. Compared to today's recordings, they leave something to be desired. But that doesn't diminish the brilliant songs and risks they were willing to take.
My cousin told me once that a good guitar player can take a shitty guitar and make it sing. A bad guitar player can't do anything, even with the fanciest guitar money can buy.
DAW's and guitars have a lot in common in that regard.

MDTerps2015

05 Jan 2017

HepCat wrote:Isn't there a scientific algorithm in place for faithfully making the comparison (regardless of DAW)? It would save a lot of discussion.

Also need a template for bug reports, with a "thanks :)" at the end so nobody gets irate and the bug reporter just fills in the dotted lines and nothing else.
Selig covered this topic from top to bottom. He is very knowledgeable on this subject. I suggest the OP search for Selig and he will find his answers.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

MDTerps2015

05 Jan 2017

selig wrote:
Opps Selig I didn't realized you already posted. Sorry.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:
selig wrote:
Opps Selig I didn't realized you already posted. Sorry.
I guess this subject is like pooping - no matter how much you've done it before, eventually you must do it again.
Selig Audio, LLC

zeebot

05 Jan 2017

selig wrote:
I guess this subject is like pooping - no matter how much you've done it before, eventually you must do it again.
But who has the wipes?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

zeebot wrote:
selig wrote:
But who has the wipes?
You don't have wipe until after...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

HepCat

05 Jan 2017

Whilst l'm averse to fanboying anything except Ralph Bakshi's incomplete LOTR cartoon, l have to say: Reason instrument + delay + phaser + twisting dials = an amazing rich sound comparable to the Ensoniq ASR's FX chip.
Last edited by HepCat on 06 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

miscend

05 Jan 2017

Minimalize wrote:I have read countless discussions on the sound quality of Reason, and tonight as a result of weeks of frustration I was messing around on Ableton with some pads and synths and couldn't help but notice that the sound quality seemed so much more fuller and stronger than Reasons. What do you guys think?

If you read discussions on other forums there is a lot of discussion about how bad the sound quality in Ableton is compared to xyz. It's a constant topic of debate debate.

Reason was once commonly criticised for its sound quality. The criticism was levelled at the 14:2 mixer which apparently has a poor summing algorithm and lacks headroom. If you read Gearslutz back in the day common advice from mix engineers to was bypass the line mixers entirely and rewire the individual outs into Pro Tools. However the new SSL mixer is pretty much universally praised for its sound quality. With its near infinite headroom and floating point summing.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:

If you read discussions on other forums there is a lot of discussion about how bad the sound quality in Ableton is compared to xyz. It's a constant topic of debate debate.

Reason was once commonly criticised for its sound quality. The criticism was levelled at the 14:2 mixer which apparently has a poor summing algorithm and lacks headroom. If you read Gearslutz back in the day common advice from mix engineers to was bypass the line mixers entirely and rewire the individual outs into Pro Tools. However the new SSL mixer is pretty much universally praised for its sound quality. It has near infinite headroom.
14:2 mixer has none of the issues you mention, at least none I've ever been able to hear or measure. In almost 14 years of using Reason! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Jmax

05 Jan 2017

I have Studio One 3, Ableton and Reason.

They all sound pretty much the same on export. It all has to do with what Instruments/VSTs you're using and/or samples. E.g. Import a bunch of processed samples into Reason and bounce a track.. You'll get a huge sound without even hitting the limiter. Try loading one of Ableton's stock midi instruments. You'll notice the audio is pretty quiet.
However I do find some of the VSTs out there are huge in size GB compare to rack extensions. They might have more meat in them? producing a higher output. If your using Kontakt and have a massively huge sampled instrument, you can get a higher volume out of it without having to do much. That may be what you're referring to.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2017

There is no sound quality associated with DAWs. Sound quality is the same in all DAWs.

Maintaining sound quality in software is trivial.

Sounds come from and are determined by the synths, samplers and effects, not the DAW. Sampling is also trivial btw. There are "top quality" rack extension synths if you need variety or something different.

The more you know about programming synth patches, effects, how and when to use them and gain experience in producing a sound the better your sound will be.

You might also just have a natural liking for the reverb in live. Also don't underestimate how much the look of the GUI will alter your perception of sound. The brain is awful flaky.

On another note, many hits happily use sounds from the Factory Sound Bank for its signature riffs (and sometimes the full composition), including one that was the best selling song of 2003, and top 25th of the decade.

Hits include Nicki Minaj's anaconda, alors en dance, where is the love, and many more.

What is most important in a DAW is, do you enjoy using it, does your workflow being you towards completion and do you have the tools you need?

Go into the music store and listen to their workstation keyboards with the effects off. They will sound either awfully thin or highly synthetic.

That is a good thing.

And it is the choice of effects that makes it sound good. The choice of the effects, not the effects ;)

Hope that helps.

Kenni
Site Admin

06 Jan 2017

To me, all pop music today sounds the same. Today, all EDM music sounds the same. Same standards, same presets, same exaggerated levels on different instruments.

That problem exists no matter what DAW you use. The "reason sound" came into existence because most people used to do things the same way, using the same synths and the same dynamic processors. It's been a while since that changed and furthermore it had nothing to do with reasons technical abilities or its sound quality.

People will always complain about the sound reason/ableton/Cubase produces, and complain about how their mixes in Reason sounds flat.

It's not a DAW issue, it's a case of PEBCAC.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information